Heading to Spain - Weather and Road concerns (1 Viewer)

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Since 2011, previously a tugger
Two weeks today we should be on our way to Spain but I'm somewhat concerned by this current cold spell and the weather and road conditions in France and Spain.

We've only done the trip once before in 2013 and went by way of Calais, Rouen, Chartres, Chatearoux, Limoges, Toulouse, to Narbonne. That was in the first week of March but we had great weather all the way.

Ginny is worrying herself a bit and I just keep saying "It will be fine, piece of cake like the last time" :eek:

Should I perhaps be looking at taking a route to the west via Bayonne and then down via Zaragosa? And once on the road whats the best way to keep track of road a weather?

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
Yep ... you should be OK !

Just give a shout 2 or 3 days before and I'll tell you what's up along your way!

Frankie(y)

And ... you can stop at my place ...TOULOUSE ! (next to it ... Balma I'm just along the ringroad! easy peasy!)

Oct 8, 2014
Todmorden
Funster No
MH
Compactline 143
Exp
I'm a newbie and always will be. You never know it all.
A lot can happen in a couple of weeks, I wouldn't worry if I were you.
This is my first time in Spain and I drove down during the storms at the end of December roads in France were being gritted and plows out as soon as the snow fell.
I use the BBC weather app on my IPhone and check the weather at my next destination if it's not good I stay put or choose another destination(y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Dont panic, it can change a lot. After all it is weather..
I would wait until you are nearer the time..
McDonalds etc for free wifi while travelling and check weather as you go.. The Western route is my favoured route, see the resources section where there is a download of my route..
The N10 down through France is a major road, it has to be some freak or odd weather to stop those trucks from rolling...

Subject to what my heart surgeon says we could be right behind you as there is a very slim chance of us going on the 24th. !!!!!!

OP
OP
Dave and Ginny

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Thanks everyone, all your replies are nicely reassuring (y) It's through having to much time to worry and think too much :think:

We have not forgot Frankie you made us the same very kind offer, (not about the weather but stopping off), on our last trip in 2013. If we go past your way this time we will be sure to say 'hi'. :hi:

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Hi davidandginny

We are doing that trip now, beautiful two days down France keeping off tolls as much as possible, currently on the aire at Nersac just South of Angouleme been about 10 degrees outside but 26 inside with the sun on the screen and solar panels were making 10 amps earlier.

OP
OP
Dave and Ginny

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Hi davidandginny

We are doing that trip now, beautiful two days down France keeping off tolls as much as possible, currently on the aire at Nersac just South of Angouleme been about 10 degrees outside but 26 inside with the sun on the screen and solar panels were making 10 amps earlier.

That's so good to hear Martin and Jen, I was out doing stuff in the van here today and it was so warm with the sun on the screen. Enjoy the rest of your journey, we shall be following soon!

Deleted User
Just planning our route leaving on 25th, hopefully we will all have good weather, we have two options, if weather not so great will drive further each day and arrive early. If the weather improves can have a leisurely 5 night drive down to Benicarlo :D safe travels Lin & Nige

OP
OP
Dave and Ginny

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Nige and Lin, I'm not deciding which route to take (either right or left of the big mountains) until I get past Rouen and see what conditions look like, but as I should be a day ahead of you if you want to swap mobile numbers in a pm I can let you know if we encounter any problems.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Now in San Sebastián and needed sun screen today, bright sun all the way down and 15 degrees. Some snow on the tops of the mountains but quite high.

Deleted User
Nige and Lin, I'm not deciding which route to take (either right or left of the big mountains) until I get past Rouen and see what conditions look like, but as I should be a day ahead of you if you want to swap mobile numbers in a pm I can let you know if we encounter any problems.
Yes that would be great thanks will PM you my number Lin

Aug 31, 2009
Lot-et-Garonne, France
Funster No
MH
Changing
Exp
15 Years
We're watching the temperatures on the med coast of Spain, had planned to go 'eastern' route thru France as you know but may change and travel western route as more direct for southern spain I think, then do Cataluña on the way north when its a bit warmer there. We leave next week (hopefully....windscreen has just developed a 4 inch crack so hoping they can fix that in time), will blog the journey south if I can organise myself. Will probably decide route on ferry over from Newhaven.

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
We're watching the weather for coming back! !! We are booked on the Santander ferry end of march so we were poodling back through portugal from the Algarve.
The snow should have gone by then.

