Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
n/w lancs heysham
Funster No
MH
bolero 630pr
Exp
since2004
hi, does any funsters know if there are any places in spain (coastal) that will top up our calor gas bottles, like they do in portugal, algarve. previous van we had a 13 kg and 7kg, the new van is fitted with 2x7 kg calorlite. we have always managed in the past with the 13and 7. but it is so convenient in the algarve to be able to top up, we are only going costa blanca ishh. dont want to go down gaslow route. thanks

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Never heard of any LPG station topping up Calor bottles... (or any other bottle that doesn't have an auto cutoff valve ) .. surprised they do it in Portugal.. I'm almost certain it's not legal.. it is certainly dangerous..

is this done by the attendant.. or by yourself ??

Apr 25, 2014
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Overhead cab
Exp
8 years
Google Repsol (this may be wrong but I seem to remember something about it when we in Spain a few years ago) but I think you'll find it almost impossible. We were on a rally at La Manga and one of the permanent residents got them filled but I think it was illegal (we didn't enquire....).
We solved the problem by getting Gaslow canisters installed. Much cheaper to fill up and you can fill at any garage that does LPG

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
katyjune

katyjune

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
n/w lancs heysham
Funster No
MH
bolero 630pr
Exp
since2004
hi, its done by the attendant at the GPLstation, on n125, at junction to boliqueime, he as all the brass connectors for all the european gas bottles, def not a back st garage setup, also sister site nr border, on way to seville, the service is advertised on the algarve.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
lots of places do it in portugal.
dont think you will find anywhere in spain . but keep your eyes open for other uk vans lots have adaptors to fill uk bottles here.
morocco will fill uk bottles and most of the african countries and on the way to india . but that doesnt help you .

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
lots of places do it in portugal.
dont think you will find anywhere in spain . but keep your eyes open for other uk vans lots have adaptors to fill uk bottles here.
morocco will fill uk bottles and most of the african countries and on the way to india . but that doesnt help you .

yes.. quite correct Alan.. it is certainly done in a lot of developing counties..

but it doesn't make it safe... or legal in Spain

My advice is if the OP wants refillable bottles they should fit refillable bottles.. not use a bodge onto a Calor or Repsol exchange bottle..

that's my opinion..

OP
OP
katyjune

katyjune

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
n/w lancs heysham
Funster No
MH
bolero 630pr
Exp
since2004
hi, slightly bemused ,are calor gas bottles not refillable, somebody must fill them. this company seem to know what they are doing, he says he will only fill bottles that are completely empty. the company Broken Link Removed

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
i normally carry a spanish cepsa bottle ,using it now . if going to maroc carry one of their bottles . only using a uk bottle as back up. but can and will fill it if i need to . or the other two if need to.
unfortunately in the right place to help op. but lots do carry filling adapters and i would say most have very good engineered fittings . fill by litres if empty. obviously care has to be taken .
but every one has their own thoughts .
there as been several threads on gas bottle filling .

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
yes.. quite correct Alan.. it is certainly done in a lot of developing counties..

but it doesn't make it safe... or legal in Spain

My advice is if the OP wants refillable bottles they should fit refillable bottles.. not use a bodge onto a Calor or Repsol exchange bottle..

that's my opinion..

How do Calor fill them then....they either weigh them or control the volume. Can see no problem filling using an adaptor providing bottle is empty and you know how many litres ie 80% of capacity to put in...Been doing it for years...BUSBY.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I'm not going to debate this, it's been done to death already.. you know the risks and are happy to take them , that is your choice..

I gave my opinion, and yes, @busby I do know how Calor fill bottles.. I was employed by Shell UK Oil at Shellhaven as an instrument technician, in that capacity I repaired, maintained and calibrated LPG bottling equipment.. so may just have a little bit of knowledge of bottle filling.. ..

As far as I know, no one except Calor is authorised to fill Calor bottles..

Legally.. ask Calor .. they have already made a statement and I quote

to fill LPG cylinders from Autogas dispensers. This practice is not only unlawful but also highly dangerous

Broken Link Removed

what bemuses me is people will pay £10s of thousands for a van, yet risk it all, void their insurance, all for the cost of a legal and safe refillable system..

YOUR choice it's YOUR van.. but be aware, you are also endangering others .. that's my last word..

andeb

Free Member
Dec 9, 2012
On the road
Funster No
MH
Euramobil 665HS
Exp
Since 2008
Picked up a flyer whilst travelling down thorough Spain at the tail end of last year. There is a place at Estepona Port who claim to fill all types of gas bottle, see their web site ( http://gasbottlerefill.com/ ). Have never used them so cannot vouch for them one way or another. Might be worth a phone call. Nothing ventured nothing gained.

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
My mate filled his in Spain when we were there. He had a long attachment and the attandant added another end bit and filled it up no hassle.
That was a Repsol garage :)

OP
OP
katyjune

katyjune

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
n/w lancs heysham
Funster No
MH
bolero 630pr
Exp
since2004
fun, you must be joking
what bemuses me is people will pay £10s of thousands for a van, yet risk it all, void their insurance, all for the cost of a legal and safe refillable system..

YOUR choice it's YOUR van.. but be aware, you are also endangering others .. that's my last word.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
I'm not going to debate this, it's been done to death already.. you know the risks and are happy to take them , that is your choice..

