Sound quality on TV (1 Viewer)

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
My wife is partially deaf and has great difficulty hearing TVs with rear facing speakers.

For years we have used a portable, flat screen, 230v TV in the Motorhome as the speakers were forward facing and the sound, therefore, clearer.

However, it is a square aspect (not16:9) and analogue only. We have used it with a digi box to get the digital signal.

We are now changing our M/H and there is nowhere to fit the digibox nearby so the time has come to change.

Can anyone suggest a suitable 230/12v, digital TV with forward facing speakers?

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
i wish we had spent more time looking for a suitable TV rather than taking in recommendations and feedback on websites;

do not buy a Cello TV... bought a 12v 16" reputed and reported to have excellent picture and great sound quality... NOPE!
picture is OK...
sound is utter crap so bad we have plugged in a separate speaker system..

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
i wish we had spent more time looking for a suitable TV rather than taking in recommendations and feedback on websites;

do not buy a Cello TV... bought a 12v 16" reputed and reported to have excellent picture and great sound quality... NOPE!
picture is OK...
sound is utter crap so bad we have plugged in a separate speaker system..

I agree with the above and we also run through separate speakers with the Cello----Oh and the remote is crap

Trikeman

Free Member
Aug 22, 2012
Wilds of Ceredigion.
Funster No
MH
AT 634 Apache.
Exp
Since 2011.
My wife is partially deaf and has great difficulty hearing TVs with rear facing speakers.

For years we have used a portable, flat screen, 230v TV in the Motorhome as the speakers were forward facing and the sound, therefore, clearer.

However, it is a square aspect (not16:9) and analogue only. We have used it with a digi box to get the digital signal.

We are now changing our M/H and there is nowhere to fit the digibox nearby so the time has come to change.

Broken Link Removed

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
I agree with the above and we also run through separate speakers with the Cello----Oh and the remote is crap[/QUOTE]

yep i agree that too and had to return ours for loss of picture after only 2 months. pure C**p IMO

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

GaryH61

Free Member
Feb 13, 2015
Horwich Greater Manchester AKA Lancs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Auto Stratus
Exp
Since 2014
I am also half deaf, left ear defunct after childhood operation now only there to keep my glasses from going crooked :).

But with all the advances in technology and electronics sound is now at its best given the size of the speakers and the box they are sat in has been greatly reduced from the big back telly days.

The problem is not the TV nor the speakers.

Its more basic than that

Its you put crap in you get crap out.

The diction on TV nowadays is so poor it is difficult for the majority of people to understand let alone hear what is being said.

Subtitles also frustrate my because if you can hear somethings and you want to use subtitles for the missed bits there are so many mistakes and lags in time you are better turning the sound off. Not good when watching with someone who doesn't need the subs.

So I'me afraid were stuck with it :madder:

If your not living on the edge your taking up too much room::bigsmile:

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Yet another vote for the wonderful sound quality of Cello :(. Ours has been relegated to the kitchen in the house where it rarely gets used and we've put the old Avtex back in the van. I've been looking at the 24" Avtex to assist my dubious eyesight but at £425 odd I've yet to take the plunge.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007

All TV speakers are poor due to the small size, my solution, fix a pair of decent sized PC speakers to the side of the TV, excellent sound.

OP
OP
maison
Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Seems like a good solution.

Many thanks.

Neckender

Free Member
Oct 15, 2007
Neckend or North Wales.
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1Kombi day Van
Exp
Since 2004

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
You can connect to the TV sound output via the Scart socket or or the headphone output (3mm mini jack), some TV's may have sound out on phono sockets. Run screened cables through the van to the rear of your stereo unit in the dash and connect to one of the Aux inputs which is normally phono connectors.
The hard bit is running the cables, on mine I went out under the floor along the chassis back in via the battery box (same route I took with the reversing cameras).

To give more detailed help need to know TV make & model & same for your head unit.

Aug 30, 2012
Home of the war horse
Funster No
MH
burstnar T640
Exp
Use a long wire from headphone socket on tv to external input on cad radio
I don't know what inputs you have on radio so you would have to check then order correct extension wire

I have just ordered one of the Bluetooth units to try that will let you all know how that goes on later

Lenny beat me too it :mad::)

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
Used to have ours wired through a soundbar, then bought one of these and now run the tv though it and also use it on battery power outside with iPod on Bluetooth - best of all worlds!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back