Nov 12, 2012
west yorkshire
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Over 10 years
Hello

I am trying to get my head round the advantages and disadvantages of a 3 way fridge over a compressor. When I bought my current campervan a few years ago 3 way fridges seemed to be great but tempermental, not like slopes and need lots of care and attention. I have found that that the compressor fridge is ok except in very hot weather when the battery is not charging. Also they are really expensive to replace!

Anybody got a view from their experience?

ronidog

UK Pete

Free Member
Jan 16, 2014
kent
Funster No
MH
Renault van conversion
Exp
on/off since 1991in campervanss
Having had both , i sway towards the compressor it suits my needs perfectly, and if you are solar powered like myself, it runs off the sun, you can hear a small thump when the fridge turns on and off but other than that its quite and efficient , a bit more expensive i know, but the less gas appliances i have the better
pete

Deleted User
If you think 12v compressor fridges are expensive to replace then compare them with the price of dometic 3 way equivalents. To replace our largish fridge/freezer in a Hymer caravan would have been about £1400. As we are always on hookup it was replaced with a domestic 240v model for around £170.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I am trying to get my head round the advantages and disadvantages of a 3 way fridge over a compressor.

you won't be the first .. or the last.. I've also wrestled with this conundrum..

Much depends on your style of camping.. if you are moving every other day, park wild, use sites etc etc

For obvious reasons, the absorption 3 way fridge has the most flexible fuel source, ie 3 ways.. but on the downside, less rugged, the newer models seem to have a lot more electronics so less reliable and costly to repair..and, if you are traveling outside the EU comfort zone.. possibly hard to get repaired.

For these reasons I think most expedition campers prefer a compressor fridge.. more reliable, less to go wrong, and works in all climates.

Summing up..
You travel most days, don't use sites much, travel outside the EU, are prepared to fit solar panels, an extra battery, and perhaps a B2B charger.. go Compressor.
or
You tend to stay on sites with EHU, travel mostly in the EU , don't want the expense and or the added payload of solar and a bigger battery bank.. go with the 3 way absorption fridge.

On balance.. the 3 way is probably the most suitable for most peoples needs..

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Other advantages of the compressor fridge are, no running costs, no ugly holes in the side of the van and no draughts. Its a winner for us.

Good points.. 1 & 2

however, if it's been installed correctly there should be absolutely no draughts with a 3 way .. draughts mean it's a dodgy installation.. or a bodge. and may allow CO gas into the hab area.

Feb 4, 2010
Mid. Glamorgan, S. Wales
Funster No
MH
Motorhutch / Toy Camper
Exp
Since 2010
Summing up..
You travel most days, don't use sites much, travel outside the EU, are prepared to fit solar panels, an extra battery, and perhaps a B2B charger.. go Compressor.
or
You tend to stay on sites with EHU, travel mostly in the EU , don't want the expense and or the added payload of solar and a bigger battery bank.. go with the 3 way absorption fridge

Just to confuse things a bit, I would argue that if you're staying on sites with EHU a lot then a compressor is fine because you don't have to worry about battery drain.

I don't bother adding the 2nd battery to my (limited storage space) van when I'm heading off on a trip where I know there's EHU powering my Waeco/Dometic compressor.

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
What Scotjim said in #4 plus we have a compressor Fridge in our current PVC, we also have 2 hab batteries and can only say we will be sad to get our new van with a 3 way. The compressor works great as long as you run it overnight before you start off on a trip and all the stuff you put in it is already chilled. If it isn't pre-chilled the fridge takes a bit of time to bring it to where it needs to be. Compressor 9/10 3 way 7/10 ( in our experience).

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I don't know but just looking at Amazon there are A+ rated fridge/freezers that are only rated at 50watts and cost less than £200. Would it be feasible to run one of these from an inverter (which are now pretty cheap) rather than forking out loads for a 12v model.
Anyone know ?

