Motorhome Depot. (1 Viewer)

May 7, 2013
RUK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On our 2nd MH now a AutoTrail Savannah which we're absolutely delighted with
I would like to ask what is the general opinion,held by Funsters is of the above company and also of the warranty (The AA Dealer Care Extended Guarantee) they provide.
Look forward to your helpful comments
Thanks
Ian

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012 but longer in my dreams
From what I understand they're just brokers,they sell other peoples vans and take a cut.
I should imagine you could buy a van privately and buy the same warranty yourself.

Vlad

Upvote 0
Apr 28, 2013
Alentejo,Portugal
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since the '80,s
Just had a look,first time heard of them but live in France so no surprise.
Look like honest vans described by owners,plenty of choice and type.
Guess if you are talking to owners may be able to negotiate on price,some nice vans there be interested in any users replies,sorry can't be more help.Good luck in your search.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
Have you tried a search on here?

there was a quite recent thread.....

I think it depends what your local agent is like - ours was a waste of time which was frustrating as they had a few van we were interested in.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
IanF
May 7, 2013
RUK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
In my opinion and of course I may well be totally wrong but the vans are reasonably competitively priced. The deal for the seller is that Motorhome Depot do all the negotiations on a no sale no fee basis.

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
They phoned me up when I advertised my last van, they only advertise in the same places you can. Why give them 4 grand when you can do it yourself, my total advertising cost were £16 for an eBay classified add also put it on 10 other free sites.

Upvote 0

weekenders

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 30, 2008
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
15 years
They are a bit of doggy dealers, or should I say brokers.
@Ambilkate has a bit of an experience with them when she saw a van advertised, think it was in Mansfield but van was near Scotland.
Am sure Kate will tell you all about it, when they asked for a deposit before even the viewing

Upvote 0
M

Madwife

Deleted User
Have noticed some vans with them but from the descriptions I think that they are more used of selling cars than MH's as the descriptions are a bit strange!

Kath

Upvote 0

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
I would rather deal with the owner direct or a dealer than a subcontracted sales executive.
Not heard anything good about them and usually discard anything they're involved in. They sponsor the motorhome channel on tv and that's crap!!!

Upvote 0

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
The head honsho of Motorhome Depot, whose name escapes me at the mo, used to run a Chausson and Burstner Franchise near Mansfield. Friends of ours bought two Chaussons from him over 3 years and had excellent service. However, when the credit crunch struck the banks started baying for their money and as a consequence the company went under due to banks calling back loans/credit.

Same individual saw a niche in the market and thats how M.Depot began. As others have said, its really no different to buying private, apart from the fact that mi laddo takes a cut and then sells you a warranty so theres no comeback on him.

They had a biggish pitch at Lincoln Show last September.

The old adage applies 'you pays your money you takes your chance'.

Upvote 0

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012 but longer in my dreams
No come back on him !
Exactly why I would be wary,you don't get to talk to ,or meet the owner.You only deal with a third party who won't care if the van has damp issues or hidden defects as long as he gets a sale. Then he sells you a warranty that no doubt wouldn't cover the problem your could be left with, if it does go tits up you could be on your own.

Vlad the sceptic

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
IanF
May 7, 2013
RUK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
They are a bit of doggy dealers, or should I say brokers.
@Ambilkate has a bit of an experience with them when she saw a van advertised, think it was in Mansfield but van was near Scotland.
Am sure Kate will tell you all about it, when they asked for a deposit before even the viewing
Thanks again I will do

Upvote 0
OP
OP
IanF
May 7, 2013
RUK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Thanks guys really appreciate you taking an interest and providing the advice which of course I'll follow

Upvote 0

dshague

Free Member
Aug 22, 2007
Funster No
MH
VAN CONVERSION
Exp
20 years
They had a van I was interested in last year .there part exchange was seven thousand pounds les than my lowest offer and had two wait two days for rep to get back to me.

Upvote 0

Cossieg

Free Member
Jan 25, 2013
Yate for the summer!
Funster No
MH
None now
Exp
Had my van serviced, MoT'd and a few jobs done last year. I'm still putting right things they should have done or did, badly! I won't be using them again.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
IanF
May 7, 2013
RUK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Thanks again guys -It's quite clear I won't be using them either
Ian

Upvote 0

trekkin

Free Member
Sep 12, 2014
Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Rv
Exp
5 years but still learning
Have some experience of them recently

They were photographing one to advertise, the owner was involved in the description, and anything that they declared had to work, and they were checked over and repaired as necessary, serviced and MOT,
There is a little more transparency and more of an incentive for the seller to get things fixed, not sure if there was any repercussions if there not

Not an endorsement just an observation

Upvote 0

celcat

Free Member
Dec 19, 2012
Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
2 years
They had a motorhome that we were interested in a while ago but we were too late. He said he would let us know if anything else came up and true to his word he has. He rang a week ago to see if we were still looking and yesterday we received very detailed photos of the motorhome, (far better than ebay etc.). He has also said what he'd be able to sell ours for and has been honest as to what we'd get and what he'd put it up for sale for.
He has had motorhomes himself as well and appears to have been doing this for a number of years.

