MOT Station near Portsmouth Harbour (1 Viewer)

Bica

Free Member
May 13, 2014
Wymondham
Funster No
MH
Panel Van Conversion
Exp
A previous thread has reminded me that we arrive back in Portsmouth approx. 17:30 on a Friday. The van will need an MOT. I was going to drive back to Norfolk with an MOT booked for the next day. Not a good idea. Does anyone have an address of an MOT station close to the Port (preferably that is open on Saturdays) By the way it's Friday 13th so I don't want to tempt fate.
An added complication - I ordered the van in December 2011 and collected it with a personal number plate in March 2012 (23rd in fact) and the 12 months tax ran out at the end of March 2013 so I assumed that the first MOT would be needed March 2015. Today I was looking at the V5 and it states first registered Sept 2011. Does this mean it should have had its first MOT 4 months ago? The van is a 12 plate - We had a problem with the original V5 as it stated it was white so I had to send photos of the VIN plate and the van to prove it was grey.

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Bica,
If all the above is accurate, it seems to me that someone has been economical with the truth where you bought the van.
It would seem that BEFORE you collected it, someone Registered it and did so, it would appear, even before you first negotiated the deal in Dec. 2011.
Does the V5 have you down as the first keeper of the 'van or second.
If you are No.2 then they sold you a preregistered 'van.
If you are down as Keeper No.1 then it couldn't have been Registered in September 2011 as you hadn't clapped eyes on it that time.

A little bit more digging for you to do before an accurate answer could be given but, from what you have provided it would seem that you are driving around with a vehicle that is without an MOT (Reg. Sept 2011, should have had MOT Sept. 2014).

Last edited:

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Hi Larby,
It would seem he hasn't got an MOT. OP picked up the 'van in March 12. Even stranger is that the OP says the V5 shows 'First Reg. in September 2011 but the 'van is on an original 12 Plate albeit showing a Personalised plate.

OP
OP
Bica

Bica

Free Member
May 13, 2014
Wymondham
Funster No
MH
Panel Van Conversion
Exp
Bica,
If all the above is accurate, it seems to me that someone has been economical with the truth where you bought the van.
It would seem that BEFORE you collected it, someone Registered it and did so, it would appear, even before you first negotiated the deal in Dec. 2011.
Does the V5 have you down as the first keeper of the 'van or second.
If you are No.2 then they sold you a preregistered 'van.
If you are down as Keeper No.1 then it couldn't have been Registered in September 2011 as you hadn't clapped eyes on it that time.

A little bit more digging for you to do before an accurate answer could be given but, from what you have provided it would seem that you are driving around with a vehicle that is without an MOT (Reg. Sept 2011, should have had MOT Sept. 2014).

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Bica

Bica

Free Member
May 13, 2014
Wymondham
Funster No
MH
Panel Van Conversion
Exp
Have just looked at the V5 Para 2 states Previous registered keeper none. Para 3 states Special notes 1 Declared new at first registration.
Could it be that the colour was not the only error on the original V5?

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
when I had my business I used copnor bridge garage I fund them very good firm but fare
I had both my vehicles serviced there when I was working in the RN dockyard
bill
Copnor Bridge mot center
Unit 2, Copnor Bridge Business Centre, Copnor, Portsmouth, Hampshire, PO3 6AP
023 9200 1879

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Bica,
Can I suggest that, as a matter of urgency, you take a copy of your V5. Then send the original to Swansea.
It is evident that there have been mistakes made on this document to your detriment.
If your vehicle was first Registered to you in March 2012,you are the First Keeper and the vehicle was originally registered on a 12 Plate, then you need to get the V5 changed to reflect this.
Otherwise you could be sitting in/on a whole can of worms every time you drive it.
(With apologies for calling your pride and joy a worm!!!)

OP
OP
Bica

Bica

Free Member
May 13, 2014
Wymondham
Funster No
MH
Panel Van Conversion
Exp
Thanks I'm working on it will probably fix an MOT appointment at Copnor Bidge to be on the safe side. Will just have to be a good boy driving from the Algarve to Santander, I have a co[py of the V5 with me in Portugal I always copy all travel docs, passports etc when I am away

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
If your tax ran out at the end of March 2013 does that mean you have driving uninsured since then? UK polices normally say something like, must be taxed and road legal in the UK for the insurance to be valid when abroad.

