Brian and Jo

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 24, 2007
oswestry,shropshire
Funster No
MH
A-Class N+B Arto 88F
Exp
Been motorhoming for 15yrs.had an American RV for 7yrs,Now got a Niesmann Bischoff Arto 88F
(y)hi guys just curious to know really,how many members have tag axle motorhomes:)
Brian & Jo

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
We do and love it only 25ft (7.6m) long, short overhang massive payload best van we've ever owned.

Went to a music festival last summer with 9 funster vans 5 were tags.

ASel

Free Member
Oct 23, 2013
Gretna
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Had 1 got rid of it as traction very poor. Could not set off at a T junction going uphill, just got wheel spin and this was in the dry.

Could not get traction on wet grass on the flat.

Now got RWD twin wheels never had a traction problem.

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Had 1 got rid of it as traction very poor. Could not set off at a T junction going uphill, just got wheel spin and this was in the dry.

Could not get traction on wet grass on the flat.

Now got RWD twin wheels never had a traction problem.

How very strange never had any traction problems with ours.:rolleyes:
Use M+ S tyres all year around wild camp, park on grass even when wet, use it in the Alps in winter, if snow really bad will put chains on but always surprised where it will go.:cool:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 5, 2013
Dordogne, france
Funster No
MH
Rapido 696FF
Exp
since 2013
We have a Kon-Tiki 669, tow a Smart car on a trailer and never had any problems as yet. Traction is fine, and the length has not caused any major issues on sites. 8.57m The trailer adds another 3 metres.
Had the Iveco 3 litre engine re-mapped to 200bhp, tramps on at silly speeds if you want it to, but the low end torque is why I had it done............and before all you guys criticise me for not saving the planet, it still does about 25 - 28mpg! :)

Soaringman

Free Member
Jan 24, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
March 2012
Us too
image.jpg

Jun 6, 2012
Leeds
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2012
Dethleffs Esprit I7850 8.5m long tag axle and tow either a smart car or toyota IQ on trailer and never had any problems with wheel spin (apart from very wet grass on an incline)

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Us too with our older Hymer E690, coming in at 7.97 mteres, uprated to 5T.

We've had "her" 10 years this May, and absolutely love "her". ;)
Fuel consumption is 22/23mpg here in the UK, and 25 mpg consistently, when bimbling about France or Germany in tourist mode. (y)

Since using Bridgestone Blizzak winter tyres on the driving wheels all year round, we no longer have traction problems on wet painted slippery surfaces, or on grass, ice or snow.

Cheers,

Jock. :)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Class 4 on Toll Autoroutes ?... could work out expensive ..

http://www.autoroutes.fr/en/vehicle-classification.htm

Never owned one so cannot comment on the practicalities.. other than to say I've watched a few Tags tear up the turf on sites when turning..

Personally , if I wanted that kind of payload would prefer rear wheel drive with double wheels.. but appreciate that there is a bigger choice of vans with tag axles.

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp

Never owned one so cannot comment on the practicalities.. other than to say I've watched a few Tags tear up the turf on sites when turning..

Personally , if I wanted that kind of payload would prefer rear wheel drive with double wheels.. but appreciate that there is a bigger choice of vans with tag axles.

Sorry Jim but you're wrong Class 2 unless its over 3 metres high. In nearly 5 years touring allover Europe never been charged more than Class 2. However I know someone with a Carthargo that is charged Class 4 it is shorter than my van but higher.

Soaringman

Free Member
Jan 24, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
March 2012
This was our first van, and although we had spent a couple of years tentatively looking, and after hiring a few vans, we knew what layout we wanted.
We had not thought about payload at all, it was only after joining this forum I realised what a problem that is with a lot of vans.
So it was pure luck that we ended up with a van with enough payload to satisfy swmbo :clap2::imoutahere:

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp

Totally right and that's why we ended up with a tag.
We had decided to get out of RVs so were looking for a replacement for 6 months and I was determined it would be rear wheel drive. Reason because I'd read all the horror stories about how bad FWD was and all the problems with Fiat (usually written by people who never owned one) and without ever trying one I'd made up my mind. Unfortunately after spending 6 months looking and driving several thousand miles up and down the country I was no further ahead. The vans we looked at were either too high too expensive or as was the most common case had the wrong layout for us, usually longitudinal beds resulting in a horrible small lounging area or circular seating with a table the size of a football pitch.
So it was a case of either give up motorhoming or compromise on our layout which would ruin the experience or look at FWD, we'd already seen Jocks van and really liked it so decided to explore that idea. Hey Presto suddenly there were several vans which suited us, right layout right height massive payload and fully winterised. With some trepidation we parted with our hard earned and bought the B694 tag axle Hymer at 8 years old with 12000 miles on the clock terrified we'd made a big mistake and for the first 6 months were paranoid about wet grass steep slopes etc etc.
Four and a half years later we've toured all over Europe and UK done 50'000 miles spent weeks in the Alps at 10'000 feet with no hook up at minus 20 and lower. Been to race circuits, music festivals, beaches and wildcamped and never had the slightest issue except the one I caused by having it remapped. Have we ever been stuck no not yet (touch wood) and nowadays we worry a lot less about where we park. Would I prefer RWD now well yes of course I would but I wouldn't compromise my priorities just to have RWD as the benefits are minuscule and really not worth consideration.
We all know layout is the most important thing to get maximum pleasure from your van and this van has given and still gives maximum pleasure and as is undoubtedly the best van we've ever owned. (y)(y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back