OP
OP
Dave and Ginny

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
We're watching the temperatures on the med coast of Spain, had planned to go 'eastern' route thru France as you know but may change and travel western route as more direct for southern spain I think, then do Cataluña on the way north when its a bit warmer there. We leave next week (hopefully....windscreen has just developed a 4 inch crack so hoping they can fix that in time), will blog the journey south if I can organise myself. Will probably decide route on ferry over from Newhaven.

Thanks for that Peter, will keep an eye on your blog to see which way you decide to go! We're now going to the Benicarlo Rally on 2nd March and the route seems to be swings and round a bouts in terms of time and distance either going central or west. Good luck with the windscreen and safe journey!

We're watching the weather for coming back! !! We are booked on the Santander ferry end of march so we were poodling back through portugal from the Algarve.
The snow should have gone by then.

Lets hope the snow has all gone and have a safe journey!

Aug 31, 2009
Lot-et-Garonne, France
Funster No
MH
Changing
Exp
15 Years
Hi David/Ginny
Good trip so far and we're in the Auvergne now, left Newhaven yesterday. We'll probably go into Spain today. The weather is fine with just a little snow by the roadside over the last few miles, when we got in to the mountains of the Auvergne (highest pass about 1000 metres). Theres a bit about the route on the blog.

wanderer

Free Member
Apr 14, 2008
huntingdon
Funster No
MH
a class Arto
Exp
since 2008
Weather down here (Almeria) is now great and more good news our ferry for 22nd march has been cancelled and we are now rebooked for the 28th another 6 days BRILLIANT

Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
Just driven up from Vilanova Park to a lovely little ACSI site at Villafranca today called Bardenas Camping, 234 miles it's warmer up here than on the med coast, 22 deg C this afternoon only 11 when we left at 09.00hrs. Snow on high mountain tops only, horrendous wide scale flooding around Zaragoza for miles, almost to the motorway in places, my heart goes out to all those house owners etc.

So as others have said you should have no worries.

Flooding has been caused by the sudden snow melt coupled with heavy rain the English speaking lady in reception here tells me it's been the worst winter weather in over 150 years.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Re Bardenas Camping, its OK with clean modern toilet block and OK bar but a bit isolated. stopped their twice but it was extremely muddy and cold with high winds. and on one occasion terrible stench from adjacent fields being recently sprayed...but it is in farmland I guess. A reasonable overnight but nothing much around the area. David and Ginny must be there now...come on travel report! :)

Jan 9, 2013
Newbury
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2000
Drove up the N623 from Burgos to Cabarcena today, through spectacular scenery - road was practically empty, and we had 22 degrees too. However, as Stewart mentions, the sudden snowmelt has caused issues, and in one spot there had obviously been a mudslide across the entire road, which was being cleared. In another place, the edge of the road (the side with the huge drop!), was starting to subside.... It was coned off, and there were traffic lights to alternate the flow. I suspect this road will only get worse, before it gets better, as more snow melts - there's still a lot on the tops.

Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
Re Bardenas Camping, its OK with clean modern toilet block and OK bar but a bit isolated. stopped their twice but it was extremely muddy and cold with high winds. and on one occasion terrible stench from adjacent fields being recently sprayed...but it is in farmland I guess. A reasonable overnight but nothing much around the area. David and Ginny must be there now...come on travel report! :)

Agree its isolated and a great overnight stop which is exactly what we wanted. Pitches are very dry and its been a lovely day so depends on weather and season I guess. Free wifi in bar and around reception is a big plus and with the Iboost 7 we have it in the van running 2 tablets, a laptop and a phone (what a brill system this is supplied by Funster member Addie of Motorhome Wifi) better than last 2 campsites charging a Euro an hour for very patchy slow coverage.

Are there other Funsters here Judgemental and what make of van? :)

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Sorry, re D&G meant that they are probably on the med coast now.

Sign up with Three feel at home plan, spain included from 1st april. We are heading down on the 2nd:)

Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
Already have a 10gb per month mifi package with 3 so roll on the 1st April

OP
OP
Dave and Ginny

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Yes we're now safely down in Benicarlo at the rally with our fellow funsters! The route down via the Millau was fine with just a little snow by the side of the road at the highest point. Lovely and sunny today but a very fresh breeze just putting a halt on outdoor activities though. Nice to be meeting to many likeminded folk and looking forward to sangria and paella this evening :).

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back