Found this under the bonnet (1 Viewer)

Jul 31, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
EuraMobil Activa 820HS
Exp
hi

I found this under the bonnet on my Fiat Ducato today.
It was caught between a pipe and some wiring loom and unconnected.

I think it's a diesel tuning box. Make is CRD Tuning.DE

Has anyone got one fitted to your motorhome and if so, what's your thoughts?
I've got a 3 year warranty on mine, so don't want to connect it up incase it voids the warranty.
image.jpg

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Your suspicions are exactly correct. It's a tuning box.
You could find out where to plug it in and try it. If it all goes t1ts up you could disconnect it in a flash and pretend it never happened.
There again, can I have first dibs if you don't want it.
(y)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
someone probably tried it and decided it wasn't for them.. or disconnected for the MOT emissions test.. ? just a guess.

bin it .. or sell it.. I wouldn't risk using it..

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

jaykay

Free Member
Aug 19, 2011
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 997M Auto
Exp
Virtually none ! :)
I'm not sure about that, won't a modern engine management system record such things?

Keith Hart

No Keith, it wont. All they do is alter the signals and trick the ecu to alter the fuel rail pressure, which in turn gives better performance (and sometimes more smoke). No harm in trying it. I have one on my diesel jag.

jaykay

Free Member
Aug 19, 2011
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 997M Auto
Exp
Virtually none ! :)
I stand corrected, I must have been watching too much Star Trek. :)
I hope my reply didn't come across as harsh/abrupt?

No settings are changed in the ecu, it just carries on as normal but the signals from/to some of the sensors are changed slightly outside of the ecu if that makes sense?

Baggers53

Free Member
Dec 30, 2013
Stafford
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
I have one fitted to my Fiat ducato 2.3 diesel.....works great.
I fitted one after a discussion with the best mechanic i know recommended it.
More power and smoother....same mpg or slightly better one a run.

OP
OP
GAVLAD
Jul 31, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
EuraMobil Activa 820HS
Exp
Thanks for the replies.
Think I will leave it off girl the time being and will record what mpg I'm getting and ten decide.

lou020

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 5, 2010
huddersfield
Funster No
MH
autotrail chieftain
Exp
since 2010
i tried one of those plug n play tuning boxes, total waste of money, no difference in mpg or power or mid range.
just caused loads of embarassing black smoke when changing gear or accelerating from round abouts etc.
Sent it back and got a refund. the 3.0 has plenty of poke without it, i just fancied more mpg

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Just increases the fuel pressure in the injector rail so when the injectors open it forces a small amount of extra fuel, because its under a higher pressure, into the cylinders.....most of which will get thrown out the exhaust as unburnt fuel.

Waste of time considering the cost.

Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
Not at all, I'm always happy to be corrected. Forty years of marriage have conditioned me to being in the wrong and I usually have to endure a poke in the ribs to go with it. :D

Keith Hart

Tell her about this and I'm sure she will oblige again;)

Apache

Free Member
Jun 22, 2014
Rotherham
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
5 Years
I Had one on my Td4 freelander , it had an adjustment facility ( a dial in 10 increments and a switch to alter something or other ) when first fitted it made the car fly but started to kick out black smoke ( over fuelling I think ) so I turned it down . After a bit of fiddling with the settings it settled in and made the car more torquey from the off and a little bit quicker all round. I reckoned it was improving MPG by 2 or 3 and put that down to it having more poke when accelerating and so was able to change up to the next gear/s sooner. It was an auto box . Made the car much better to drive , wish I hadn't sold it now . Doh !

OP
OP
GAVLAD
Jul 31, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
EuraMobil Activa 820HS
Exp
Not yet - it's still in the garage.
Will let you all know how it performs as & when

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I have a Torquing of Diesels box..
With it on I get an average of just over 1mpg but more importantly for me I do not have to chase gears so much ( still cannot believe I bought a 5+ tonne van that has a 2.3 lump in it ! )

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
I have a Torquing of Diesels box..
With it on I get an average of just over 1mpg but more importantly for me I do not have to chase gears so much ( still cannot believe I bought a 5+ tonne van that has a 2.3 lump in it ! )
I hope you mean 1mpg extra!:whistle:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Well durrr !! LOL !!!

yes, an extra 1 mpg !
This has been checked over a 2000 mile period agin the figures from the first 1700 miles we did before fitting it

Had more or less the same effect on the old Miller that had a 2.8 JTD lump in it ( though we actually did slightly better than the 1 MPG,,, usually closer to 2 on that beasty )

RowleyBirkinQC

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 20, 2014
Dazed & Confused
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
We found our Tunit box over the weekend hidden away in a random place - one of SWMBO's "safe places" apparently. Whilst we don't "need" it as such on current van, its going on for much the same reason as Jaws describes for inclines and overtaking.

Nov 6, 2013
S. Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
The usual
Exp
Since the beginning
No Keith, it wont. All they do is alter the signals and trick the ecu to alter the fuel rail pressure, which in turn gives better performance (and sometimes more smoke). No harm in trying it. I have one on my diesel jag.
Sorry, but that's not entirely correct.
Audi and Mercedes have a system on their EMS that creates a "flag" when it detects any changes to the factory map. It's not possible to remove the "flag".
This was highlighted on a forum by someone who had had his Audi S3 remapped - for whatever reasons he destroyed the engine - tried to claim on the warranty, only to be told by audi that he'd invalidated the warranty.
If Audi and Mercedes can do it - who else is ?

Personally I don't like these one size fits all "tune up boxes" - including one that currently one being advertised for the 3ltr Fiat lump that claims to take the power from 157bhp to 235bhp (yeah right).
I've had many cars "tuned up" - all done properly on a Dyno. That is the only way to do the job properly, and actually doesn't cost that much more than "magic box"

It's up the individual what they do, but - do plenty of research, and take the claimed gains claimed with a pinch of salt.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
More to the point, since when does an MOT station check what is mapped ?
There is absolutely no need to and no aspect of performance tuning it taken in to account by vosa or what ever its called this week ! ( unless of course it is causing excess gasses of some sort )
Even then they will merely fail the vehicle .. They will not check to see what is causing an issue

RowleyBirkinQC

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 20, 2014
Dazed & Confused
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
We fitted our old V-CR Tunit box on the 2006 2.3 JTD Tracker today, left the setting at 5 (out of 10) for best compromise between power/mpg, then took it for a test drive with Cindy piloting and me following for a smoke check. At the rate she was hustling up and down the A34, maintaining momentum up inclines, without chuffing out anything nasty from the exhaust, I think we'll be keeping it on. (y)

There are no claims of mass bhp increase for this box, a modest gain of 20 bhp and 30 additional Lbs/feet torque on the 110 bhp 2.3 JTD lump I think, just enough to make it a bit more responsive and not wheezing out as easily up hill.

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back