What is the most expensive UK site you know of ? (1 Viewer)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
There is a lot of chatter on the forums about how expensive some UK sites have become.. many now almost as expensive as staying in a B&B ..

Two questions..

what are you prepared to pay for a site for two adults.

a) A basic site , no EHU , no showers . Just fresh water and waste disposal.

b) As above, with an un-metered 10 or 16A EHU

Finally, what is the most expensive UK site you have used or know of .. ?

for me

a) up to £10
b) up to £15

some interesting reading
https://www.pitchup.com/about/media/
most expensive I've read about.. :LOL:

At £9,600 for two for a four-night stay, Britain's most expensive campsite is believed to be Camp Kerala in Shepton Mallet, near Glastonbury. The cost includes interstage festival tickets and Winnebago access, food and concierge (it's £900 extra for an ensuite toilet, and visitors pay extra for drinks, spa treatment...and helicopter transport)

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
We stayed at the campsite in Bath that is right next to the park and ride, two people with EHU for one night £26.00. There is no way on earth I would have paid that much apart from the location being exactly where we needed it. But now we have been there, done that and no need to go again. :D

Deleted User
Stayed at Lysander Arms, York, £25 a night, 2 adults, 3 free dogs inc leccy, water and waste to each pitch, adults only. It was more than CC which would have been £18 a night at Rowntree park in January. By August price is cheaper than CC as it is £25 all year except Xmas & New year when rises to £30. A lot more expensive than going abroad but for us we needed the location and an alternative to CC as not renewing membership this year, joined Fun and Britstops instead :):):)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

dryad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2010
hermit in beautiful coastal east kent
Funster No
MH
citroen relay pvc
Exp
quite a few years now, and loving every minute..
There is a lot of chatter on the forums about how expensive some UK sites have become.. many now almost as expensive as staying in a B&B ..

Two questions..

what are you prepared to pay for a site for two adults.

a) A basic site , no EHU , no showers . Just fresh water and waste disposal.

b) As above, with an un-metered 10 or 16A EHU

Finally, what is the most expensive UK site you have used or know of .. ?

for me

a) up to £10
b) up to £15

some interesting reading
https://www.pitchup.com/about/media/
most expensive I've read about.. :LOL:

At £9,600 for two for a four-night stay, Britain's most expensive campsite is believed to be Camp Kerala in Shepton Mallet, near Glastonbury. The cost includes interstage festival tickets and Winnebago access, food and concierge (it's £900 extra for an ensuite toilet, and visitors pay extra for drinks, spa treatment...and helicopter transport)

camp kerala=:Eeek::Eeek::Eeek: flippin' 'eck, more money than sense..

personally would balk at more than£15/20 a night for a basic pitch, but the reality is that during the busy summer months, quite a lot are more than that..

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I stayed at Sango Sands at Durness last month, they don't lock the gates but are technically closed, free use for no services allowed by owner, water and dump open, (provided not frozen) he even offered to turn out to turn water on for me when needed.

But he does charge for electric, £7 night, but to be honest at -5 and permanent snow on ground I felt bad and gave him £10 night to cover my possible electric consumption, but I had to fight to make him take it

I reckon my 3Kw Alde on all the time and never seemed to cut out (set at 20C) must have cost him £10 / day, before adding in fridge and chargers

I don't think any CL can really afford to run for less than £10 /night even with out electrics. They have tax to pay on that as income, plus insurance, I would not be surprised to find a £500 insurance bill for liability only these days, spread that over the relatively few days occupancy they get, it is hardly worth opening

Add in the cost of electrics, leave them unmetered and I think £20 night will soon be the norm for CL's and small sites as a minimum

In our earlier lives we thought a CL for retirement sounded great, till you do the costings, if you were lucky and got 50% occupancy (very unlikely all year round) would get a maximum of £9K for the whole year, take off insurance, pay tax (possibly) not a lot for the effort / inconvenience for a whole years effort

To answer OP, you have definitely found the most expensive already :eek:

But CC can be £30 / night at wrong times for 2 people, much too much for us

My rates as per above

£10 no services

£20 with unmetered electrics (we do like out of season colder periods though) so may be a little too generous on electric consumption

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
wow .. 50 odd reads and only two with a comment

maybe our sites aren't so expensive after all :LOL:
Well I'm wondering if were used to them being so expensive and remember one mans bloody expensive is another mans reasonable.

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
Might be that many MH owners just DON'T stay in these places that charge the earth.............. for a 8 x 8 metre bit of ground. Now £25 a night x 365 = £9125 a year and if you have 10 pitches £91,250...... thats some profit.

Jun 16, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hymer CL 554
Exp
Since May 2014
The most we paid was £52 a night with a caravan in Hidden Valley campsite,

http://www.hiddenvalleypark.com/north-devon-campsite-tariff

It has come down a bit in price instead of the £52 a night i think it is now about £50 ish, far too much money. Nice site and located a 2 min drive to the vets my daughter had work experience with. Thats the only reason we booked. It was with a caravan as well. :-(

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Paid £6 a night for a bumpy grass field at a cl, and paid around £75 at a site near Venice, and a similar price at a holiday camp at Burnham on Sea one Easter. If its where you want to be, you pay the price.

