We're not going to Spain now ... (1 Viewer)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
... well not until 12 days later that is! :X3:

Due to go 11th Feb for 6 weeks but have decided to delay it so won't now go until 23rd Feb but still for 6 weeks. Various reasons, one of which being that hubby wants to be in Spain/Portugal when it's hopefully a little bit warmer so less of Feb and more of March (he's just being a wimp ... especially since it's ME who feels the cold! :rolleyes:).

Fortunately I can change the Eurotunnel crossing with no admin fee and just pay for the extra cost for the 'tickets' themselves, about £11 so not a major issue. Will still get back for my my Mum's 90th birthday (2 days afterwards) so although she says she's not bothered I'm sure I'd never hear the end of it ... strict instructions from her though - no party, no flowers, no presents - she just wants a nice trip out to the seaside and some fish an chips! Also means we'll have just under 2 weeks to get the washing done and the van cleaned/sorted before going to the Peterborough show. :D

Still not sure whether to just head directly for Spain or take a right turn to Portugal ... any suggestions for a first time 'winter' traveller to these foreign parts? Don't do campsites but like nice quiet areas, beaches especially but also lovely scenery.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
This time of year we always rushed down (to get the weather) and meandered back. Not long now, its the 1st tomorrow already. Have a good trip (y)

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Never been abroad in the MH but I'm sure whatever route you take the weather will be better than it is here. Have fun and enjoy.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
We are going in April and planning to turn right when we get off the ferry at Santander and explore along the north coast but I am still a bit worried even April will be a little early! In February I would go straight south I think. You can but keep flexible, look at the weather forecast and decide as you drive down through France. That's more or less what we did last September.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
We are going in April and planning to turn right when we get off the ferry at Santander and explore along the north coast but I am still a bit worried even April will be a little early! In February I would go straight south I think. You can but keep flexible, look at the weather forecast and decide as you drive down through France. That's more or less what we did last September.

April most definitely a bit early for North Coast. If your intention to go south as well, I would do that and visit North Coast on return leg......

Mel I think your doing The right thing as while day time temps OK cool evenings don't for us a holiday make!

Scattycat

Free Member
Jan 3, 2013
Mayenne, France
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
Since 2010
We've been checking weather forecasts for Spain and Portugal over the past few weeks and it's been in the 20's although I must say the forecast for the next week or so is not as good but probably still at least 10 degrees warmer than where you are now

Now we have the house/animal sitting folks installed we'll be meandering south in a couple of days.

The weather is usually still pretty changeable and even worse than here until we get over the border but hey, that golden globe in the sky is one hell of a magnet. . . . . . Benicarlo and places south here we come!

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Since 2011, previously a tugger
Will still get back for my my Mum's 90th birthday (2 days afterwards) so although she says she's not bothered I'm sure I'd never hear the end of it ... strict instructions from her though - no party, no flowers, no presents - she just wants a nice trip out to the seaside. :D

Still not sure whether to just head directly for Spain or take a right turn to Portugal ... any suggestions for a first time 'winter' traveller to these foreign parts?

Had to laugh when I read your post...my mum will be 93 in May, just the same though no fuss, not to waste money on her in any way...but woe betide me if I didn't o_O

We are heading off end of the month, the same about destination; only been down to Spain the one time in 2013 and we loved meandering along the Med coast, we got down as far as Javea where we dropped anchor for the last few weeks. Our first time and we loved it! Would have gone last year but some health issues prevented us :(

We're now tempted to almost repeat the same and visit those places we loved, but also thinking we should try something different, hence Portugal also on our list of possibilities! :love::confused::giggle:

Have fun!

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
... well not until 12 days later that is! :X3:

Due to go 11th Feb for 6 weeks but have decided to delay it so won't now go until 23rd Feb but still for 6 weeks. Various reasons, one of which being that hubby wants to be in Spain/Portugal when it's hopefully a little bit warmer so less of Feb and more of March (he's just being a wimp ... especially since it's ME who feels the cold! :rolleyes:).

Fortunately I can change the Eurotunnel crossing with no admin fee and just pay for the extra cost for the 'tickets' themselves, about £11 so not a major issue. Will still get back for my my Mum's 90th birthday (2 days afterwards) so although she says she's not bothered I'm sure I'd never hear the end of it ... strict instructions from her though - no party, no flowers, no presents - she just wants a nice trip out to the seaside and some fish an chips! Also means we'll have just under 2 weeks to get the washing done and the van cleaned/sorted before going to the Peterborough show. :D

Still not sure whether to just head directly for Spain or take a right turn to Portugal ... any suggestions for a first time 'winter' traveller to these foreign parts? Don't do campsites but like nice quiet areas, beaches especially but also lovely scenery.

