Free Member
Jan 28, 2015
London
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
since 2006
I actually need some help. I purchased a small motorhome crossing in October 2014 with DFDS but when we got to the port we were told our ticket was incorrect and the height of our campervan had to be less than 2.35m to get the small motorhome ticket.
The height isn't shown on the ticket (just says small motorhome).
Anyway this cost us over 100% more, hours of stress and missing our original crossing.....but when we got back to the UK we checked their website and it says < 4.5m high for small motorhomes.
DFDS say they changed their website on January the 5th. Am I being had? Or did I make a mistake? Did anyone book a small motorhome crossing with DFDS over Christmas and the new year and get the same problem? Impossible for me to prove as I didn't screen print my booking but seems odd, how many motor homes are less than 2.35meters? Thanks for reading!

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
<4.5m doesn't sound right. That would be about the height of the upstairs windows on a two storey house and I've never seen a MH that high.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
This is what it says now.

Motorhome < 4.35m H x 7m L
Motorhome <4.35m H x 10m L

It used to be ;
Motorhome < 2.35m H x 7m L

& it also never said H (height ) & L ( length)
It's only at Dover that you used to get pulled as they have auto height check whereas at Dunkirk there is nothing & no one was interested.
If you booked before The change on 5th January then they should have honoured it.P. S I came back in October & it was still these 2;

Motorhome < 2.35m H x 7m L

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 28, 2007
Funster No
There have been a couple of cases of motorhomes being charged extra because of so called mistakes when booking, If it is causing problems then DFDS should look again at their website.

From what I have seen of their pricing policy lately it seems to me they don't want motorhomes anyway

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I actually need some help. I purchased a small motorhome crossing in October 2014 with DFDS but when we got to the port we were told our ticket was incorrect and the height of our campervan had to be less than 2.35m to get the small motorhome ticket.
The height isn't shown on the ticket (just says small motorhome).
Anyway this cost us over 100% more, hours of stress and missing our original crossing.....but when we got back to the UK we checked their website and it says < 4.5m high for small motorhomes.
DFDS say they changed their website on January the 5th. Am I being had? Or did I make a mistake? Did anyone book a small motorhome crossing with DFDS over Christmas and the new year and get the same problem? Impossible for me to prove as I didn't screen print my booking but seems odd, how many motor homes are less than 2.35meters? Thanks for reading!
From memory the height always used to be somewhere around the lower 2m range for 'smaller' mhs, so 2.35m high sounds about right. I can understand you being unhappy now it's been changed and you were charged more, but if you had booked it at the correct height in the first place it would still have cost you more then so wouldn't have made any difference to you anyway from what I can see.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Yep agree with Mel always been 2 heights for Motorhomes on DFDS, you probably just checked the wrong line on the drop down box.

Neckender

Free Member
Oct 15, 2007
Neckend or North Wales.
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1Kombi day Van
Exp
Since 2004
My last two motorhomes have been just under 3 metres high and just over 6 metres in length, I've booked as small motorhome and we cross the channel twice a year and the last time we towed a 4 x 3 trailer and booked it as a small trailer no problems at all with DFDS.

John.

bernardfeay

Free Member
Nov 18, 2009
Bolton
Funster No
MH
hymer exsis
Exp
10 years
My suspicion is that they won't give you a refund unless you play hardball. Here is my suggestion. "Dear DFDS, I made a booking in good faith after reading your height specifications. On arrival at the port I was charged an additional fee because your height requirement had changed. I appear to be running out of options. If you are unwilling to compensate me for the overcharge I see no other option than to litigate. Within my claim I will be able to document the experiences of others who are aware of your height specification changes. I will await your response for 14 days and if we are unable to resolve this matter I will instigate a proceedings in the small claims court."....... then do it.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
My suspicion is that they won't give you a refund unless you play hardball. Here is my suggestion. "Dear DFDS, I made a booking in good faith after reading your height specifications. On arrival at the port I was charged an additional fee because your height requirement had changed. I appear to be running out of options. If you are unwilling to compensate me for the overcharge I see no other option than to litigate. Within my claim I will be able to document the experiences of others who are aware of your height specification changes. I will await your response for 14 days and if we are unable to resolve this matter I will instigate a proceedings in the small claims court."....... then do it.

Change that 14 days to 7....BUSBY.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
This is what it shows now.

Screen shot 2015-02-03 at 08.37.55.png

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi.
The "7 Day",letter. Advice given by the Legal Eagle on the J.Y. Prog.Radio 2. some years ago on a problem ,i had a problem,remembered the advice and use it once and it worked for me,result.
Tea Bag..... "Whats the recipe today Jim ?" Golden days of yore

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
If the OP booked the crossing when they still had the height differentials, which was the case until recently, unfortunately they are within their rites to charge the extra.
Still won't do any harm to send a letter may get a result.

WAG2CRU

Free Member
May 31, 2012
Argyll
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654SL Star Edition
Exp
since2012
The requirement if you seriously intend to litigate is that you must be seen to be fair, whilst 7 days may seem reasonable to you and I, as I understand it 21 days is the norm for a required response.

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
This is what it shows now.
Yes, for Dover - Calais, but Newhaven - Dieppe has a much wider range of heights.

I don't think we know which route the OP took.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Yes, for Dover - Calais, but Newhaven - Dieppe has a much wider range of heights.

valid point @TheCaller Newhaven Dieppe must show as you go through the booking system as nothing on the first page.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Yep agree with Mel always been 2 heights for Motorhomes on DFDS, you probably just checked the wrong line on the drop down box.
There was 2 heights until they changed it & only one now.

True ,would be handy to know but the heights shown are
for Dover-Calais or Dunkirk.

OP
OP
D

Drama Queen

Free Member
Jan 28, 2015
London
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
since 2006
Thank you so much for all your responses. We crossed Dover to Dunkirk and I have been in contact with dfds. My concern is that two posts say it has changed and there was two heights so maybe I did make a mistake. Less than 2.35m did seem very low but I can't prove when the height changed. Thanks

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back