Richhill
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Started August 2008
Hi there,
Can anyone please help?
I've noticed on some pictures in the albums that some motorhomes have red and white square signs on the rear of the cycle racks. Are these a legal requirement and if so, for which countries?
Regulations! It is becoming more and more the apparent purpose of a Government is to control people, rather than offering them services for their taxes.:Angry:
That's only by the way, my main question is about the red and white signs!
Regards, Wee john
:whatthe:

Pronto

Free Member
Nov 17, 2007
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Required for Spain - most 'vans with bike racks in Portugal also have them, but this is probably because they've driven through Spain to get there!!

JayDee

Free Member
Oct 7, 2007
N. Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years after 5 years with caravan.
Required for Spain - most 'vans with bike racks in Portugal also have them, but this is probably because they've driven through Spain to get there!!

Also Italy if I remember aright.

(we use one anyway, wherever we are.)

John

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
After being rear-ended in our first motorhome with it being written off with less than 300 Miles on the clock I have one on all the time where ever we may be.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I have a bike rack on the back but being a fat idle bastard do not actually put bikes on it. As it still sticks out a bit even when folded does it still need a sign on it?

My previous van had one but I put a back box on it with the red/white sign, as I now have a lot more locker space I don't use the back box.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I have a bike rack on the back but being a fat idle bastard do not actually put bikes on it. As it still sticks out a bit even when folded does it still need a sign on it?

My previous van had one but I put a back box on it with the red/white sign, as I now have a lot more locker space I don't use the back box.

i would say yes....it appears anything sticking out beyond the original bodywork at the back needs one....towbar excluded.

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Hi,

If you go on our website, there are two on there, economy plastic one at under a fiver and a metal one, sort of gold plated.

In the Fiamma section.

Regards

Peter

gillr49

Free Member
Aug 8, 2007
Holbeach Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
£8.45 delivered from ebay

Most of the foreign motorhomes have them so we thought we would follow suit but we do take bikes on the bike rack
:Cool::Cool:

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Hi,

If you go on our website, there are two on there, economy plastic one at under a fiver and a metal one, sort of gold plated.

In the Fiamma section.

Regards

Peter

How do you make £5.50 under a fiver:Blush:. Never mind I'll have one when I pick my van up on Sunday.

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Sorry last time I looked they were! A lot of the Fiamma has gone up!

The other ones even more gold plated now!

Well done in finding them, tool me two goes:thumb:

Peter

wanderer

Free Member
Apr 14, 2008
huntingdon
Funster No
MH
a class Arto
Exp
since 2008
hi
we have very few motorhome/caravan dealers down our way and i did not locate the required sign befor we left on our last trip to france/portugal/spain for 3 months thinking i would easily find one on our travels. Did we heck after many tries to a variety of car parts, bike shops , hypermarkets -- after getting quite desperate with other motorhomers telling us the spanish gestapo would definately stop and fine us , i found a square of polystarine with the red and white on one side and about 2 inches thick in a supermarket in spain , it was for sticking on your garage wall to stop damaging your car in tight situations cost 5 euros..
Next day we called in to a diy store and saw the metal signs that we had been looking for so we bought it along with some other bits and pieces , paid at the till and drove off after about 15 mins i said to the wife those things you purchased were expensive , after looking at the bill it turned out the all singing metal sign had cost us 55 euros ..
Now frightened to use it in case it gets nicked
Buy your signs in england before you travel

wanderer

OP
OP
weejohnw

weejohnw

Free Member
Aug 3, 2008
Richhill
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Started August 2008
Red and white, not the wine

Hi there,
that's expensive alright!
Despite the offer from Johnscross, ebay's cheaper with delivery.
Will buy one as we like to stay on the right side of the law, but can't help feeling there's always someone out there waiting to get ya
.:cry:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back