Toll roads/classes and MH heights (1 Viewer)

Jon and Debs

Free Member
Jan 13, 2015
Great Dunmow Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Newbie Jan 2015
Hi everyone, we are new to Motorhoming although caravanners for over 20 years before the kids grew up. We have just bought a MH and are planning to go over to France this spring. On doing some research it appears that the toll roads ''class'' vehicles on weights/heights etc. Our MH is 3.300 tonnes and 3010mm high. Just 10mm or 1/2 inch over the 3m height quoted as the max for a class 2 vehicle. We also have a stub aerial that will make it a few cms higher than this.

Can you advise, will we pass as a class 2 vehicle and are there any physical height barriers. Do we have to register as a class 3 vehicle. Are the pleage barriers at the toll specific to the class of vehicle? I am a bit unsure how this all works. Would be most grateful for any advice please.

Many thanks

Jon

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
There are height barriers on some of the gates where cars only go through so you will have to avoid them but there is always one for high vehicles. The weight is not a problem but it depends how accurate the height measuring gadget is. You may well be charged at class 3.
Unless you are in a hurry avoid the tolls as they are expensive in France.

Mike

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
On the automatic toll barriers we are over three metres high and often get charged class 3. Sometimes using my extremely poor French we get away with class two.

Manual tolls they always ask and we almost always get class two.

Lot of difference in cost when we don't :(

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Press the intercom if you get classified as Class 3.
Simply say "Bonjour Monsieur/Madame, nous avons une camping car. Est le tariff correct?"
We are 3850 km, 7 metres long and 3.2 metres high with the sat dome and it works for us! Class 2 every time!

SUGGY

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 23, 2011
scunthorpe
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
As above . Press button and just say bonjour camping car . We paid less than 20 euro from calais to Algecirias in Spain :devil:

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Mine is 4250kg and a highline Autotrail so above 3mtr..
Only ever been charged class 2... :)

know a few do get stung but so far so good...

OP
OP
Jon and Debs

Jon and Debs

Free Member
Jan 13, 2015
Great Dunmow Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Newbie Jan 2015
Hi everyone, thanks for the advice , excellent and so quick. Much appreciated.

Really looking forward to getting going so any other French tips that you can provide would be fantastic.

Best Regards

Jon

Mar 3, 2013
Poole
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Press the intercom if you get classified as Class 3.
Simply say "Bonjour Monsieur/Madame, nous avons une camping car. Est le tariff correct?"
We are 3850 km, 7 metres long and 3.2 metres high with the sat dome and it works for us! Class 2 every time!

Sadly doesn't always work. Tried it but to no avail. We tend to stick to the A roads, often quiet and very scenic too.

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
Mine is 4250kg and a highline Autotrail so above 3mtr..
Only ever been charged class 2... :)

know a few do get stung but so far so good...

I wish there was a lucky devil tab! ;)

We also have a Autotrail with a Sat dome and whilst I have not counted I suspect it would be class 3/ class 2 - about 50/50 :(

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
Hi everyone, thanks for the advice , excellent and so quick. Much appreciated.

Really looking forward to getting going so any other French tips that you can provide would be fantastic.

Best Regards

Jon

Drive on the right! Seriously though, do you want to rush somewhere? I travelled to Central France on old National and D roads. The Nationals invariably run alongside the toll roads and are the old main road so are usually wide and open, The D roads are often straight and empty. Fancy a cuppa? You are in a MH, just stop and brew. Not like when tugging a caravan and ideally need to get there and get pitched. Took me a while to adjust but got the hang of it now. Usually a maximum of 100 to 150 miles a day then get parked up by mid-afternoon.

Get some maps and ALL THE AIRES

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
we do our very best to avoid tolls, but used the new section from Bordeaux to Spain this year and got robbed by the toll booths, although we did successfully buzzer appeal 2 and got reduced from class 3 to 2, although apparently at 5T, 8m and 3.3m inc dome, we are class 3

Even more reason to avoid in future, but with retirement comes less money but more time, so who needs to hurry (any more at least) leave that to those still in work with less time but more money (y)

Last edited:

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
we do our very best to avoid tolls, but used the new section from Bordeaux to Spain this year and got robbed by the toll

I use toll's very rare but this particular one is hard to avoid. !!!
We often use the Someport tunnel if heading for Benidorm area but if your heading for the border at Irun then this new section is hard to avoid with no main N road running alongside. :(

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
The Bessie used to be 3, 5cm high and yes the laser on the auto tolls used to tell the machine to charge us Class 3, so press the button on the machine to speak to the operator - it's pronounced 'compin' by the way in French! (not cAmping)LOL

The only place where this does not work ins on the whatever it is from Calais at the Abbeville toll - nobody answers the button. So you pay class 3 but make sure you pay by card and push the button to get a receipt. Pull off from the booth and turn immediately right into the carpark at the side of the building there. Go into the building, there's a glass window with nobody there. so knock loudly on it, don't be too impatient - the girl will come, hand her the receipt, say the 'Compin car' bit and motion to where yours is parked outside. She will ask you for your card and go away, come back with an 'Annulement' - cancellation slip, and a new receipt for the correct amount.

