Gas bottle question? (1 Viewer)

Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
At the moment I have two 6kg bottles in my B584 locker but it looks like I can get bigger bottles in there but what size bottles will it take? 11kg, 13kg anyone know please??

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Not sure if our Hymer has the same lockers as yours, ours has a small flap at the bottom that we can lock in a slightly different position, that just allows us to fit 1 x 13kg and a 6kg alongside. Very close to 2 x 13kg but not quite close enough

It does look like the locker door is not quite closed in that position but it is

I get very confused on sizes and weights, I was not aware of a 11kg, but if they exist 2 of them might fit, but if they are simply butane which I think weighs less in the same size container there will be no gain just less gas and possibly wrong regulators :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
wizzer59
Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
Hi Jim thanks for that, Flo/gas do a 11kg propane one but TBH there isn't much difference in size to a 13kg bottle(y)

OP
OP
wizzer59
Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
Hi David yes mine has a flap as well, I will have to try one in my local garage and if it fits then the flo/gas one will as well, thank you(y)

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
All Hymer's are designed to take 2 x 11kg German gas bottles. Depending on your locker location you may have a bit more room, it it is located inside the garage you should be able to get 2 x 13 kg bottles in. We have 2 x 13kg (26Lt) Alugas re-fillable bottles in ours.

lou020

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 5, 2010
huddersfield
Funster No
MH
autotrail chieftain
Exp
since 2010
my chieftain gas locker would fit 2 x 11kg propane or 12kg butane from flogas etc, but the calor 13kg is about 1inch too tall. its the calor shroud that makes them taller, also they are a bit wider.
i just need to get hold of a flogas type bottle as the gas for a 11kg is less than a calor 6kg

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Hi David yes mine has a flap as well, I will have to try one in my local garage and if it fits then the flo/gas one will as well, thank you(y)

I was a bit worried when I first tried it, the plastic toggles look quite strained, but we have done this now for 2 years, the saving in the price of gas will pay for new catches if ever needed, presuming it is still save to drive if one breaks. The straps take 99% of the strain, it is just that the bottom flap is tight up against a 15kg where there is a bit of room with 6kg/ I actually have my 13kg at a very slight angle to relieve some of the strain

(y)

edit - the problem is girth not height with the 13kg Calor

OP
OP
wizzer59
Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
All Hymer's are designed to take 2 x 11kg German gas bottles. Depending on your locker location you may have a bit more room, it it is located inside the garage you should be able to get 2 x 13 kg bottles in. We have 2 x 13kg (26Lt) Alugas re-fillable bottles in ours.

Thanks for that(y) I did wonder why its so large, the 6kg bottles do look lost in there;)

OP
OP
wizzer59
Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
I was a bit worried when I first tried it, the plastic toggles look quite strained, but we have done this now for 2 years, the saving in the price of gas will pay for new catches if ever needed, presuming it is still save to drive if one breaks. The straps take 99% of the strain, it is just that the bottom flap is tight up against a 15kg where there is a bit of room with 6kg/ I actually have my 13kg at a very slight angle to relieve some of the strain

(y)

edit - the problem is girth not height with the 13kg Calor

Maybe if I keep a lump hammer in the locker then:giggler:

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough

The catches are only plastic, slight over kill the hammer :D

The only reason for the bottom flap is to give the top flap something to lock against, they are not the most secure of doors anyway, it is more for looks than function, I suspect you will have the same size locker as us, so hopefully you can squeeze one in as well (with slight bulge!!) (y)

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
I have two 11kg Gaslow in my B584 locker without adjusting the lower flap (which I can't do now anyway because I've replaced it with a fixed stainless part).

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
You been reading how I managed to get my 11kg Gaslow bottle into my PVC's locker which is only meant to take 2 x 6kg ones by any chance :) ... a lump hammer came in very useful! (y)

OP
OP
wizzer59
Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
Mind you I keep on thinking about @Techno100
The catches are only plastic, slight over kill the hammer :D

The only reason for the bottom flap is to give the top flap something to lock against, they are not the most secure of doors anyway, it is more for looks than function, I suspect you will have the same size locker as us, so hopefully you can squeeze one in as well (with slight bulge!!) (y)

It was the bottles that were going to get a little tap to make them fit:rolleyes:

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
You might want to consider fitting BP Gaslite 10kg bottles - easily obtainable via Homebase or many garden centres ( Homebase have regular deals @20% off which includes gas) apart from being able to carry 20kg of gas you save a lot in weight as the bottles are fibreglass

OP
OP
wizzer59
Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
You might want to consider fitting BP Gaslite 10kg bottles - easily obtainable via Homebase or many garden centres ( Homebase have regular deals @20% off which includes gas) apart from being able to carry 20kg of gas you save a lot in weight as the bottles are fibreglass

Guess you have to have a special reg, and you can only exchange from????

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
Most larger caravan /camping shops stock them - its the 27mm one - same as used on some others and I believe the Spanish bottles. if you have a bulkhead mounted reg you just need the adaptor to suit. Not out of the way to refill the Gas lites either as you can see the level you are filling to.
Guess you have to have a special reg, and you can only exchange from????

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years

My hymer took 1 x 6KG and a 13Kg but there was a slight bow in the bottom flap -I stiffened this up with a thin metal strap behind the plastic, stuck in place with double sided tape ( there is a recess on the inside face)-just to take the bow out slightly and add a bit more strength to the flap and toprevent the plastic flap from breaking -had no issues with securing the door subsequently.
I exchanged an empty 6kg calor for a full 13kg calor at Morrisons southport, for the cost of gas only -no issues but that was some 3 years ago

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
And, just to add to the choice, in France you can buy/hire an Antargaz lightweight bottle that is very similar in dimensions to the BP Lite bottle.
The difference of course is in the price of the gas.:):):)
Something to think about if you don't want to go down the refillable route and spend time in France. You could have one of each.

OP
OP
wizzer59
Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
Just a little update for anyone interested, I now have two 11kg Flogas refillers that fit perfectly and they are a lot cheaper to refill than Calor(y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back