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Seaview International in Cornwall wanted £48 per night for 3 of us and our dog
I just lught and walked off
now that was rip off went to the king Arthur car park stayed three nights
bill

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I am in the same figure as Jim. £ 10 without ehu and £15 with. Would not happily pay any more for unwanted extras like toilets, showers.

Hotels are a problem too, charging the earth for pools and gyms when all that's wanted is a bed for the night. Thank goodness for premier inn etc.

Deleted User
We sometimes (hopefully soon more often) Stay at pubs for free, with access to water and toilets/shower(leccy extra) but usually end up spending about £40-£60 on meals and drinks in the pub, so not sure how cost effective our free nights are ;)

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Yes - the canalside campsite at Bath was expensive, but it was freezing cold when we were there so we made full use of the electric and it was dead handy for Bath as has been said. After there we went to the CC site at Minehead and that was a bit cheaper and for that we got snow and wild deer on site every morning!

We hardly ever go on sites though, CLs mainly. One we use in Norfolk the lady is always moaning cos the CC keeps wanting her to put her prices up and install electricity which she doesn't want to, neither do the people who use the CL. You can hardly ever get in the place as there are so many regulars. And she only does it for a hobby, not a living. Think she probably only keeps it CC because of less hassle with insurance, so she only has to renew the one thing and not several.

Think she still charges about £9 a night.

dryad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2010
hermit in beautiful coastal east kent
Funster No
MH
citroen relay pvc
Exp
quite a few years now, and loving every minute..
only use sites when i need to charge my powerchair and scooter batteries up, (apart from meets on sites of course) electric costs for all those is less than 50p worth, rest of the time i wildcamp or use britstops as i'm going to use a pub to eat anyway, 'tis only me, and don't find pleasure in cooking for just one anymore..

Dec 24, 2009
bedworth warks
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
2009 previously a tugger for thirty years
We did stop at Skegness Sands just after new year for one night it was £25 inc electric showers etc. The C/L we usually use is not open at that time of year so little choice really.

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
In our earlier lives we thought a CL for retirement sounded great, till you do the costings,

yes indeed.. a 5 van CL can never be a business you could live off., at best a hobby with a bonus each year.. at worst a mill stone.

like a lot of retirement ideas..
owning a country pub, BnB, CL , bar on the Costas.. all sound great but in reality they are all very hard work and the gloss soon wears off. ..

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Ditto Jim and Reallyretired. We tend to go for CC sites as they are where we want to be, more so than C&CC which we haven't used for 3 years. But then we never tour the UK in the summer so the prices tend to be around £18 or so mark. If we're close enough and don't have to go on a long trek we will use the facilities on site. On odd occasions we use CL's and paid around £12 for the NEC trip last autumn.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Most we have paid is abound £30 but that was years ago with the kids & a caravan Italy in August. These days more than 10 quid I'm crying, don't really like staying on sites now, object to paying for EHU I don't need or want seems to be the growing trend to fit EHU on CS's & CL's and charge even if you don't want it.

No wonder we go to France, 3 weeks usually costs us about €30 - €50 and the money we don't spend on camping we spend eating out.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User

The way the Glastonbury ticketing works it won't be as simple as that. I don't doubt that they are charging that for the camping but the festival ticket will won't be that easy.

EDIT: I've had a look at their website and it appears that the boss of this may be Michael Eavis' mate which, if true, and if she has "corporate" tickets available, is disappointing given what he's always said about such things.

The most we've ever paid for a site is £30 p\n at Kielder Water only because we wanted to be there.

camocam1

Free Member
Aug 28, 2012
Elgin,Moray,Scotland
Funster No
MH
bailey approach 760 se
Exp
since 2012
Paid £25 in Wales last year but my average cost for the last 2half years has been £14.50 so I'm happy at that as almost always have EHU with maybe the very occasional one without.
I suppose it all depends where you want to stay I like to be close enought to village / bus / cycle so I do not have to move the MH and many cheaper CLs are out in the country
Only ever been in the Uk so far

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Tag Axle
Exp
since 2013
A Deluxe pitch at Mother Iveys Bay in Cornwall in the peak season for 2015 is £56 per night for a family of 6 on a 12m x 10m on a serviced pitch which includes electric hook-up, fresh water and grey waste. An extra car is £6 per night more and a dog is an extra £5 per night. The site has its own beach but no club or bar. There is a shop.
That is a huge charge per night!

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
we payed 37 for a site at kessingland beach think it was cc and we were in the cc and c so there was an excess charged
worst value was at harwich where in early may they charged us high season rate despite everything they advertised being shut we only booked it because we had time to spare and quite fancied a site with some entertainment and a pool the only person we saw was a security guard who let us in and told us we could have a key to the launderette for a ten pound deposit

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
The most we payed a few years ago now, was camping el masnou when we went into Barcelona on the train crap site €33 a night. :Eeek:

The best one was the Caravan Club at Roundtree Park York, 2 nights £46.20 but we joined the CC at a show for £44 and gave us 2 free night vouchers, so they gave us £2.20 for joining. :rofl: Bob.

Last edited:

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
When I tugged I regularly used C&CC book sites at £3 a night. No hook up but was pretty self sufficient on battery and if on a site on my own would run the genny during the day and use battery overnight. Had some great sites.

Last August paid over £30 a night for somewhere down in Devon... 2 adults, 2 kids without hook up, campervan and large tent. August bank holiday though.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back