Leisure Battery Connections (1 Viewer)

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
On from the problems with the van electrics (still not sorted) I took the leisure battery off today as it would not hold a charge.
I bought the van last July and was told that both batteries were good (yeah right). I should have known something was wrong from the start - the sound on the TV would go off if a tap was used !
I noticed that the cables to the battery were blue to positive and brown to negative - not what I expected.
The connectors are the clamp type with plastic covers, hard to tell any difference with coloured plastic covers - red and blue.........blue cables to the red cover, brown cable to the blue cover
The Van is a 24 year old Eribacar built in France........any ideas?
Thanks

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Make absolutely sure neither cable can touch earth then connect a volt meter ignoring the coloured battery caps.
Turn on the charger and view the meter.
If it's a digital meter it will show a minus before or after the numbers
If it's the wrong way round.
If it's correct only the numbers will show.
If it's an old moving needle type the needle will try to swing backwards if it's wrong.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Not sure what you are asking, but Blue for Positive & either Brown or White for neg is standard.
The Pos & Neg posts are a slightly different diameter, so shouldn't be possible to connect incorrectly, but it is possible. The battery should have a + mark by the positive terminal. The red capped terminal is for the positive & the blue capped terminal is for the negative.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back