Free Member
Oct 8, 2007
Kent
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since 2007
When we purchsed the RV we were told we could expect the fuel consumption to be in the region of 12 mpg. Can you believe the glee when after a years driving and carefully logging distance and fuel we find that we're at 14.65mpg ::bigsmile: Happy!

On a more serious note, we've been looking into an LPG conversion for main land European touring, given the current € exchange rate, however it would need 21,500 miles before it paid for itself! So we're sticking with petrol and the Eurotunnel. :Smile:

Might well reconsider at some point in the future though so that we have a choice of fuel type that we can use.

Mick

nozzel

Free Member
Apr 6, 2008
Birmingham West Midlands
Funster No
MH
C Class & RV US
Exp
43 years
Hi, When making enq's (afew days ago) into lpg for a UK motor home in the reply email was 'Is it an American engine with a 5.25" flange, by any chance?. If thats of any help to you, I'll send the dealers info.
Regards Nozzel

Last edited:

Tiderus

Free Member
May 2, 2008
Tywyn, West Wales
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Twelve years
When we purchsed the RV we were told we could expect the fuel consumption to be in the region of 12 mpg. Can you believe the glee when after a years driving and carefully logging distance and fuel we find that we're at 14.65mpg ::bigsmile: Happy!

On a more serious note, we've been looking into an LPG conversion for main land European touring, given the current € exchange rate, however it would need 21,500 miles before it paid for itself! So we're sticking with petrol and the Eurotunnel. :Smile:

Might well reconsider at some point in the future though so that we have a choice of fuel type that we can use.

Mick

Hi Mick, I had a 6.5 diesel Allegro a few years back which normally did 15 mpg, when it developed a fault. The book of words said, the lit warning light meant switching to get you home mode. This meant hardly any rev's. So as I was just putting it up for sale at the time, I took it down south a couple of hundred miles to get it fixed. As usual I did an accurate mpg check only to find it did dead on 30 mpg. From this I deduced that the best economizer is a block of wood under the throttle, and also the cheapest. Tiderus

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Not a Ford V10 per chance:thumb:
I came to exactly the same conclusion
The only way to go LPG economicaly is buy one already converted:thumb:
Geo

Last edited:

hereford bull

Free Member
Jan 18, 2008
HEREFORD
Funster No
MH
A CLASS
Exp
6 YRS
I had a 7-4 petrol chevy on a 7-5 ton m/home the dealer told me with steady driving i could achieve 17 mpg when i got it home in the service folder was a manufactures video when i played it it said with sensible driving that model could achieve 9mpg .oh dont i love em

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I had a 7-4 petrol chevy on a 7-5 ton m/home the dealer told me with steady driving i could achieve 17 mpg when i got it home in the service folder was a manufactures video when i played it it said with sensible driving that model could achieve 9mpg .oh dont i love em

you forgot to take account of the US gallon being about 6 and 1/2 imp pints and a US mile is the same as ours so that'll take you to about 11/12 mpg...:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

muz

Free Member
Nov 15, 2007
eastwood notts
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
10 years
lpg

had my hurricane fitted with lpg from new on average it does 10mpg with a mercedes vaneo on tow with my electric wheelchair in the merc,with lpg even last summer when fuel prices were very high it [lpg] was still under half price so i am dead chuffed because money wise thats 20mpg.i love the power and the smooth running v8 8.1ltr engine.i would recomend lpg to everyone its so easy. MUZ

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
had my hurricane fitted with lpg from new on average it does 10mpg with a mercedes vaneo on tow with my electric wheelchair in the merc,with lpg even last summer when fuel prices were very high it [lpg] was still under half price so i am dead chuffed because money wise thats 20mpg.i love the power and the smooth running v8 8.1ltr engine.i would recomend lpg to everyone its so easy. MUZ
I know we all agree with you Muz and would love LPG but as Mick said in his post pay back is far too many miles, as I understand it,s about £3000-£3500 to convert these V10 Beasties thats an awfull lot of juice
It wasn't a guess Ive been tellin folk for about 3 years the V10 averages 14-15 and just get scoffed at:cry:
so thanks for the confirmation Mick:RollEyes:
Geo

L

Lindy-C

Deleted User
I know we all agree with you Muz and would love LPG but as Mick said in his post pay back is far too many miles, as I understand it,s about £3000-£3500 to convert these V10 Beasties thats an awfull lot of juice
It wasn't a guess Ive been tellin folk for about 3 years the V10 averages 14-15 and just get scoffed at:cry:
so thanks for the confirmation Mick:RollEyes:
Geo

You aren't alone there Geo - we have had the same reaction at shows from those who "know it all" when we have given similar figures on lightweight C Class V10s.
Remember that little 24 footer we had with a slideout? That was a veritable flying machine and cruised happily doing 14.5mpg. Some smart*** at Stratford took great delight shouting amongst his friends that it would do 10 "if we were lucky".

Thanks for the confirmation Mick, just goes to show, we weren't lying after all! :winky:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
We had been told that our engine returns about 8mpg on a good day. We are 34ft, 11ton 2 x 12 ft slides, always overloaded (probably) tow a small trailer and last year for the first time ever we decided to see what we were getting from our 8.1L Petrol Chevvy over a mixture of roads on a trip over of just over 2000 miles.

We got 9.9 mpg and were delighted, maybe a lot of the figures we see for RVs are for US gallons

Brian and Jo

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 24, 2007
oswestry,shropshire
Funster No
MH
A-Class N+B Arto 88F
Exp
Been motorhoming for 15yrs.had an American RV for 7yrs,Now got a Niesmann Bischoff Arto 88F
hi guys,me and jo have a four winds dorado with a ford 6.8 v10 and we reckon we are getting somewhere in the region of 14 or 15 mpg.we bought the rv with the lpg conversion already on.:thumb:

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
Wished i had a V10 by the looks of it:Doh::cry::cry::cry::cry:

Thank gawd its on LPG:Smile:and V10 even better:thumb:

Jan Pendreigh

Free Member
Feb 23, 2008
Funster No
Our Damon Daybreak (derv) towing the car on a trailer is averaging 14.5mpg.

On this subject, can anyone tell me why, when the Americans measure in miles, the odometer is in ks?

Jan

L

Lindy-C

Deleted User
Perhaps your RV was built for the Canadian market Jan, I believe their speed limits are in KPH.

ehuplad

Free Member
Feb 9, 2009
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Hobby 600
Exp
Can only seem to get 7.33 mpg on Gas V8 8.1lt, Hoping it will improve with a few more miles on the clock.

Or maybe i should not wear my steel toe cap boots when driving :winky::winky:

Aug 9, 2008
Lanner - Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class RV
Exp
20 + Years

Mick

Hi Mick,

Had my Rexhall converted last year for £2100 which consisted of 2 X 90 Litre cylindrical tanks which fitted into the two oppossite rear lockers, I could do with one more but I havent the room for it. I do a round trip of 400 miles on a 3-4 week interval. Because of the hilly nature of my route I dont quite make the round trip. You only get around 160 Litres per fill up at about 51p perlitre which equates to £81.60 against petrol of around £144. So in about 2 1/2 years it will have paid for its self. Plus you get a better result at the MOT.

Regards

Brian

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back