Many Camper Stops in Portugal now, some in secluded areas which may suit you. We are currently on one not far from Guia in the Algarve surrounded by Lemon & Orange groves. It's run by a Belgium couple & here it's not busy as they are still expanding it, it's called Mikki's, more info on another thread HERE

For a Google map of many aires and Camper Stops try a click on my signature to take you to the recommended aires map. New ones are starting up in Portugal all the time, and I add to the map as we find them.

You don't often get quiet beaches on the Algarve at this time of the year, unless you stay on the West coast of Portugal, as there are LOTS of MH here now.

brynric

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2009
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Pilote G600
Exp
We're not going to Spain this year due to a combination of first grandchild due and elderly parents needing more help, ( the sandwich generation!).
We have a choice between looking out of the window at grey skies and slushy snow or gazing at the pictures of bright blue skies with Calpe Rock in the background exactly 1 year ago to the minute.
Ah well, next year?

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
We spent Dec to March in Portugal last year and then drove back to Calais. The weather hadn't been all that good, though we were in short sleeves a lot of the time in the main I had to stick a cardi on to go out. It was just getting 'nice' as we drove back but on the way we met some people we had met 9 months earlier on the aire at Cap Breton as they we starting out towards Spain and they'd been on the aire at Calpe for the weeks previously and were both as brown as berries. I was cussing but when you run out of prescription medication and have hospital appointments you are a bit stuffed.

So anyway - I would have thought you'd do alright in March but it appears to me that that part of S. Spain is actually warmer than the Algarve in winter anyway.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
t hubby wants to be in Spain/Portugal when it's hopefully a little bit warmer.

He is, of course, absolutely right. Feb is their winter month. We did Feb once, nice some of the time, cold others. Portugal is the Atlantic side, that's why the FUNsters head for Benidorm coast then wander home the other side.

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I've now changed the crossing with ET and we have decided to go for 44 days, rather than 39, so a bit more into April ... this means we will run the risk of incurring the 'wrath' of my Mum now as we won't be back until AFTER her birthday ... :whistle:

She did say she's not bothered AND she's been telling me to go away over the Easter weekend anyway for a break which is when her birthday falls ... so I'm just being a good daughter and doing as I'm told! :D ... haven't told her yet though! :eek:

The suggestion to go south first and then tootle back up makes sense seeing as the further down we go the warmer it should be, it also means that we can decide when we're there whether to bother with Portugal too or leave it for another time.(y)

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
Who. The mum or insurance?
Because the insurance people can find out by ferry crossing times I'm sure?

Dec 27, 2014
Funster No
I've now changed the crossing with ET and we have decided to go for 44 days, rather than 39, so a bit more into April
You little Minx.
Not jealous, honest :smoke:
Enjoy the trip, agree on getting South early.

Jack Russel

Free Member
Feb 16, 2013
Stockport
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
We were planning to go in September gradually going south as it got colder. Now thinking of having a month in June this year then going for longer next spring. Will his boss give him a month off and keep his job open?
Haven't told my Mum yet either

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Simples....change insurer.
Yes an option and we had 60 days on a previous policy when we did a 47 day holiday which is the longest we'd probably go for so we couldn't see the point of paying a higher premium for a 60 day policy which the chances were that we'd never use, so plumped for the 45 day one. It will also still give us a week to get sorted before we tootle off to Peterborough show ... so we can hopefully show of our sun tans!:D

OP
OP
Minxy

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Agree, if there was a problem whilst away, even if it was reported before you returned home, I'm sure they'd use your 'official' crossing dates to try to riddle out of paying up! Not worth the risk.

Aug 31, 2009
Lot-et-Garonne, France
Funster No
MH
Changing
Exp
15 Years
We are heading south in 2 weeks 2 days and about 14 hrs (I'm not counting down). Cross Newhaven Dieppe, 3 ish days through France, stop at L'Estartit (camping les Medes, NE Spain, lovely site). Sniff the sea air there, if warm , stay a bit, if not, move further South. Simple.

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Since 2011, previously a tugger
We are heading south in 2 weeks 2 days and about 14 hrs (I'm not counting down). Cross Newhaven Dieppe, 3 ish days through France, stop at L'Estartit (camping les Medes, NE Spain, lovely site). Sniff the sea air there, if warm , stay a bit, if not, move further South. Simple.

Have a good trip Peter, we're heading down week of 23 Feb (not booked yet), might see you there!

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970

What would make them think you had been on a ferry? Do not think passenger information would be available to any one. BUSBY.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back