Or just say Sod it, cough up and look happy and drive on.

She used to greet us as mates after 3 years doing that !

Deleted User
HGV or bus with two axles
On the A14, all two-axle buses are in category 4
classe03_01.gif

classe03_02.gif

classe03_03.gif

classe03_04.gif

• - Vehicle with overall height of 3 metres or more
  • - Vehicle with GVW of more than 3.5 tonnes

The bottom pic looks very similar to a motorhome to me.

Shame on all of you attempting to deprive the poor autoroute operators of their revenue!!::bigsmile:

OP
OP
Jon and Debs

Jon and Debs

Free Member
Jan 13, 2015
Great Dunmow Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Newbie Jan 2015
Thanks for the good advice. I was considering whether it was worth getting an account with one of the concessionnaires but I think I am picking up the thread that if you auto pay you will be charged what the machine calculates your vehicle to be. Whereas if you pay at the toll booth you can check and challenge it?
I notice that some of the concessionnaires is it Alis offer discounts for seniors etc. are these deals worth considering?
I take the point made about the difference between the caravan and the mh i.e. with the caravan you want to get there and set up whereas the point of the MH is to enjoy taking the time so enjoy the non motorway routes where you can view the country and pull over whenever you want. very good point well made i think.

Thanks again for the responses. Regards to all.

Jon

jaykay

Free Member
Aug 19, 2011
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 997M Auto
Exp
Virtually none ! :)
I have been looking at getting a sanef liber-t tag for the tolls as the previous owner of our mh had one.

When I read the details it says they can only be used on vehicles up to 3.5t even though the previous owner used one.
Has anyone used one on a mh over 3.5t?

TeeCee

Free Member
Jan 24, 2015
romford, essex
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-4
Exp
Since 2011
Came to this thread for help and advice re my forthcoming trip through France....but.....now more confused than ever after reading all previous comments and I am now considering a visit to a shrink!
So....what would you do if your van was.....
7.5 metres long
2.99 metres high
3,850 kg GVW
NOT Tag axle

a) Pay cash as you go and try and blag as Class 2?
b) Buy a LIBER-T tag as if you were under 3.5t and hope for the best?
c) Buy a TIS-PL tag for vehicles over 3.5t and just pay up?
d) Stay in the UK?

I REALLY would appreciate your advice!

jaykay

Free Member
Aug 19, 2011
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 997M Auto
Exp
Virtually none ! :)
Came to this thread for help and advice re my forthcoming trip through France....but.....now more confused than ever after reading all previous comments and I am now considering a visit to a shrink!
7.5 metres long
2.99 metres high
3,850 kg GVW
NOT Tag axle

d) Stay in the UK?

Me too, looking forward to the replies! :)

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
If I were in your position, I would pay as you go and try to persuade the booth operators to allow you through as class 2 - but if not, just smile and pay.
In fact we never use peage autoroutes - prefer to amble along on the D roads (and occasional N roads where they still exist - many have been reclassified as D). There are thousands of kilometres of good standard roads in France, including dual carriageways.
Now in Italy it is a different matter. If you need to cover serious distances it is worth paying for the (fairly cheap) autoroutes to avoid the appalling 'A-Road' surfaces and to get to your destination before the next millennium!

Soozywoozy

Free Member
Feb 18, 2014
Oxfordshire - edge of the cotswolds
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 704SL
Exp
2014, 2 motorhomes
We budget for a class 3, but have always been charged classe 2
It you haven't got much time for your holidays, use the tolls, if you have time on your hands mix and match. Also depends where you are going - if going to germany, travel through belgium and Luxembourg

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
7.5 metres long
2.99 metres high
3,850 kg GVW
NOT Tag axle

d) Stay in the UK?

Go to France but don't use the Autoroutes, that's what we do.:)

TeeCee

Free Member
Jan 24, 2015
romford, essex
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 79-4
Exp
Since 2011
Thanks chaps.......your comments are much appreciated. Taking account of responses so far I think I'll try and only use toll roads when either no other option or need to get a move on and when I do wing it and pay cash masquerading as Class 2.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back