Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Newish PP scam mails..
The latest one is 'The credit card registered to your PayPal account has expired'
The beauty of this one is that they get your PayPal password, AND your credit card details ( complete with the security number ! )

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Of course it MAY have expired (mine did) but you're safe AS LONG AS you then access your PP account via the "usual channels" and not via any link in the email.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Had one a couple of days ago-

Your iTunes account has been temporary suspended please click here xxxxx to verify your details.

Unfortunately less savvy internet users do fall for these scams.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

nospamandy

Free Member
Apr 4, 2011
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Not yet - soon I hope
Exp
In my mind - forever
If it isn't addressed to you PERSONALLY. Bin it

I am not Dear User

Sep 24, 2013
Torbay, Devon
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 1992
got one today from "paypal" saying my card had expired and gave a link to pair the new card details I deleted it

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Got one yesterday from AOL saying my messaging (email) account was at its 1GB limit and no further messages could be loaded or sent.
further in the message it said i had used 99.999GB and was at the limit.

Click here to reset your account.

Obviously deleted then a couple of hours later got the same.....with a different sender id.

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
We keep getting e-mails from a drug company asking us to update the details of our recent order. Each time it is signed with a name. Unfortunately for them, I think they are computer generated as

a. No-one has names that stupid
b. With the number of different names signed on the e-mails the company must be bigger than Smith Klein

As we have never bought from them we simply ditch.

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
I had one from Paypal this morning saying my card had expired.

However it actually did expire on Jan 31, and the e-mail was addressed to me by name and quoted the last 4 digits of my old card.

Even so I still did not click on the link. I just logged in by the usual Paypal log in page and updated.

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
You can always tell if it is a scam. Click the link, it will take you to a log in, there enter rubbish details, if you get a successful log in you know it is a scam. If so, log in about 20 more times with different, but equally rubbish details. We need to flood these scammers with duff data!

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
Just ignore them or use them as a prompt to log in the normal way. some of these fake sites just want your username and password so will say invalid log in no matter what you type. That way you try to log in a few times and they get all your passwords ...

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
You can always tell if it is a scam. Click the link,
I have previously been warned not to click on the links, as that "might" cause my device to become infected by a virus.
I'm not sure how accurate that is, but it certainly seems plausible.

Fortunately my junk mail filters do their thing, as I never get these phishing emails in my inbox. (y)

Cheers,

Jock.

May 7, 2013
RUK
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On our 2nd MH now a AutoTrail Savannah which we're absolutely delighted with
Deleting these scam emails is not the best you should use the "block" function and at least you won't receive another from the same source

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
If it isn't addressed to you PERSONALLY. Bin it

I am not Dear User

Even if it is addressed to me, I bin them.

It's only an extra click to open a new window and go to whatever site they proport to be from.

I regard ALL messages advising me of similar as no more than 'Post it' notes for my information (and they get the same treatment as 'Post it' notes (other means of written communication are available.

Dec 24, 2009
bedworth warks
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
2009 previously a tugger for thirty years
I was reading only yesterday an interesting article on MSN about these spoof emails from Nigeria Paypal etc basically it said that they were so easy to spot with the duff language, spelling mistakes, etc that it is to help the scammers weed out the potential victims. Apparently it saves them time finding the really vulnerable!

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
You can always tell if it is a scam. Click the link, it will take you to a log in, there enter rubbish details, if you get a successful log in you know it is a scam. If so, log in about 20 more times with different, but equally rubbish details. We need to flood these scammers with duff data!
Unless you know what you are doing this is unwise. There is malware that can be installed without you having to do anything other than visit a dodgy site. It's called a driveby install.

They will not sit there typing in the duff data into paypal because after they have typed so many in paypal will block their IP. They will use automated software running on a botnet to try automatically from many different IP's and only the successful ones will be reported back to the scammer.

Messing with fraudsters like this used to be a fun pass time but they got wise to it and it is all automated now.

I have previously been warned not to click on the links, as that "might" cause my device to become infected by a virus.
I'm not sure how accurate that is, but it certainly seems plausible.

Absolutely correct Jock.

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Sorry, yes, should have said, only click if you know how to get rid of the rubbish that will be installed.
I always use a virtual pc for this exact purpose (y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back