Have you sailed to the Outer Hebredes with your dog (1 Viewer)

Outer Hebredes

• Yes

Votes: 2 100.0%
  • Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Oct 24, 2014
Stockport Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Compass Advantgard
Exp
7 years
Hia

Going to the Outer Hebredes in May with my dog

Now my question is

Do I sail from Ullopool or Oban
The Ullopool crossing is shorter
The Oban is longer

Now if you have crossed with your pooch do you leave her/ him in your van and if so in a cage or fastened up.
Are you aloud on the longer journey to go to the your motorhome to give them a wee break exercise/ stretch her/his legs

On the Oban crossing it says that you are allowed to bring your dog on deck
Can you take your dog inside or are you outside in the elements.
Do they have kennels?

Hope this question makes sense
Thanks

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Hello Polly

Yes we have, but only from Uig as per Jims suggestion and Ullapool

But I reckon the options re dogs will be the same

I guess you could leave your dog in MH but no to returning to MH during crossing

But loads of people take dogs, you can sit outside anywhere, or on some seats inside set aside for dogs, although they are only part of a larger group of seating

No charge for dogs and they seem to be very welcome from our experience

We would not use the Ullapool crossing due to length (time) on board, and it costs more

Have fun we absolutely love the islands, outer, inner, southern the lot (y), yet to do Northern, but it wont be long

mainland is not too shabby either :) and even cheaper

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
We have sailed all 3 .......... Uig to Tarbert is the quickest and cheapest......... it all depends on where you want to go when you get there really :cool: (and whether or not you want to visit Skye)

(forgot to say we don't have a dog tho')

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
you can go Uig to North Uist, that is now our preferred route, out to Lochmaddy on North Uist, do the Uists then cross over to Harris from Berneray, Harris is by far our favourite island, although is it actually part of Lewis, they are one big island. Then return from Tarbert to Uig, although we have also come back from Stornoway to Ullapool

Too many choices :D

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mags52

Free Member
Jun 2, 2010
Melrose Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Hymer B774
Exp
Since 2010
On the Uig to Tarbert crossing you can take your dog upstairs. There is a special lounge for dog owners. This is probably true of most of the Caledonian McBrayne crossings but I'm not sure about the longer crossings. We hopped about all over the place last year, sometimes taking the dogs upstairs and sometimes leaving them in the van. They just snoozed in the van when we left them there.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
No, but from what I've read on this thread, I'd love to!

My 2 dogs ( and I also travelled with 2 cats as well for a few years) were fine on the 7-8 hour drive to Dieppe, then 4.5 hour crossing.
Nicer for them in the motorhome than the car as they could choose where to sit/ sleep and the cars could access their litter tray.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

dippingatoe

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jul 23, 2013
UK
Funster No
MH
Thor Damon Daybreak 27P
Exp
jan 2014
Went round most of the Outer Hebrides with Phoebe, but she stayed in Thebus every time as she would never manage the steps, but I often saw others with dogs, though I think you mostly have to stay outside with them, fine if the weather is good but otherwise might be a bit miserable.

We took the bridge to Skye then Uig to Tarbert, then on down all the islands before going back to Oban

She has been okay everytime, but hates travelling anyway. Longest we have done so far was overnight Orkney to Shetland. Loaded at around Midnight arrived about 8am. Can't remember being charged for her anywhere.

I deliberately took the journey back to Oban in order to have the chance to see the dolphins and we did - hundreds of them, plus porpoises and a basking shark. Magic

http://www.theworldismylobster.org.uk/#/doplhins-galore/4588032200

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
005.JPG
My avatar is on North Uist or Benbecula cant remember which now

001.JPG

This is Harris, just north of the ferry in from Berneray, not the best of weather, but beautiful huge beaches

001.JPG

and this one is right on the bottom of South Uist

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back