A-Frames and insurance (1 Viewer)

Bryan

Free Member
Jul 19, 2007
Funster No
Hi,

I've never seen a thread on this sub topic of a-frames so I thought I'd ask you knowledgable lot a few questions ::bigsmile:

Car insurance companies normally ask if your car has been modified in any way.

If you have modified your car by adding the brackets etc. for a-framing, do you inform the insurance company?
Do they understand that you don't mean a 'TOWBAR' on your car?
How do they react and does it make a diference to your premiums?
Do they put the 'modification' on your paperwork?

When I insured our car (not a-framed) I told them it had a towbar and they just said 'oh, that's fine, that doesn't count'. I took them at their word as a towbar is so common I expect that it is not an exception, but I wonder if they understand what an a-frame system is.

Also, what cover do you have whilst towing on an a-frame?
I seem to remember reading that some motorhome insurance policies cover the toad as a trailer for third party only. If that is the case, what cover does you car insurance provide (if any) whilst it is being towed?

Bryan

Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
Good question Bryan, as I have been looking into setting up our Aygo with an A-Frame. Also not sure what the legalities are (the other thread) so hanging back at the mo. I would want fully comp on the towed vehicle for sure and not compromise the cover on the motorhome.

takeaflight

Free Member
Sep 4, 2007
Stratford-upon-Avon
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
When I contacted Saga they in turn spoke with their under writer. They where well aware what a A Frame was and quite happy to insure, however the toad would only be covered third party.

Roy

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Braunston

Free Member
May 21, 2008
Funster No
Hi,

Great subject I would be interested in the results,

From what i can understand the towing vehicle (Motorhome/RV Etc) insurance can be extended in most cases to cover the towing of a trailer and I believe most insurances provide 3rd party cover for this action,

However where i think the situation needs very careful clarification is in the assumption that the cover detailed above would be provided for a Toad, as I would have thought that unless the risk was very well documented the underwriters would be expecting that the trailer complies with the relevant trailer regulations

Therefore, I would suggest that there are 3 levels of insurance that need to be clarified as i feel you also need cover for the trailer/toad when it is being used in either of its states i.e.

Insurance 1 - Presumably an extension to your existing MH/RV insurance to cover towing a trailer

Insurance 2 - Fully Comp insurance for your Toad when it is being used as a Car this also need to take into account the modifications as Bryan stated above i.e. the bar or eyelets etc. sticking out the front

Insurance 3 - Presumably an extension of the Fully Comp insurance in 2 above that provides Fully Comp when the Car is been used as a trailer.

I have heard that Comfort and apparently NFU with provide the cover as 2 and 3 but i personally would like to hear from someone who has obtained this cover in writing clearly stating what is covered as it does seem very complicated.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bryan

Bryan

Free Member
Jul 19, 2007
Funster No
That's as I thought for the motorhome insurance. If the trailer (car in this scenario) causes damage they'll pay out for the third party damage, but the damage (or total loss) to the trailer (car) is down to you.

But what about your car insurance? What (if any) cover does that provide for your car whilst being towed?

des

Free Member
Oct 1, 2007
south staffs
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
5 years
i clarified this with my insurance broker (re car, not motorhome, insurance). he confirmed that the car is still covered fully comp by its own insurance when towed. can't say this applies to all insurances. i intend to have both car and rv insured by same in future to avoid any uncertainties, as the car was hit by a dutch lorry when on tow last year. i claimed on the car insurance, and was paid out, but had to pay the excess.

des

Braunston

Free Member
May 21, 2008
Funster No
Hi, Des

Who are you insured with

Thanks
Braunston

i clarified this with my insurance broker (re car, not motorhome, insurance). he confirmed that the car is still covered fully comp by its own insurance when towed. can't say this applies to all insurances. i intend to have both car and rv insured by same in future to avoid any uncertainties, as the car was hit by a dutch lorry when on tow last year. i claimed on the car insurance, and was paid out, but had to pay the excess.

des

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
i was always under the impression a vehicle couldnt be insured under two seperate policies

if it were then niether insurance company would have a sole interest in the vehicle.

moandick

Free Member
Jul 28, 2007
Landrake, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Euro-shed
Exp
40 +
Hi Bryan

Just to add a further complication - George Evans from Brue Yachts discovered a couple of years ago that his car whilst ON A TRAILER was not covered at all :Angry:

The RV was covered - the trailer was covered - but the car ON the trailer was not covered if hit by a third party!

