Free Member
Jun 24, 2008
Durham
Funster No
MH
A Happy One
Exp
Since 2005
We are looking into investing in a new Generator as our old one is only 800w and is a bit low for what we need.

Some generators have their rating in Kilowatts and some in Kva.

How do we convert Kva into Kilowatts?

Or is it the same equivalent?

Thanks everyone.

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
kW is the unit of real power & kVA is the unit of Apparent power. Apparent Power= real power + reactive power

Watts = amps x Volts
Amps = Watts divided by voltage.

a one bar electric fire is approx 1kw.

work it out from there, unfortunately some appliances are marked in Watts and some in amps. you need to know your total use requirement and allow a safety margin. Remember if you up rate your Genny your supply cabling may also need uprating.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
They are not the same.. it's tempting to think they are but as it's AC power and not DC there is a difference.

1kw = 1.25kva
1kva = 0.8kw

If you are getting a bigger genny, I would look at getting one around 2 kva or 1.6kw
anything bigger will be a) heavy b) noisy

hope that helps

Jim

pudseykeith

Free Member
Nov 5, 2007
Leeds West Riding of York
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
6 Years
We have just gone through the same exersize. Having carefully concided the pros and cons we have purchased the Honda eu2 with a gas conversion from Edge Technology. It will provide for all our needs and It runs really smooth. Not cheep but the best never is.

PK

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
we have purchased the Honda eu2 with a gas conversion from Edge Technology. It will provide for all our needs and It runs really smooth. Not cheep but the best never is.

PK

Hi

I agree, great genny, I have the same one but without the LPG conversion.. worth every penny. :thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
If you are getting a bigger genny, I would look at getting one around 2 kva or 1.6kw
anything bigger will be a) heavy b) noisy

hope that helps

Jim

not nesseccerily true Jim.

we have a Kippor (yellow) IG 2.6kva and ,yes, it is a bit on the heavy side at 26kg but it is reasonably quite.

can just hear it when its under the rear window and we're watching TV. it does get a little louder if we put a heavier load on it, microwave ect, but not a lot.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
not nesseccerily true Jim.

we have a Kippor (yellow) IG 2.6kva and ,yes, it is a bit on the heavy side at 26kg but it is reasonably quite.

can just hear it when its under the rear window and we're watching TV. it does get a little louder if we put a heavier load on it, microwave ect, but not a lot.

Fair comment..

maybe I should have said .. anything 'much bigger' rather than just 'bigger'

but by your own admission it is 'fairly' heavy.. notice the use of the word 'fairly' .. :roflmto:

Re noise, they all tend to be 'fairly' noisy on full load .. even the so called 'fairly' quiet ones.. :winky:

Jim

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back