Heading for Spain soon? (1 Viewer)

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011

Just got back from a trip to Mallorca (Barcelona + ferry) and I would advise anyone heading for Spain to get a Sanef tag (y) and use the toll roads.

I allowed myself 4 days driving to get to Barcelona from home (Derby) - too long in Winter - it's cold in France (especially at night) and facilities for MH's were closed on all motorway services that I stopped at - so emptying waste and getting water would be a problem

Coming back I took 2 days - 500 miles a day - and enjoyed the trip more - apart from having to shell out £163 to use the shuttle one-way

1000 miles in 2 days - not bad for a 24 year old van !(y)

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).

Just got back from a trip to Mallorca (Barcelona + ferry) and I would advise anyone heading for Spain to get a Sanef tag (y) and use the toll roads.

I allowed myself 4 days driving to get to Barcelona from home (Derby) - too long in Winter - it's cold in France (especially at night) and facilities for MH's were closed on all motorway services that I stopped at - so emptying waste and getting water would be a problem

Coming back I took 2 days - 500 miles a day - and enjoyed the trip more - apart from having to shell out £163 to use the shuttle one-way

1000 miles in 2 days - not bad for a 24 year old van !(y)

Glad that you had a safe journey. (y)

Can I ask please, what your total toll charges were, (to and from) and what class of vehicle, ie, Class 2?

Cheers,

Jock.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
Well done Vic. How did you get on in Mallorca in the van? My understanding is there's not much infrastructure for MH's - and as ours is of the larger variety I can't very well 'hide it' but would love to do the island!

OP
OP
Barclaybasher
Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
Glad that you had a safe journey. (y)
Can I ask please, what your total toll charges were, (to and from) and what class of vehicle, ie, Class 2?

Thanks

Not had the bill for the French charges yet - will post when I get it - route down was Dieppe - Barcelona, way back was to Calais

Not all the motorways (autoroutes) are tolls anyway

French border to Barcelona was about 18 euros - tried the old coast road on the way down for a change - never again - nothing to see, endless sets of traffic lights

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Not all the motorways (autoroutes) are tolls anyway
No, I appreciate that thanks. (y)
French border to Barcelona was about 18 euros - tried the old coast road on the way down for a change - never again - nothing to see, endless sets of traffic lights
Thanks for that. Forewarned is forearmed. ;)

Cheers,

Jock.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
I can get from tunnel to benidorm with 2 overnights, one in France one northern Spain using westerly route and mainly N roads......can't be much in it in a camper, a sports car maybe. A friend regularity gets to Portugal in 3 nights..

Also avoid the Barcelona corridor from the border due to the bloody bandits...

More interested in the Majorca trip to be honest! Have toured round in a car before. Can you tell us more plse . I know the ferry supposed to be expensive as did look into it years ago.....

Dec 24, 2009
bedworth warks
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
2009 previously a tugger for thirty years
For us going via toll roads is a big no no. The drive to wherever is all part of the holiday and we both enjoy that. Agreed it can be cold in France this time of the year, that's why we have Gaslow bottles and heating in the van!

Don't like being cold.

rolandrat

Free Member
Jan 5, 2013
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
There aren't any aires or campsites on Majorca according to a friend of mine who has been recently for a number of weeks, he wild camped everywhere and was never moved on by the local bobbies.

OP
OP
Barclaybasher
Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
More interested in the Majorca trip to be honest! Have toured round in a car before. Can you tell us more plse . I know the ferry supposed to be expensive as did look into it years ago.....

There aren't many places to stay - aires - but more campers and MHs are going there and just seem to find a place to stay - this time there was even an unhitched caravan on a sea-front car park.

Ferry cost was £360 return - but much more 'in season' - best time to visit May/June - September/October - too hot July August

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back