I gave my opinion, and yes, @busby I do know how Calor fill bottles.. I was employed by Shell UK Oil at Shellhaven as an instrument technician, in that capacity I repaired, maintained and calibrated LPG bottling equipment.. so may just have a little bit of knowledge of bottle filling.. ..

to fill LPG cylinders from Autogas dispensers. This practice is not only unlawful but also highly dangerous

Broken Link Removed

YOUR choice it's YOUR van.. but be aware, you are also endangering others .. that's my last word..

I dont take van to garage to fill bottle up,,,take my old car because i use the gas for my super serve heater at home....Try to use Spanish gas in van...BUSBY.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
when we went to Spain last year in October, as we planned to use aires mainly, I was worried about running out of gas, (Calor bottles) so took our normal 1 x 7kg and 1 x 13kg that fill the gas locker box, plus a spare 13kg (flogas) secured in garage, to hopefully be sure we would not run out

I know the 13kg was unused when we left but we did not even use the 13kg, we had it on for heating water and us most nights, but did have some nights on sites and parked on friends drive, but 15 nights not on electric and used less than 13kg

I will not worry so much next time, it is a bit weather dependent but Spain in October / November is not overly warm once you head north

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
fun, you must be joking

nope, I wasn't joking, it won't be fun if your van goes bang due to an overfilled bottle.. ..:eek:

do you know what happens if a cylinder is overfilled and you get liquid LPG at a cooker burner.. or indeed the fridge.. ?

like I said.. YOUR van .. your choice..

see below ...>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Last edited:

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Had a few like this as a Fire Officer for 30 years, listen to Scotjimland. Nasty stuff this LPG, cutting corners to save a bob or two kept me busy. Most accidents were preventable, we all know this, but there are many out there who are happy to put their lives at risk to save a few bob. Well posted Scotjimland, but on falling deaf ears is a common problem.

OP
OP
katyjune

katyjune

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
n/w lancs heysham
Funster No
MH
bolero 630pr
Exp
since2004
jim, i know the risks thats why i wont have a gaslow system fitted, i asked a simple question re if there was any one who knew where in spain gas could be refilled as in portugal. if you didnt know why bother to post.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
im, i know the risks thats why i wont have a gaslow system fitted, i asked a simple question re if there was any one who knew where in spain gas could be refilled as in portugal. if you didnt know why bother to post.

you know the risks but are still quite happy to have a cowboy fill your gas bottle.. that doesn't make sense.

you said they will only fill if it is empty.. that proves they do not have proper filling equipment.. ie .. cowboys.

It was YOU mentioned Gaslow.. but since you did, yes, it is far safer than using bottles filled by a cowboy operator who is not trained or licensed to refill Calor bottles..

you asked a question and I gave a responsible and informed reply based on my experience and knowledge of the industry.. it wasn't the answer you wanted so you now retort by saying 'why bother to post' .. that is neither polite nor in the spirit of the forum..

safe travels and good luck.. I promise not to try and help you again..

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
I gave up the battle of these adapters years ago, having had refillable bottles on 3 motorhomes since 2007, and being able to fill up all over Europe is one of the best things we did. (y)
Lpg here in Spain is 59 cents a litre, and bottled Propane is €15. 4o and Butane is €17.80. :) Bob.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
when we went to Spain last year in October, as we planned to use aires mainly, I was worried about running out of gas, (Calor bottles) so took our normal 1 x 7kg and 1 x 13kg that fill the gas locker box, plus a spare 13kg (flogas) secured in garage, to hopefully be sure we would not run out

I know the 13kg was unused when we left but we did not even use the 13kg, we had it on for heating water and us most nights, but did have some nights on sites and parked on friends drive, but 15 nights not on electric and used less than 13kg

I will not worry so much next time, it is a bit weather dependent but Spain in October / November is not overly warm once you head north
& if stopped by the Guardia you could well be looking at a large fine as transporting of refillable bottles is only allowed to a maximum amount of 15kgs ! I.E. if I have 2 x12,5kg bottles empty & have to take them for exchange you , legally,cannot take both at once .
My mate used to turn up here with 2 x cepsa; 1 x repsol + Uk calor bottles & he had onboard gaslow !!

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
& if stopped by the Guardia you could well be looking at a large fine as transporting of refillable bottles is only allowed to a maximum amount of 15kgs ! I.E. if I have 2 x12,5kg bottles empty & have to take them for exchange you , legally,cannot take both at once .
My mate used to turn up here with 2 x cepsa; 1 x repsol + Uk calor bottles & he had onboard gaslow !!

Many thanks for that, I was completely oblivious, so even without my extra spare bottle I am illegal in Spain with 20kg?:Eeek:

I thought plenty of MH's had 2 x 13kg

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Safety Regulations are for yours and the Safety of the Public in general. They are not there to generate income or obstruct your everyday life, they are there to protect you and are quite often put into place following an incident that has caused loss of life or damage to property.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
It is very rare that anyone gets problems with having too many bottles on board but, that said, the day will come when one of them , or the boss, suddenly decides that there should be a crackdown. The Repsol site actually states that you can take
" 2 x 12,5kg cylinders in a secure upright position " to exchange for full ones, " subject to regulations" . Nice get out that as Trafico state that gas can be carried to a maximum of 15kgs.

There are similar regs in the UK for commercial vehicles. I.e: a fridge engineer can only carry a total amount of all gases , whether refrigerant/oxy-acetylene & even nitrogen which is inert , is classified as part of the amount.
I seem to recall it is around 47kgs.
Whether or not these would apply to motorhomes , I have no idea.

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012

Broken Link Removed

WE ARE ALL DOOMED CAPATIN MAINWARING

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back