Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
Hi probably a silly question but can the dometic winter fridge covers stay on all year???I am asking because there is a gap under each one which I assume is to let it vent?? Rendering it poosib!y not ness.to remove in summer????

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Hi probably a silly question but can the dometic winter fridge covers stay on all year???I

no.. they should be removed ,
should only used in really cold weather.. if used in summer they will impede the flow of cooling air.. thereby reducing the efficiency of the fridge

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Couldn't find my covers for my trip to Durness last month and all worked well at -11C, including winds of 60+ mph, not really sure what use they actually are in the UK, the fridge will probably work fine on or off :)

Maybe the odd warm day, but they only seem to happen every few years or so (y)

Not contradicting Jim though, just think they are yet another thing we carry and don't really know why

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Maybe the odd warm day, but they only seem to happen every few years or so (y)

perhaps in the UK it wouldn't make a lot of difference.. but these fridges are sold World wide so have to work in very hot countries.. as well as temperate climates like the UK.. and even with covers off, on a hot day in Spain the fridge will struggle unless you fit extractor fans on the top vent..

Converse, they also have to work in very cold countries.. where covers may be needed..
oddly enough an absorption fridge needs heat to work.. too cold and it won't be able to generate enough heat to drive the cooling cycle.

Thankfully in the UK we don't often have these extremes of climate...

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back