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I don't know but just looking at Amazon there are A+ rated fridge/freezers that are only rated at 50watts and cost less than £200. Would it be feasible to run one of these from an inverter (which are now pretty cheap) rather than forking out loads for a 12v model.
Anyone know ?
Can't answer the elctrical question, however a domestic (ie household) type fridge/freezer isn't meant to be constantly 'bumped' around in a vehicle so that may have a bearing.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Anyone know ?

Quite feasible and no electrical reason why not .. but.. as Minxy says, domestic units are not built to stand up to the rigours of traveling in a van, so that may shorten the life..

however .. a certain Funster @vwalan with a mini artic runs a domestic fridge/freezer in his trailer. ... and I think also on solar power..

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
Anyone know ?

Good one and I too will be interested in the answer RR.
Just seen Scotjim #11 and am inclined to go with that response.

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
Don't know the ins and outs, had a 3 way Electrolux AES for last 14 years, hasn't missed a beat wilding++ and hook up, it just seems to work! Last van had the same but an older 1983 model, that worked perfectly too, unless you were parked on a hill!

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
So if you are parked on a hill what happens?

you roll out of bed.. :LOL:

absorption fridges on any power source need to be level to work properly, if run on a slope they won't cool properly and it can damage them..

Doesn't need to be perfectly level.. IIRC up to 5deg is ok.. check the handbook

this diagram may help explain why being level is important

coolunit.gif

OP
OP
R

ronidog1

Free Member
Nov 12, 2012
west yorkshire
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Over 10 years
Each time I park on a hill I must turn off the fridge? Not too good for a panel van used in the hillier parts of the UK!

OP
OP
R

ronidog1

Free Member
Nov 12, 2012
west yorkshire
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Over 10 years
Jim, I was thinking of parking the van on a hill for a day whilst walking

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
always have had 3 way, but one in present van is so efficient even in high summer it amazed me...I discovered its because of the way its been installed..properly! yes its just a stock fridge but can freeze the contents if you turn up the stat to high even in 35+ deg. all the vans I have had have struggled and i have fitted fans etc to get them to work in the past

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Jim, I was thinking of parking the van on a hill for a day whilst walking

same answer..
but when you park up the fridge will be cold and if full of food and drinks will remain cold for a while without being on.. so out walking for the day should be ok..

suck it and see

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
at the moment i,m using an iceking undercounter fridge with a freezer box . have had an undercounter fridge /freezer in here. use it off solar /batteries and inverter. it uses about 440wats but only for about 20mins in one hour.
been all over maroc off roading and in spain /portugal most years . hardly ever park on the level .best places are where its unlevel. doesnt have any probs . mind if we get a week of rain in portugal that can soon flat the batteries.
i took out the freezer/fridge as travelling alone it took ages to finish the frozen food and wasted fridge space. but it worked fine.
with carefull parking on a downwards slope i can put handbrake on trailer then reverse truck and very often get the trailer level. thats another bonus of the artic.
but the compressor fridges work on quite slopey set ups.

Dogeared

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 16, 2013
Blackburn
Funster No
MH
Eldiss autoquest 155
Exp
Since 2011
Our previous van had a compressor fridge, we added a spare leisure battery to try and cope with meets like the Chester one. We never managed more than four days, with minimum use of other electrics. Also really spoilt being away having to constantly monitor the batteries. Never again. This van six weeks in France, but with added solar panel. Never used hook up once.

Unless you are going on sites always with elec hookup, don't bother.

Baz

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
When I purchased my current van 18 months ago the one thing that I was concerned about was the fact it had a compressor fridge. I had a second battery fit at the time of purchase and have since had a solar panel fitted. Having had this set up now for some time I can honestly say I prefer the compressor fridge, it chills a lot quicker and the ice box is great. It may be a small fridge but I do think it is better than my previous absorption fridges.

Jul 1, 2012
Nr Whitby
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
On & off since late70s
Usually move each day, twin leisure batteries, small solar panel and compressor fridge. Much prefer it to 3 way.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back