Newbie Needs To Get From Calais To La Roche Sur Yon (1 Viewer)

Jan 21, 2015
Stoke on Trent
Funster No
MH
Lo-line Coachbuilt
Exp
Just Starting Fifth Year
Hi Funsters; we are booked on our first ever foray into French France and desperately need help from you experienced guys.
We are travelling from Stoke to La Pin Parasol campsite at La Roche Sur Yon, just south of Nantes, with 2 small children, so will need to travel over 2 days.
My plan is to travel down to Dover, over on the ferry, then complete approx 150 miles on day 1, then complete the journey on day 2.
I'm seeking advice on the best route from Calais to La Roche.
Also, I want to stay at a campsite overnight on day 1 rather than an Aires, to allow the kids to have a play break, any suggestions for a good site approx 120/150 miles down from Calais?
Lastly, the return journey will also be over 2 days and on this leg I hope to get to approx 30 miles from Calais on day 1. Any suggestions for a good Aires for the overnight stop?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.
Pete D.

Sep 3, 2014
Eccles, Norfolk
Funster No
MH
American RV A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Head for Le Havre just the other side is honfleur it's the first junction after you come off the pont du Normandy

Upvote 0

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
We're not a million miles from Stoke and always use the M40 then go anti-clockwise round the M25 for Dover, to avoid Dartford - worth considering.

Honfleur is about the right distance from Calais for your outward trip. Don't know about campsites though as we use the huge aire there.

After Honfleur if you're using a Satnav it will take you along some decent-sized roads for a bit until you reach the A12 Autoroute, then it's plain sailing to your destination.

Less than an hour up the road from La Roche sur Yon in the direction of Cholet is Parc Puy du Fou - I'm not sure how small your kids are but they might a enjoy a trip there - it's France's most popular home-grown visitor attraction.

On the way back you're looking for something around Boulogne or just after. The aire at Wissant is easy (and free) but that's quite close to Calais.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
your better of to use the dartford crossing as theres usually more trafic and more miles going the anticlockwise way heading south is a doddle now as theres no barriers coming back there is still some trafic but not enough to warrant going the other way
just remember to pay online

Upvote 0

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
your better of to use the dartford crossing as theres usually more trafic and more miles going the anticlockwise way heading south is a doddle now as theres no barriers coming back there is still some trafic but not enough to warrant going the other way
just remember to pay online

Anti-clockwise from the M40 is 9 more miles to travel but 4 minutes quicker according to Google Maps. In reality it's probably six of one and half a dozen of the other, but I've seen more M25 snarl-ups North East of London than West of it.

Upvote 0

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
There's a campsite on the 'front' at Honfleur, just keep to the left of the river then when you run out of road, hand a left and it's on the right. Unfortunately O don't know the name though.

Coming back - how about the seaside? I'm thinking Berck sur Mer - two Aires, an esplanade with all one expects from same, and a vast flat beach for playtime. (If you stay on the beach aire there are vast dunes at the back of the beach too up that end) Plus of course butchers bakers candlestick makers frock and souvenir shops fishmongers grocery and greengrocery - it's like old fashioned seaside resorts were in the UK when we were little! No rock shops though.......

Upvote 0

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Am almost certain it's called 'Camping du Phare' - a phare being a lighthouse. Anyway says it's 300m from the centre of Honfleur so that sounds about right! Can't find it has a website itself, however it's certainly mentioned on 'UK Camping' (which includes some forrin places LOL) but I haven't read the reviews or anything that's up to you.

Upvote 0
Nov 6, 2013
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B574DL
Exp
Since 2011 (tugger for 20 before that)
Sorry I can't help with your questions Pete but welcome to the best MotorHome forum on the net. (y)

Upvote 0

Clive

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 30, 2012
Canvey Island
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
I've stayed on that site when I had a caravan. The best route is via Rouen. I actually found it quite an easy drive to do in a day and that was with 3 boys in the car. The secret we found was to stop every two hours and let them have a run about. Your best bet for finding sites anywhere in France is a book called Le Guide Officiel Camping Caravanning, Amazon sell it and it has over 10,000 sites in it so wherever you are you can find a site. (y)

Upvote 0
Oct 1, 2014
Kent
Funster No
MH
Autocruise
Exp
2 weeks! def Newbie......
very good Information Sedge, I will check that site out. thanks.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Pete D.
Jan 21, 2015
Stoke on Trent
Funster No
MH
Lo-line Coachbuilt
Exp
Just Starting Fifth Year
Thanks for all your comments, got my route sorted and Honfluers looks about the right distance for my needs. Not sure which site though after reading reviews via Sedge, bit of work to do on that front. The new MH is just a few weeks away and Christine and I are getting pretty excited now.
Pete D.

Upvote 0
May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
Hi Pete,
Welcome from the Isle of Wight
sorry can't help with campsite, but on your way back there's a nice aire at Arques just south east of St Omer, outside of small campsite . about 30 miles
Terry

Upvote 0

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
calais to

http://www.camping-sainte-claire.com/ about 1hr 45 mins about 175k (105 miles)

This is both a campsite were you can book and ajacent is a aire which is turn up only, the campsite has a a good resturant and is very nice as is the aire. Its close to the motorway and the drive to veende is easily done in a day, about 6 hrs, around 500k (300 miles)

you wont be disapionted with this site.

Upvote 0

Travelbug1

Free Member
Aug 12, 2010
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
2 yr
I will second the above post about camping Sainte Claire, we have stayed there quite a few times when we used to do Dover/Calais to the Vendee with our kids when we had caravans and needed to stop overnight with them.
Nice town with supermarket & Lidl within walking distance of site for fuel & shopping.
Vendee is very flat so great for cycling with the kids too.

Upvote 0

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
On way home we like to stay at Municipal campsite at Wimereux.
Lots of 'faded elegance' a bit like Hastings :) and handy for the Auchan at St Omer on way to Calais on last day.

Upvote 0

Wickolad

Free Member
Sep 10, 2013
Wickersley
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Newbie to MH, 20yrs+ Caravanning.
Head for Le Havre just the other side is honfleur it's the first junction after you come off the pont du Normandy

Theres a great little site, 1 mile out of Honfleur called Camping Le Catiniere ( or very similar). Very friendly, good play area and swimming pool and plenty of grass for the kids and very reasonable price. We used it regularly doing Portsmouth/ Le Havre route.

http://campingcatiniere.mobi/en/

Upvote 0
Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Anti-clockwise from the M40 is 9 more miles to travel but 4 minutes quicker according to Google Maps. In reality it's probably six of one and half a dozen of the other, but I've seen more M25 snarl-ups North East of London than West of it.

It depends on the day and time. When we use Newhaven Dieppe (which saves 2 hours driving on French side if heading for ROUEN) always travel down M40 and M25 sunday afternoons,,,never had a delay...BUSBY.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back