Getting the run around from insurance company. (1 Viewer)

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
As you may know our motorhome was damaged by debris during a storm.

We contacted the insurance company and got a claims number, took it in to Knowepark for an estimate, as requested, and Knowepark sent the estimate to them within two days as they already had all the prices as we'd pre-warned them. Then ... nothing ... not a sausage.

Phoned the insurance people today and they now say they need photos of the van where it was when damaged, showing the damage and the number plate on the same photo.... which would be impossible since it is the roof lights that were smashed along with a scratch on the roof and the aerial. Luckily we did take photos of the roof before we took it to Knowepark. THey also say they need more information but couldn't tell me what that information is. At no point have we had any communication from the insurance company saying they need more information so I suppose we are supposed to be mind readers and guess what they need - especially the information they want but won't tell us what it is.

So no sign of getting the moorhome repaired or getting it back.

Sorry for the rant. They are quick enough to take your money but not so keen to settle a claim.

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Whose the insurers Helen? What a pain but I know you are more than able for them :)

OP
OP
Puddleduck

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
ERS (used to be known as Eagle Red Star) - the broker was AIB

Jan 25, 2013
Dorchester, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
Sad former owner
Exp
Since 1991
What a surprise! How about initially being refused a claim for the death of my wife as a passenger as she was not in the car at the time of the impact as I was changing the wheel and hence "not a passenger". I couldn't even find the small print, let alone read it!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Could you take a photo from an upstairs window that shows the roof & number plate if you can't do it on your property what about a friends or neighbors, probably easier to try and do what they ask than argue with them . You could suggest that if they are not happy with the situation they send their loss adjuster to inspect the van.

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Could you take a photo from an upstairs window that shows the roof & number plate if you can't do it on your property what about a friends or neighbors, probably easier to try and do what they ask than argue with them . You could suggest that if they are not happy with the situation they send their loss adjuster to inspect the van.
The MH is already at the repairers

OP
OP
Puddleduck

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp

The van is now at Knowepark, we did take photos but as the damage is to the roof it wouldn't be possible to get the number plate in the same photo - we did take photos from our windows. It was also imperative that the smashed roof light was covered asap as the rain was pouring in - in fact the insurance company told us to do that immediately but no mention of photos at that point. Knowepark got the verbal go ahead to replace one of the roof lights as that was the one that was letting in water even when covered and they have done that - so now I am wondering of ERS will turn down that part of the claim and say they didn't give the go ahead.

OP
OP
Puddleduck

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
What a surprise! How about initially being refused a claim for the death of my wife as a passenger as she was not in the car at the time of the impact as I was changing the wheel and hence "not a passenger". I couldn't even find the small print, let alone read it!

The "like" wasn't because of your awful story but in sympathy. So sorry you went through the additional *@@*. These people have no compassion.

OP
OP
Puddleduck

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
The saga continues.

Knowepark sent off photos on Friday and we called ERS on Monday to see what else was needed and if any progress had been made. The claim was in someone's in-tray and had been since the last time we called them even though we had been promised it would be progressed. We were told it would be sent to the engineer that day and they would contact Knowepark immediately. So we left it until today. Caled Knowepark and they hadn't heard anything. Back on to ERS - yes, we sent everything to the engineer, could you check please as Knowepark haven't heard from you. We'll ring you back..... and they did. The engineer has not received the paperwork (same building - just a different desk). Can you resend it as it's all electronic? Hmmmmm not sure. Oh, yes, I've found the file I'll send it again now and you will hear from us early next week.

Not holding my breath.

Luckily the parts aren't due in to Knowepark until end of February / early March but I want the van back on the road asap........

paulmold

Free Member
Jun 15, 2009
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
7 year (25yrs a tugger)
To me this is standard 'Equity Red Star' service. I had a claim with them a few years ago and they were awful. Even now when I ring around for quotes I always ask which company the broker is quoting for and I won't even get a quote from them . If memory is correct one of the major clubs insures through them and I avoid them like the plague.

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Camping and caravan club use them, i was trying to get quotes for a brand new motor home today and they were not interested as it does not have a tracker, looks like a lucky escape, I know what ERS stands for now mr puddleduck.

