LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Any one handy with repairs... might be a good buy... (y)

Broken Link Removed

Just read through again..... and seem`s the repairs have been done..

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
If a vehicle was marked up as a total loss then you cannot reinsure it unless it has been recertified as to the repairs.

OP
OP
old-mo

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
A category D insurance write-off falls into the former class: it can legally return to the road, so long as it complies with specific rules governing the various stages of its return to use on the public highway.

Firstly though, what causes a cat D write-off? Quite often, nothing more than light damage. It generally means the vehicle has been lightly damaged but the financial cost of repairing the car outweighs its market value.

In short, it is not economical to repair – remember, car insurance companies look at the total cost of repair here, including hire cars, expensive-to-source parts for particular models and so on. Cat D status can sometimes be for very minor damage, if the rest of the repair process is deemed to be more than the car is worth.

This does not mean it can’t be put back on the road, however. Here’s what’s involved in using a category D insurance write-off on the road.

Cat D insurance write-off repairs

Once a vehicle is written off and the insurance claim has been paid to the owner, the car insurance company then legally owns the vehicle.

Following this, insurers often sell these cars on to garages and motor factors that have the means to repair any damage at a reduced cost. This makes it financially viable for these businesses to repair the car to a roadworthy condition and sell it on, with the insurance company also recouping some of its costs.

Repairing a category D insurance write-off

If your car has been written off as a category D case, the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) and the Vehicle and Operator Services Agency (VOSA) will not be informed of the situation, and the car will not be subject to a Vehicle Information Check.

The damage is deemed light enough that the car can be repaired and put back on the road following the work. Of course, the car can also be sold through a licensed salvage yard as a damaged car, or broken for spare parts.

If the Cat D car is repaired, we do highly recommend that you get a professional mechanic or vehicle engineer to assess the quality of the work and ensure it has been carried out to a high standard. This way, the repaired car will be as safe as possible.

RAC top tip

It’s important to remember a cat D car will have been written off only because it is uneconomical to fix, not because any potential damage was so great it could not be driven again.

As a result, no test is needed to validate the work, as a reputable garage should deliver the car to a roadworthy standard – if not, subsequent MOT tests should pick up any defects or faulty repairs anyway.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

joncris

Free Member
Jan 11, 2011
Where it matters
Funster No
MH
Rimor Katamarano 12p +
Exp
Our Hymer was a class D as possibly being too costly to repair. Before keeping the salvage (thereby reducing the payout) I checked with VOSA and was told they aren't interested in MH's and a class D would NOT require re-certification anyway. We then sold the van to a repairer at a profit which went toward the purchase of our present MH

joncris

Free Member
Jan 11, 2011
Where it matters
Funster No
MH
Rimor Katamarano 12p +
Exp
Forgot to mention that when I spoke to our insurers informing them about VOSA they told me they wouldn't be registering as a write off

joncris

Free Member
Jan 11, 2011
Where it matters
Funster No
MH
Rimor Katamarano 12p +
Exp
If a vehicle was marked up as a total loss then you cannot reinsure it unless it has been recertified as to the repairs.

Sorry not correct. If its a write off/total loss yet only a class D as an uneconomical repair and provided its legally drivable you can still use it on the public highway

joncris

Free Member
Jan 11, 2011
Where it matters
Funster No
MH
Rimor Katamarano 12p +
Exp
Any one handy with repairs... might be a good buy... (y)

Broken Link Removed

Just read through again..... and seem`s the repairs have been done..

It does look like a nice van. I wonder how much it'll sell for?

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
What I meant by that was that If it has been written off as a ' too expensive to repair' by and insurance company, then you cannot get comprehensive ie damage repair insurance, to stop people claiming again for the damage as a scam. Third party insurance is not affected nor is the ability to drive again.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back