Newcastleton, Scottish borders
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
8yrs
Hi

Started of with a buzzer step not working......................now

disconnected buzzer switch........12v system not working, hook up 240v not working
checked van fuses...........melted blade fuse for heater cab blower
checked heater under dash...........housing has a hole.....melted !!

All on a b564 hymer 2002

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Oh dear. I've got no idea Margrea , but I'll reply to get you back on the front page.
B

Reactions: CWH
Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
seems there has been a serious electrical short in the cab area. it need proper checking out, you dont want any fires...

sorry dont mean to scare . but get it looked at by an electrician.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
margrae

margrae

Free Member
Oct 18, 2009
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
8yrs
OMG........other prob is exhaust fell off so am awaiting replacement, live in the scottish borders in the sticks so not easy to find an auto electrician.

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
OMG........other prob is exhaust fell off so am awaiting replacement, live in the scottish borders in the sticks so not easy to find an auto electrician.

If you have any campsites near you you could ask them---sometimes mobile caravan/motorhome engineers etc leave their cards at campsites or advertise on their boards.

OP
OP
margrae

margrae

Free Member
Oct 18, 2009
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
8yrs
Have now checked large fuses in engine bay beside starter motor all was ok but now the 12v system is working. Don't know if taking them out and putting them back has rest the elektroblok. Took the resister out of the heater blower and it doesn't look burnt...will need to try and take the blower out and see if it is seized or something. awaiting delivery of replacement exhaust, which will have to be adapted but a friend of mine can do that.

OP
OP
margrae

margrae

Free Member
Oct 18, 2009
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
8yrs
Here are some pics of heater blower
4.jpg
3.jpg
1.jpg
2.jpg

Attachments

• 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 30
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    148.2 KB · Views: 29
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 30
Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
What was the problem in the end, was it the fan motor ? What chassis/engine is your van based on ?

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Have you tried simply typing into google the parts you want, usually Breakers Yard.com will pick it up and then scrap yards from all over the UK know and any that have the relevant part get in touch, we have used this for the cars and motorhome and it is very successful . Good luck with your search.

Reactions: JJ
OP
OP
margrae

margrae

Free Member
Oct 18, 2009
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
8yrs
Have only taken the resister out at the moment, don't know if I can get to the fan its self without removing some of the dash. The resister doesn't look damaged but it was the housing beside the resister that melted. I might just have to try and repair hole myself.......re-melt it !!! The chassis nos is based on the Ducato 230 I think.
I am in the process of getting an exhaust done here at home so cannot take the van to a garage but saying that the garage I contacted and the auto electrician I spoke to didn't fill me with confidence.

Dec 27, 2014
Funster No
That housing is a pig to replace.... been there, done that.
Looks like the blower motor may have a seized bearing causing binding, causing the resistor to overheat. I actually have a housing in the store, but it's here in Ireland. Could work something out if you're completely stuck.

OP
OP
margrae

margrae

Free Member
Oct 18, 2009
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
8yrs
Hi Jonkil
I have climate control and the button for this had no cover on it and sometimes it was difficult to tell if it was on or off........don't know if that could be a factor. I only used the motor home last year for a few days in the autumn and never noticed anything wrong .
If you could help that would be great.....I am fed up searching. You could pm me regarding cost.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Hi Margrea,

Both myself, and a friend, (another Hymer/Fiat owner) have had the same problem, and in both cases, it seemed to manifest itself when the Air Con was being used. With ours, I found that the resistor for the twin engine cooling fans appeared to be the culprit, (charred looking due to overheating) and despite if being a Fiat 230 model, I had to go to Peugeot for the replacement Boxer/Citroen/Fiat (Eurovan) part. It fits into the back of the radiator, and controls the twin cooling fans, which also operate, as soon as you turn on the air con, regardless of engine temperature.

Because of the melted terminal for fuse No13, and with Suggy's advice (electrician) at Saltfleet, I bought a 30A Maxi fuse and holder, and at the next meet, we managed to bypass terminal No13, and everything works as it should now, with engine fans, air con, and heater blower fan all working together.
As an aside, our erratic fuel gauge is also behaving itself now. ;)

My friend had to replace his fuse box, but I am not sure "exactly" what caused his initial problem. I personally don't think that the little 30A blade fuse, or possibly the fuse holder terminals, are man enough for the job of carrying the current for the power hungry items operated through them.

