ed pick

Free Member
Oct 13, 2014
mansfield
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Just to enlighten you all to a scam using the gumtree selling site had my motor home for sale on it,
See his mail to me
Thanks mate for your details,the asking price & conditions is ok
l'm buying it for my son as a gift ,I won't be able to Inspect due to
the nature of my work overseas, would 've love to call in person
but satellite server has been down which restrict calls,l'm presently
working on offshore as a petroleum engineering.
Regarding your payment, please get back to me with your paypal
details in order for me to make payment to you cos that my only
method of payment, my courier will contact you for pick it up and
deliver it in my place after payment has been made to you.

I would appreciate if you can email me any pictures of it (if available) ,
please send me your paypaldetails to send funds to you ASAP.
Needless to say I sent one back telling him I only deal with people face to face
cleardot.gif

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Sorry you had a time waster. Glad it was really transparent - awful English and no one would ever buy an expensive motorhome from a private seller unseen.

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Blatantly transparent! Why would he need your paypal details? To make a payment he goes to his paypal account and pays you, all he would need is the username (I think).
One of my hobbies is wasting the time of scammers, any chance you can PM me the email address, I am bored right now, and could do with a laugh.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
That's one that keep coming up had similar one when I advertised my last van, I wonder if anyones fallen for it, hope not.

Last edited:

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
LOL we posted at the same time. OK my reply was (hacker alias has been removed :) ):
Hi Katrina,

Thanks for your response to my ad for my Motorhome, sorry to hear that you won't be able to make it in person to inspect the van. The van is in A1 condition, in fact I had a cyberdyne systems alarm fitted not long ago, I am assured that this is the best available.

I can certainly provide you my paypal details for payment, just let me know what you need and I will email them to you.

As for collection, when I receive payment, I can let you know where to collect the van from.

Regards,
XXXXXXX

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Well a small update today, I suspect that the address is linked to an automailer, I got a reply that is exactly the same as the OP got. Therefore I don't think I will get much fun from this, since I never get to speak to the scammers, but we'll see. I fired off a new email to them today.

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
I stand corrected, just received an email:
All i need is your paypal email so i can make the payment as soon as possible thanks

I am now intrigued, I can't see where this is going. I have sent my (false) details, so lets see! :D

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
OK, it is not a very sophisticated scam, I just received an email claiming that money has been transferred, which is interesting since the paypal account I gave does not exist. I have been asked to remove the ad and give a time and date for pickup. If they fall for it, there will be video of the hapless scammer which I will post up :D

joncris

Free Member
Jan 11, 2011
Where it matters
Funster No
MH
Rimor Katamarano 12p +
Exp
KATRINA!!!! she's (or should I say he) is well known for this scam. Should they come and visit make sure you have plenty of heavy back-up as these buggers don't muck about cos when they realize you've conned them instead they can be violent

joncris

Free Member
Jan 11, 2011
Where it matters
Funster No
MH
Rimor Katamarano 12p +
Exp
AND get their bank account details (it will exist & usually its Barclays) so that account can be stopped closed by the bank

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
KATRINA!!!! she's (or should I say he) is well known for this scam. Should they come and visit make sure you have plenty of heavy back-up as these buggers don't muck about cos when they realize you've conned them instead they can be violent
Don't panic, I have done this many times, if they arrange a pickup time there will be a nasty surprise waiting for them ;-)

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Oh this is disappointing, it is a simple advance fee fraud, email just received:

I was just about to pay when i had this problem with the pick up, my pick up agent says l will need to pay for the pick up fees before they can schedule a pick up time, they charged me £300 for pick up and delivery, and payments for pick up made through them is made to their corporate international headquarters which is in China, the payments is made through western union money transfer, l will add the sum of £300 to the money l will be sending through PayPal now, as soon as l have made the payments, l will email you and let you know, Please l will need you to help me send the money to my pick up agent Hq in China through western union money transfer, this can be done at any Western Union Outlet or post office ,there is always western union money transfer section outlet around you (you can also do it online at Broken Link Removed)...,l would have done it myself but as l am at sea and l forget to bring my credit card aboard, l am a little incapacitated. I will appreciate your help here.

So they have no intention of coming to get the non-existent van, they just want the £300. I'll string them along for a little longer. :D

Bobndebs McKay

Free Member
Jul 15, 2014
Bali for the Winter!! Back in Feb 2016
Funster No
MH
Hobby 750 FMSE
Exp
5 months travelling Through France, Spain, Portugal, Germany and Holland as a Full timer in our firs
I have a German Colleague here who was almost scammed by a bloke up in Hartlepool. One of our English lads here is from Hartlepool so he got involved and sent his "brother" round to look at "the car" ( a Mercedes ) surprise surprise, there was no one there who knew the "vendor" and no Merc lol alls well that Ends well:D

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
I am not going to tell anyone how this is done, but attached is the Western Union receipt that I emailed over to Katrina. Interestingly, the recipient is a Chinese person. Anyway here it is for your amusement :D

Attachments

• western union receipt.jpg
    western union receipt.jpg
    146.3 KB · Views: 80

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Oh no!! Apparently the money wasn't available at the Western Union branch. I don't know how that could have happened! :D
Anyway, I have asked them to send me a photo to prove identity, I am really hoping that they comply, because my request was frankly ridiculous :D
I'll post if I get it, and you will all see what I mean LOL

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Just to let you all know, significant negotiation is taking place. I have claimed that I will re-send the Western Union, if he sends me a photo of himself holding a banner that says "FUNSTERS RULE" he's trying to wriggle at the moment :D

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
I think this will be the last post, our scammer is getting very annoyed with me. He/She has been off to the Western Union again, and the money wasn't there again. I don't know why that would be :D

Anyway, I think this all serves as a warning, unless you have endless time on your hands like me, best to just ignore these idiots :D

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Oh my god, this guys greed is certainly getting in the way of his better judgement. He has agreed to bring a cheque along for the full amount and collect the 'van'. I gave my address as 2-4 Cockspur Street, London SW1Y 5BS

Google that for a laugh :D

I wonder if he'll show up?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back