Front page: Too much off topic ? (1 Viewer)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I know this has been raised before and Jim was keeping an eye on it, but recently there seems to have been more and more non motorhome related topics on the front page..

Off topic has it's place, we can't always be talking motorhomes but I think the balance has now swung too far toward the 'off topic' .. Interesting motorhome topics are pushed off the bottom before many have seen them, I know they are searchable, but when they drop off the page most are forgotten or new topics on the same subject are started before the old one has been concluded.. not everyone has the time nor inclination to troll through the forums looking for fresh posts on motorhome subjects.

If I were a guest I might be wondering if it's really a motorhome forum..

Just my opinion .. what do you think ?

takeaflight

Free Member
Sep 4, 2007
Stratford-upon-Avon
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Hi Jim I do take your point, however I think that when the season starts to hot up and more of us start using the m/h's again then the front page will probably look motorhome friendly.

A newby as only got to follow some of the posts and he or she will soon realize they are in the right place, assuming they have done the same on some of the other forums.:winky:

Roy

A and K

Free Member
Sep 8, 2007
Nottinghamshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Since April 07'
Yes, totally agree Jim :thumb:. We know it can't be all motorhome related topics and it's fine to read and discuss other subjects but after all, this is a motorhome forum.
We come on the site to read, learn, ask and advise about our (and others) motorhome and all things associated with it. But it's a shame if most of the threads are starting to be non motorhome related.If we are not careful, the site will soon start to lose its appeal, especially in gaining new members.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Well I saw 12 Motorhome related topics on the front page this morning.

It's inevitable that , due the the number of members on this forum, the new topics will rapidly disappear.

I think the balance of FUN and other discussions is ok.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Jim does have a point, and it has been discussed before, we just have to strive for the middle ground.

That said, quite a lot of jokes have been appearing in Off Topic lately, these are normally "one off" posts. Jokes should really be posted in the Link Removed. "Off Topic" is the place for Discussions about things not motorhome related.

Many, including me, are guilty of posting one-off jokes in "Off Topic" when they really should be in the Belly locker. The belly locker posts do appear on theLink Removed, just not on the main front page. Google is barred from indexing Posts in the Belly Locker so anyone searching for motorhome stuff does not find out what the vicar said to the prostitute.

I have increased the number of posts that appear on the front page and if we
remember to keep jokes in the belly locker I think we should have the balance about right.

The last time we talked about this subject Link Removed:Smile:

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Jim does have a point, and it has been discussed before, we just have to strive for the middle ground.

The last time talked about this subject I was likened to Hitler:Smile:

:ROFLMAO:As moderator and Creator of an active site you are always going to upset someone.....:Doh:You're in between a rock and a hard place.

Just don't invade anyone....:RollEyes:

Last edited:

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Hi Jim, I agree with what has been said,, and throw my arms up to have put and started threads in the "belly locker",, and one that I inadvertently put in the "U Shape Lounge" which should have gone in the "Belly Locker", which I appologies for..

I think a lot of it is shear boredom,, on most parts,, with lack of trips and things to do outside home,, especially with the weather we have been having..

Would it not be possible to put any "Belly Locker" threads straight into the forums section,, thus bypassing the front page,, anybody wanting to read jokes etc would have to go to the forums list, then scroll down and click on the "Belly Locker" section to read any jokes that have been inserted.,

Just my thoughts.:thumb:

thehutchies

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
The Wheelèd Shed
Funster No
MH
Exp
Google is barred from indexing Posts in the Belly Locker so anyone searching for motorhome stuff does not find out what the vicar said to the prostitute.

I have increased the number of posts that appear on the front page and if we
remember to keep jokes in the belly locker I think we should have the balance about right.

The last time we talked about this subject Link Removed:Smile:

Why, what DID the vicar say to the prostitute? :Eeek:

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Hi Jim
It's a lose lose situation at times

What you need is a 'whipping boy' .. a real bad ass mod to take the blame :Cool:

can Bryan not do it ... :roflmto::roflmto:

:ROFLMAO:Crikey Jim....I DO hope you're not volunteering to be Mr Whippee.....

:Eeek:. Poor Bryan.....

[ame]http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=GGWVBO1peX8[/ame]

Last edited:
OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
:ROFLMAO:Crikey Jim....I DO hope you're not volunteering to be Mr Whippee.....

:Eeek:. Poor Bryan.....

I think the success of this forum is largely due to Jim's even handed and fair moderation .. and not having mods who jump at every opportunity to lambast someone for straying off topic or asking a repeat question.. keep up the good work Jim.. :thumb:

Jim

Last edited:

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
I think the success of this forum is largely due to Jim's even handed and fair moderation .. and not having mods who jump at every opportunity to lambast someone for straying off topic or asking a repeat question.. keep up the good work Jim.. :thumb:

Jim

Seconded from me too.:thumb::thanks:

Papa Smurf

Sep 25, 2007
Funster No
I do agree with ScotJimLand but as a forum owner myself, I know the frustrations of trying to keep things balanced.

My personal opinion is that we require "facilitators" (moderators without too much power) who are able to move incorrect threads into the correct forum for example. I also think there are too many forum topics, so it may be easier to reduce the number by a few (as an off-topic example, it's easy to choose between red paint and blue paint, but if you put 256 shades inbetween them, the choice is harder).

Jim & Bryan do a great Job, but don;t let it become too much of a burden!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back