Free Member
Dec 25, 2007
Newcastle Upon Tyne
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
"Since 2005"
Just a question if you make a claim how much of your no claims bonus do you loose. Never made a claim so have 11 years no claims, do you loose the lot if making a claim. fun!!! fun!!! fun!!!

paulmold

Free Member
Jun 15, 2009
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
7 year (25yrs a tugger)
I think normally you lose two years , the maximum bonus being 5 years you would drop to 3 years.

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Depends how much NCB you have in the first place - usually (if it's not 'Protected NCD') it's 2 years but historically (not sure if it's still so) certain claims didn't affect your NCD - windscreen claims hadn't used to for instance, and obviously it's only when you were at fault or there is no trace or no insurance of a Third Party who caused damage to your vehicle.

If it was the first year or two of your first cover for that type of vehicle so you only had starter discount for the first year then in year two your first year's 'real' NCD, then you'd be back to square one. If it happened in year 6, you'd revert to year 4 level.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Even if you have an protected NCB your insurance premium will still go up and it will on every other vehicle you own as well even if they are insured with different companies, it all gets logs on the insurance data base.

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
It may increase lenny but that's because the base premium will have gone up - you'll still get the same %age discount though.

joncris

Free Member
Jan 11, 2011
Where it matters
Funster No
MH
Rimor Katamarano 12p +
Exp
Even if you have an protected NCB your insurance premium will still go up and it will on every other vehicle you own as well even if they are insured with different companies, it all gets logs on the insurance data base.

Dunno so much despite my 2 claims last year amounting to a few thousand quid (Hymer written off & no 3rd party to blame) my family block insurance covering all our vehicles has gone down :)

OP
OP
tick59

tick59

Free Member
Dec 25, 2007
Newcastle Upon Tyne
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
"Since 2005"
Thanks for all the answers the reason i was asking is my skylight cover on my helki was damaged by kids throwin stones on the motorway. I heard the noise stopped and looked on the roof of the van could not see the damage untill i stopped and opened sky light.Side has been damaged and looking at £400-00p to fix. Paid insurance for years no claims now it seems it is going to cost me and not insurace company. What a waste of money insurance is. fun!!! fun!!! fun!!!

joncris

Free Member
Jan 11, 2011
Where it matters
Funster No
MH
Rimor Katamarano 12p +
Exp

Your problem will be that even if no claim is made you still have to report the incident to your insurer

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Your problem will be that even if no claim is made you still have to report the incident to your insurer
Why ? I've technically written vehicles off , albeit that they have been repaired privately, without ever telling an insurance company. Wouldn't even occur to me to tell them unless I was requiring them to pay.

joncris

Free Member
Jan 11, 2011
Where it matters
Funster No
MH
Rimor Katamarano 12p +
Exp
Why ? I've technically written vehicles off , albeit that they have been repaired privately, without ever telling an insurance company. Wouldn't even occur to me to tell them unless I was requiring them to pay.

I think you'll find its in the T's & C's AND if they discover what's happened they can and will probably void your insurance refusing to accept any further claims

Their argument is that it gives them an overall picture of your driving which they may use to assess risk and your premium So without knowing that you've had previous incidents they'll claim that your insurance is invalid as it was wrongly assessed

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I think you'll find its in the T's & C's AND if they discover what's happened they can and will probably void your insurance refusing to accept any further claims

Their argument is that it gives them an overall picture of your driving which they may use to assess risk and your premium So without knowing that you've had previous incidents they'll claim that your insurance is invalid as it was wrongly assessed
but the big question is how are they going to find out if no third party was involved and the repair cost was self funded.

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Lenny - that's not what I meant at all.

If an Insurer decides to increase all it's premiums on motor insurance, or on partic makes or models of vehicles - that's when the basic premium increases. The fact you've had or haven't had a claim or have only passed your test 5 minutes or 35 years ago, also has no bearing on the basic price. That aspect - there will be a minimum requirement - has no bearing.

Your postcode will then have a bearing - all our premiums for relevant covers reduced when we moved to this house since insurers have less claims across the board here.

Finally some covers benefit from a No Claims Discount and that varies depending on how many years worth you are entitled to.

It's by no means unheard of to get a reduction even after a claim.

joncris

Free Member
Jan 11, 2011
Where it matters
Funster No
MH
Rimor Katamarano 12p +
Exp
but the big question is how are they going to find out if no third party was involved and the repair cost was self funded.

Duuno but they sometimes do find out hence voiding the insurance cover when you make a claim

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Lenny - that's not what I meant at all.

If an Insurer decides to increase all it's premiums on motor insurance, or on partic makes or models of vehicles - that's when the basic premium increases. The fact you've had or haven't had a claim or have only passed your test 5 minutes or 35 years ago, also has no bearing on the basic price. That aspect - there will be a minimum requirement - has no bearing.
Sorry Jenny that's not how they work anymore it used to be years ago but no more.

I had a small claim (just under a 1k) on my last van it was 50/50 blame my Motorhome insurer classed it as a "No Fault" claim and had no effect on the price a t renewal time, but but the insurer for both my car & my wife's car classed a 50/50 blame as a "My Fault" accident and as a result both policies had an increase on them.

Also have a look at this.

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Well it's never been a 'No Blame' discount since it was invented lenny. If it's a third parties fault, your insurer still has to do some work anyway.

Though when you own 3 motorbikes 2 cars and a motorhome I agree it comes as a shock when they all go up cos some lowlife tries to break in through your Moho hab door hundreds of miles away from home.

Still cheaper than the cost of Moho repairs would have been though !

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back