He was insured with SAGA at that time.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
The car ON the trailor syndrome has always applied to all insurance ie not covered at all
What is needed is called goods in transit cover we have it as part of our recovery and Motor trade Insurance:Sad:
cant say if it can be bought as part of ordinary car and or RV policies:Doh:

davejen

Free Member
Aug 21, 2008
Preston
Funster No
MH
Given up travelling
Exp
Since 1992
Hi, just to put my 2pennorth in, We are insured for both the motorhome and the Smart with the NFU, Iqueried the cover on the Smart whilst being towed and they told me it was still covered. I have both vehicles fully comp. Cost about £550 for BOTH.
Regards, Dave:thumb:

Braunston

Free Member
May 21, 2008
Funster No
Hi,

I would be very interested if you have written confirmation from them as we insure our Panda through the NFU and are seriously thinking of having an A frame fitted.

However, when we took out the insurance I did mention the possibility of an "A" frame being fitted which would turn the Panda into a trailer and allow me to pull it along behind my motorhome, but the person i spoke to couldn't understand what i was talking about, which was probably my fault for not explaining properly.

Therefore, I really would be interested if you have found someone who fully understands the situation from NFU and has confirmed it in writing as it would be a great help if I do have one fitted..

Thanks

Braunston

Hi, just to put my 2pennorth in, We are insured for both the motorhome and the Smart with the NFU, Iqueried the cover on the Smart whilst being towed and they told me it was still covered. I have both vehicles fully comp. Cost about £550 for BOTH.
Regards, Dave:thumb:

Feb 3, 2008
Highworth
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 85
Hi this is probably hijacking the thread but who is your contact for NFU when I tried locally I was told they did not cover RV's

Cheers

Pete

moandick

Free Member
Jul 28, 2007
Landrake, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Euro-shed
Exp
40 +
Hi Pete

You MUST speak with the LOUTH Branch of the NFU - they advertise in the RV Magazine.

Speak to Nick Pope, Sarah Topliss or Helen Ross

Telephone number: 01507 600249

NFU Mutual Office, Agricultural House, Fairfiled Industrial Estate, Louth, Lincolnshire, LN11 0WA.

They cover everything from 5th wheels to demountables from caravans to RVs, I promise.

They will not cover full-timers. :winky:

MicknPat

Free Member
Dec 16, 2007
Touring UK
Funster No
MH
39ft American A class RV
Exp
Since Oct 2007
Slightly off topic also,:Blush: but still related,

Just been browsing the Comfort Insurance link provided by superk in this thread and in the 'Our Producs' range for private car insurance I noticed this 'requirement'
You (and all the proposed drivers) have a permanent UK postal address and utility bills for that address are in your name.

Any Comfort Full timer owners on MHF answer that one please, that is a direct requirement, no way can you 'little white lie' on that one as I see it.

Last edited:

motaomer

Free Member
Jun 18, 2008
hampshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
10+
a frames

most insurance co, class a frames for recovery use only most of them don,t like the idea of a motor home as a recovery vehicle grey area in insurance policies past experience when i was in the motor trade geoff:thumb:

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2008
Lanner - Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class RV
Exp
20 + Years
That's as I thought for the motorhome insurance. If the trailer (car in this scenario) causes damage they'll pay out for the third party damage, but the damage (or total loss) to the trailer (car) is down to you.

But what about your car insurance? What (if any) cover does that provide for your car whilst being towed?

Hi Bryan,

Upto last year in May I was towing using an A - FRAME. Towing vehicle has ranged from a Volkswagen LT40 then a Hymer 644G over a period of the last 10 years. Towed vehicle being a Yellow SMART Pulse. Over ALL this period I was insured for both vehicles through SAGA with there full knowledge. This was ok until May of last year when I changed up to a RV. SAGA wont insure USA imports so I to am now in the same situation.I do still tow as before but the insurance is vague, so I will be interested in other replies

Brian

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
I can confirm only the other week having just taken out insurance with the NFU (via Sarah at the Louth office)
if both the RV and toad are insured fully comp through NFU both vehicles are fully covered connected by A frame or not
If the Toad and Motorhome are insured fully comp, but with different companies, The toad should still be covered but not by all, and recommended individuals check individually, as all policies are sold on an individual basis it can not be assumed just because Mr A is covered, Mr B will also be, even if both are with the same company:Eeek:
Cars on trailers also need checking by individuals, for cover, as it is possible no cover at all is in force when being carried on your trailer as has been said already
Geo

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back