LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Possibly useful for portable 12v power but not going to help much with big current draw requirements such as jump-starting a 2.5 litre diesel or more - unless I am wrong.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Huh I could use one of those :whistle2:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mar 16, 2010
Carmarthenshire
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Since 1988
Possibly useful for portable 12v power but not going to help much with big current draw requirements such as jump-starting a 2.5 litre diesel or more - unless I am wrong.
I bought one last year when they were in Aldi and it has been used a couple of times to start my motorhome a ford 2.2 engine when the battery was flat. Started it no problem and used the compressor to pump up the air suspension. Handy to carry for emergencies .

bernardfeay

Free Member
Nov 18, 2009
Bolton
Funster No
MH
hymer exsis
Exp
10 years
I've had two of these from Aldi in the past. Neither of them worked. I did all the farting about taking them back with a receipt but never managed to get any use out of them. maybe it's just me... yeah, probably.

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
I bought one last year when they were in Aldi and it has been used a couple of times to start my motorhome a ford 2.2 engine when the battery was flat. Started it no problem and used the compressor to pump up the air suspension. Handy to carry for emergencies .
The one that I have looks like this physical size but cannot jump start a flat battery for my 2.5 litre diesel camper - the best that it will do is give the battery enough power to allow it to start charging from my 240v battery charger. The ones that I have seen that are designed for larger batteries are at least twice this Aldi price ... Such as this one

Broken Link Removed

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I bought one a few years ago which went wrong within the guarantee period. Aldi, to their credit, had it collected and replaced it with a new one sent from Germany. Never got much use from it though so didn't replace the second one when that also went wrong :)

EDT - I bought the Aldi one after rejecting one from Halfords which was dearer and total rubbish :)

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
The one that I have looks like this physical size but cannot jump start a flat battery for my 2.5 litre diesel camper - the best that it will do is give the battery enough power to allow it to start charging from my 240v battery charger. The ones that I have seen that are designed for larger batteries are at least twice this Aldi price ... Such as this one

Broken Link Removed

I like the Price Cut. Save over £6. Wow their generosity is beyond belief.
:LOL:

markh

Free Member
Jun 4, 2014
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Lots
I have a lightweight one like the Aldi one and it won't start my Transit when the battery is flat, never flattened the battery on my Ducato, but doubt if it would start that either

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
If at home i would jump start my van from my car,,,if on site ask a neighbour or ring break down...BUSBY.

Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
I've always wondered would those things work on a larger engine. In fact I can't imagine how they do work at all.

What I do is carry 2 sets of jump starter leads, with the idea of joining them together with the crocodile clips and connecting the 220 amp/hr leisure batteries to the van battery. In an emergency only, of course. Never tried it, though.

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Unfortunately, while they are useful, they do need to be looked after re charging every x no. of weeks / months as they discharge. Many reviewers have commented that they have ended up with devices that only hold their charge for 24 hours. Mine no longer charges and I am not sure that I would bother with a replacement unless I can find one at a good price that would start 2.5-3 litre diesel engines.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I wouldn't waste my money..

if you don't have already, rather spend it on a set of commercial jump leads.. not those skinny ones from Halfords.. proper commercial ones with heavy clamps and thick cable..

OllieUK

Free Member
Jun 23, 2013
Ramsgate
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr E520
Exp
Since 2009
The reason I would buy 1 of these is if I thought I had a dodgy battery, but considering the use I would get out of it, I would probably replace the dodgy battery with a new one first.
My reasoning: the booster charger would have to be on charge most of the time to keep it topped up in case of an emergency, at Home. No use if I'm out and about. Also the 1 we had before when we did want to use it it was corroded and didn't work. Unless you have a fleet or a number of motors that have dodgy batteries. they turn out to be expensive dust collectors.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I wouldn't waste my money..

if you don't have already, rather spend it on a set of commercial jump leads.. not those skinny ones from Halfords.. proper commercial ones with heavy clamps and thick cable..

I have taken this advice and bought these

Broken Link Removed

Long enough to reach my leisure batteries and hopefully man enough to do the job

Hopefully now will never need them (y)

joncris

Free Member
Jan 11, 2011
Where it matters
Funster No
MH
Rimor Katamarano 12p +
Exp
I have one very similar and its been used to start a V8 Landrover, a 4ltr V8 Lexus and a diesel 2.5ltr campervan Also the ciggy socket allows me to check certain 12v devices without having to hump them outdoors to use the cars ciggie lighter

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
I have one of the previous versions from Aldi and it works well, its jumped my Iveco to start before now and a big VW toerag diesel which was totally dead. I use the compressor for adjusting tyre pressures on the race car and it works well.

D.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
I've always wondered would those things work on a larger engine. In fact I can't imagine how they do work at all.

What I do is carry 2 sets of jump starter leads, with the idea of joining them together with the crocodile clips and connecting the 220 amp/hr leisure batteries to the van battery. In an emergency only, of course. Never tried it, though.

My leisure battery is under the bonnet so i can do it with one set of jump leads. BUSBY.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back