Jun 23, 2013
Hurworth-on-Tees, Darlington, UK
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun Ti 650 MEG
Exp
Since July 2013 but been camping for 25+ years
Hi,

I've brought the MH to stick on the drive and connect the EHU to make sure the batteries are nice and charged and to do a couple of little jobs. I thought I'd put a bit of water in the tank and get the heating on for a few hours, but with the current air temperature the boiler keeps on dumping the water until the air in the area of the boiler is hotter than 7deg. Any ideas of a way to fool this into not dumping the water (other than sticking a hair dryer in the for a while) ?

motorhomer

Free Member
May 17, 2008
South Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005 (but 30 years caravanning)
You don't need water in the tank to put the heating on. So run the heating for a little while without water, it should then warm up and stop dumping. I'm pretty sure it covers this in the truma manual.

Apr 23, 2010
Isle Of Man
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 years
Hi chopper602 with your setup you should be able to turn on blown air heating by using the winter heat setting on your Truma 6E without having to put water in the boiler,once the van is warm just close the frost protection lever.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
chopper602
Jun 23, 2013
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun Ti 650 MEG
Exp
Ok, too late in the evening to try it now, but I'll give it a go in the morning. I didn't think that putting it into heating only would produce enough excess heat to allow the 'FrostControl' valve to allow closure. The boiler is at the far side of the garage (only one door!), so you have to go in on knees and access through a small gap, 'cos the spare wheel is there too!

Last edited:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I've read somewhere that you can use a clothes peg to stop the dump valve from tripping......not tried it myself.
Not recommended in the weather we are having currently. Last thing you want is the water in the boiler freezing.

We have our habitation service booked for a week tomorrow. Hopefully I will be able to put some water in the tank on Sunday and it won't be cold enough to dump it Sunday night. If not it's an early start on the Monday :)

May 20, 2009
Haute Vienne, France
Funster No
Not recommended in the weather we are having currently. Last thing you want is the water in the boiler freezing.

We have our habitation service booked for a week tomorrow. Hopefully I will be able to put some water in the tank on Sunday and it won't be cold enough to dump it Sunday night. If not it's an early start on the Monday :)
Maybe i should have added 'Only use as a temporary measure and not recommended as a permanent fix' (y)

Reactions: GJH

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
I've read somewhere that you can use a clothes peg to stop the dump valve from tripping......not tried it myself.

That is for the previous generation boilers, the 4E & 6E boilers are different.
No water is neaded to run the heating, & unless you actually want hot water, I would refrain from putting any in. That way it can't freeze.

Margaritaman

Free Member
Oct 27, 2013
East Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile C Class
Exp
since 2008
You can download a copy of the operating instructions for the Truma 6E here
Broken Link Removed

Page 13 explains how to set up for Winter operation (without water)

HTH
Chris

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I've just checked the instructions for our Truma C3402 and it can apparently be operated with or without water in the boiler.

There are instructions for operation of various Truma heating/water systems Here.

OP
OP
chopper602
Jun 23, 2013
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun Ti 650 MEG
Exp
I've put some water in tonight for an extended weekend away and as it's plugged in I wanted to make sure the heating was working Ok. Even thought the temperature was about 6deg, the dump valve wouldn't shut off. MrsTheWifes hairdryer came out and eventually I could get it to stop dumping. The water heater is being left on overnight so we should be Ok tomorrow. Time will tell if it's still Ok by the time we get to the Lake District . . .
How do people get round this when away from power?

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
The C6 has a mechanical dump valve shouldn't operate until the temperature around it is down to 3 deg. As said with the heating on shouldn't be a problem, Truma sell an electric heater for it that operates when hot water is on, it's about ÂŁ35. You can hold the button in by wedging it with a pice of wood, but just remember a new tank hundreds and complete new unit well over a grand.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
the dump valve doesn't operate when the heater is on.

On a C6002 true but we are talking about a C6 which has a mechanical dump valve remote from the heater, however with the heater on the space around the valve should be warm enough for it not to dump.

Reactions: GJH

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back