After reading the posts on here we're now in a dilemma :cautious:

Upvote 0
Dec 29, 2012
Cheltenham
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7066df
Exp
Since 2014
They had a motorhome that we were interested in a while ago but we were too late. He said he would let us know if anything else came up and true to his word he has. He rang a week ago to see if we were still looking and yesterday we received very detailed photos of the motorhome, (far better than ebay etc.). He has also said what he'd be able to sell ours for and has been honest as to what we'd get and what he'd put it up for sale for.
He has had motorhomes himself as well and appears to have been doing this for a number of years.

We purchased our motorhome via Motorhome depot. It was in Canvey Island. I see you are in Essex, if the agent is Ian then we found him very helpful.

Upvote 0

RogeTeri

Free Member
Apr 8, 2012
Abrantes, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
February 2013.
I would like to ask what is the general opinion,held by Funsters is of the above company and also of the warranty (The AA Dealer Care Extended Guarantee) they provide.
Look forward to your helpful comments
Thanks
Ian
I bought my van from them. I've had it two years now with no major problems. Have done just over 30,000 miles.
I found them helpful. They met me in Manchester where the van was kept by the owners a rental company it's a 2011 plate. I tried to negotiate on price but they were not interested. No different from buying second hand.

Upvote 0
Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
Never heard of these fellas, don't think I would take the trouble of buying anywhere cept the West Country, BUT!!!

@Rogetri just read your post!!!

then I read your signature:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Upvote 0

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
When looking for a van recently for my son they had a van we were interested in. Unfortunately someone from Sweden had already bought it and paid. He did let us have a look at it and it was exactly as described he wasn't trying to hide anything never made out it was his and the price was about right for the van. We would definitely consider buying from them if they had a van we wanted as it was the van we eventually bought was from a broker. Also we've sold RVs in the past through a broker 1 here and 1 in USA no problems either both were good to their word got the price agreed and transferred funds on time.
Profit isn't a dirty word is it ?

Upvote 0

laird of Dunstan

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 15, 2015
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9000DFH
Exp
ex caravanner
To the man from kilsyth a man originally from kikintilloch here , one of my negotiating tricks is when I'm buying from a dealer is to ask to see the documents with the vehicle and from that obtain the previous owner contact details and then ring the person up and enquire if the vehicle was a good one or a Monday morning special , the dealer does not know if there has been a history of problems , the only guys who know that are the owners. Going with mh depot negates that I think

Upvote 0
OP
OP
IanF
May 7, 2013
RUK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
To the man from kilsyth a man originally from kikintilloch here , one of my negotiating tricks is when I'm buying from a dealer is to ask to see the documents with the vehicle and from that obtain the previous owner contact details and then ring the person up and enquire if the vehicle was a good one or a Monday morning special , the dealer does not know if there has been a history of problems , the only guys who know that are the owners. Going with mh depot negates that I think

Excellent idea well done you!
Would have thought you might have picked up the "Laird of Dullator"title though!

Upvote 0

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...

well I hope you have had the motorhome thoroughly checked out and not taken anyones word for anything, damp test, is weight practical etc....same applies whoever you buy from!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Nov 8, 2014
DORSET
Funster No
MH
AutoSleeper Nuevo EK
They phoned me up when I advertised my last van, they only advertise in the same places you can. Why give them 4 grand when you can do it yourself, my total advertising cost were £16 for an eBay classified add also put it on 10 other free sites.
HEAR HEAR

Upvote 0
Aug 27, 2014
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
McLouis Tandy 640+
Exp
Since 2014
Limited experience, but I contacted them about a van I was interested in, that was a long way away from me. They were very good on the phone - the guy explained that the owner hired the van out and as such it had more marks and knocks than most, "wouldn't want you to travel a long way and be disappointed. It's well priced and the faults are all cosmetic, how about I send you a set of more detailed pictures?"

A refreshingly honest approach - it was well priced, but when I got the pictures you could see that it had had a hard life, detail that you couldn't see on the web advert. I, for one, was impressed. I didn't go to see it, but if it had not been for that honesty I would have made a 10 hour round trip for nothing.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back