Good luck with spares and repairs,

Jock. :)

OP
OP
margrae

margrae

Free Member
Oct 18, 2009
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
8yrs
Thanks Jock for the extra info.......need to look at that. I have replaced the climate control button that had the cover missing...got it from Italy at a cost of 25 euros and 20 euros p/p (last one they said and not made anymore)

OP
OP
margrae

margrae

Free Member
Oct 18, 2009
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
8yrs
Hi
I found this.......I don't think it affects mine as mine is a November 2002 but others may be affected.

Reference : R/2003/027
Manufacturer Ref : 4517
Make: FIAT
Model : DUCATO
Launch Date : 05/02/2003
Numbers Involved : 1634
Build Start Date : 01/05/2001
Build End Date : 30/04/2002
Recall Details
Concern : INTERIOR FAN WIRING MAY CHAFE ON DASHBOARD SUPPORT
Description : The interior fan wiring may chafe on a dashboard support. This could result in a short circuit and a fire in the fan unit.
Remedial Action : Fit additional insulation and protection to the fan electrical wiring.
Vehicle Id : ZFA2301200006133293 to ZFA2301200006227258 Other Vehicles Affected (Click the vehicle to perform an extended search)

OP
OP
margrae

margrae

Free Member
Oct 18, 2009
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
8yrs
Hi
Just found out my vehicle production date is the 11/2001......which is in the time frame of the recall vehicles, what do I do ?

OP
OP
margrae

margrae

Free Member
Oct 18, 2009
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
8yrs
I have found out that my vehicle was manufactored in nov 2001 a year before it was registered.
Called Fiat .........confirmed my motorhome had a recall that has not been sorted, she said to call nearest fiat dealership which I did. The dealership could not even find my vehicle reg or vin number on their database. I told her that fiat (professional) found it straight away after giving vin nos. She said she would speak with her manager and call back which she did and then said the manager had said the cut of for ordering parts was 2004 ( recall 2003) and that it was now no longer an active recall ? She also said that they always check for recalls when a vehicle comes in for service........I told her motorhomes often go to dealer it was purchased from and not a fiat franchise.
I had already purchased some replacements parts from a breaker I contacted last night so will probably just get it fixed 'some time', but I just have the feeling the fault was caused by some short circuit ie the recall fault.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
manager had said the cut of for ordering parts was 2004 ( recall 2003)
Margrae, I find that very hard to believe from the manager
and that it was now no longer an active recall ?
However, that does sound plausible, albeit unfortunate for you. :(

Good luck with sourcing spares. (y)

Cheers,

Jock.

OP
OP
margrae

margrae

Free Member
Oct 18, 2009
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
8yrs
Update
Contacted Fiat professional again and spoke to a very nice helpful lady. I explained the lack of help given by the local Fiat dealership and she is going to 'open a case' regarding my vehicle /recall fault. She told me they have dedicated motorhome staff here in the uk to deal with motorhomes. I think they are going to contact the local Fiat dealership once they have investigated my case. At the least its a step forward and I am not going to touch the vehicle.......and will await post mortem results !!

OP
OP
margrae

margrae

Free Member
Oct 18, 2009
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
8yrs
Phone call from Fiat professional today......they will arrange for local garage to check vehicle regarding recall.
Just need to get exhaust sorted.......hopefully by next week. Impressed with Fiat professional (y)

OP
OP
margrae

margrae

Free Member
Oct 18, 2009
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
8yrs
Update regarding recall
Had recall work done, Fiat professional customer services were A1. Not very impressed with dealership, went to pick up my motorhome and noticed 3 new small dents on the side. Awaiting estimate now from bodyshop. All the vehicles I have had over the years never had one damaged at garage....oh well it happens I guess.

glenm

Free Member
Nov 5, 2007
Mobile full timer Garstang
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
10 years
Hi contact Peter Hambilton at Preston 01772 315078 he is Mr Hymer check out at hymerdirect.com he knows everything about Hymers I used to have one and always used him
Cheers
james

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back