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
This claim mirrors a claim with ERS (through Adrian Flux), I had when tugging.
I eventually had to call in the Ombudman and, afte 20months of stalling ( no, not for the substantive claim, the recovery of excess) the Ombudsman got me it back in four days.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
write to them demanding immediate action or you will be employing a solicitor on your behalf and sending them the invoice

joncris

Free Member
Jan 11, 2011
Where it matters
Funster No
MH
Rimor Katamarano 12p +
Exp
If I'm not mistaken ERS (once known as Eagle Red Star) is a Lloyds Syndicate and yes they have a lousy reputation always have allegedly
Also you can sue your agent namely ERS so if their dithering causes you to lose out on any meets shows etc you can include 'loss of amenity' in any claim

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
As you may know our motorhome was damaged by debris during a storm.

We contacted the insurance company and got a claims number, took it in to Knowepark for an estimate, as requested, and Knowepark sent the estimate to them within two days as they already had all the prices as we'd pre-warned them. Then ... nothing ... not a sausage.

Phoned the insurance people today and they now say they need photos of the van where it was when damaged, showing the damage and the number plate on the same photo.... which would be impossible since it is the roof lights that were smashed along with a scratch on the roof and the aerial. Luckily we did take photos of the roof before we took it to Knowepark. THey also say they need more information but couldn't tell me what that information is. At no point have we had any communication from the insurance company saying they need more information so I suppose we are supposed to be mind readers and guess what they need - especially the information they want but won't tell us what it is.

So no sign of getting the moorhome repaired or getting it back.

Sorry for the rant. They are quick enough to take your money but not so keen to settle a claim.

Understandable rant Pd and I'm sorry you're having problems. I am interested, and I'm sure others are too, in the outcome. Should you have the time will you keep this thread running until you get an outcome please?

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988

AS Pd has already said, the like is not for the content of your heartbreaking post but for the fact that you have been brave enough to post it, thank you. Words cannnot describe what I feel about these shysters.

paulmold

Free Member
Jun 15, 2009
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
7 year (25yrs a tugger)
Can we just clarify that ERS is the new name for Equity Red Star - Eagle Star are now part of Zurich.

calion

Free Member
Sep 3, 2014
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
since 2008
Reading this makes me feel so angry and frustrated on your behalf. As you quite rightly said, they are quick enough to take your money. Grrrrr

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
Aviva were no better with the claim on my motorhome.

They lost the paperwork twice (n)

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
While I have every sympathy for the op, this thread does show up , when looking for insurance quotes that price is not the only consideration when buying, I had the same problems with cheaper insurance people and now stick to the Nfu for all my insurance , not the cheapest by miles but always there when you need them, and not suggesting they are the only good ones out there but when looking everything needs to be looked at.

Daifuse

Free Member
Feb 20, 2013
Milford Haven
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Since 2011
While I have every sympathy for the op, this thread does show up , when looking for insurance quotes that price is not the only consideration when buying, I had the same problems with cheaper insurance people and now stick to the Nfu for all my insurance , not the cheapest by miles but always there when you need them, and not suggesting they are the only good ones out there but when looking everything needs to be looked at.

That's why I've stayed with LV= (via Frizzels) since time immemorial - vehicles, house, contents etc. Never any problems, quick efficient and very helpful.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
NFU are good but so much more expensive, I used them in the past for caravans & used them while importing the current (changed after I had it registered). NFU £530, Comfort £252, I had a claim with Comfort on previous van premium didn't increase following year.

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
We had to make a claim for 3.5k only 4 days into having a policy with Saga, they were very good.

I hope it gets sorted out quickly and to your satisfaction Puddleduck.

OP
OP
Puddleduck

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
Today's update....

Knowepark left a message when we were out to say they still hadn't heard anything so another call to ERS. A very nice lady (Sam) chased things up including making a call to their engineers who have promised to go and look at the van on Monday at the latest.

Once they have given to go ahead the new rooflight can be ordered (one has already been fitted to make things watertight). there is a six week lead time on that part :(

So now we are waiting again. Looks like the van will be off the road until end March at least.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
NFU are good but so much more expensive, I used them in the past for caravans & used them while importing the current (changed after I had it registered). NFU £530, Comfort £252, I had a claim with Comfort on previous van premium didn't increase following year.
Nfu for ours this year £258

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I am not pushing Nfu but for anyone who hasn't used them, don't bother with phone ing them or doing anything online, they have offices in most towns , go in and talk to them face to face and do a bit of bargaining , you will be surprised how they will come round, same if you need to claim , go in and sort it there and then.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back