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
If your tax ran out at the end of March 2013 does that mean you have driving uninsured since then? UK polices normally say something like, must be taxed and road legal in the UK for the insurance to be valid when abroad.

If the vehicle is Insured with a Certificate it is insured, |End of.
As per a previous comment on another thread Insurance Companies cannot remove Insurance just because you may, or may not be MOTed.
What they do say is that the driver should be licensed or "not disqualified from holding or obtaining a licence for that class of vehicle" (words in inverted comma's V. Important). Even that does not remove the Insurance provided that the driver is NOT disqualifed

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
As per a previous comment on another thread Insurance Companies cannot remove Insurance just because you may, or may not be MOTed.
What they do say is that the driver should be licensed or "not disqualified from holding or obtaining a licence for that class of vehicle" (words in inverted comma's V. Important). Even that does not remove the Insurance provided that the driver is NOT disqualifed

I think you are clinging to threads there . An insurance company will declare the insurance void if the vehicle is not road legal . They need no excuse for a get out .
After hearing from someone there are vans on the roads of Europe on a SORN I would suggest they read the DVLA rules for SORN. Just don't hit me in your illegal vehicle please .

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp

Not quite right they can't not remove Third Party insurance, but if the conditions of the policy say your vehicle must be legal in UK i.e. Road Tax & MOT they can reduce your cover the Third Party. If you have an accident and they pay out a third party in such circumstances they can sue you for their losses. It's not worth the risk you could easily loose you house over it if they had to pay out substantial injury claims.

Last edited:

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
Not quite right they can't not remove Third Party insurance, but if the conditions of the policy say your vehicle must be legal in UK i.e. Road Tax & MOT they can reduce your cover the Third Party. If you have an accident and they pay out a third party in such circumstances they can sue you for their losses. It's not worth the risk you could easily loose you house over it they had to pay out substantial injury claims.

Although it doesn't effect me as don't live in the UK thanks for the clarification. At least the person they hit is ok !! I am astonished anyone with an expensive vehicle would not have it road legal ?

OP
OP
Bica

Bica

Free Member
May 13, 2014
Wymondham
Funster No
MH
Panel Van Conversion
Exp
The Vehicle is taxed until August 2015' even though I don't need to I will be putting the ''tax disc'' back on when I go back to the UK. I have not intentionally driven a van that is not street legal. The problem is I bought the van in March 2012 It is on a 12 plate I return to the UK in March 2015 (10 days before the anniversary of the day it was purchased) but for some reason the V5 says first registered 10-09-11 and also says previous registered owner None!

Last edited:

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
The Vehicle is taxed until August 2015' even though I don't need to I will be putting the ''tax disc'' back on when I go back to the UK. I have not intentionally driven a van that is not street legal. The problem is I bought the van in March 2012 It is on a 12 plate I return to the UK in March 2015 (10 days before the anniversary of the day it was purchased) but for some reason the V5 says first registered 10-09-11 and also says previous registered owner None!
Don't need to worry about tax discs they are a thing of the past, haven't needed to display a tax dic since 1st Oct 2014:)

OP
OP
Bica

Bica

Free Member
May 13, 2014
Wymondham
Funster No
MH
Panel Van Conversion
Exp
Don't need to worry about tax discs they are a thing of the past, haven't needed to display a tax dic since 1st Oct 2014:)

As I said the vehicle is taxed until August 2015' even though I don't need to I will be putting the ''tax disc'' back on when I go back to the UK. Also you no long need a paper equivalent of the driving licence.

I have emailed the DVLA so either they will sort it or they will have the ANPR cameras trained in on Portsmouth docks as I leave :)

OP
OP
Bica

Bica

Free Member
May 13, 2014
Wymondham
Funster No
MH
Panel Van Conversion
Exp
Got it wrong - I thought it was the end of January

Deleted User
My insurance document specifically states that the vehicle will not be covered if it is without a valid MOT. Are you saying that this statement is not valid and would not stand up in court if there was a dispute

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
My insurance document specifically states that the vehicle will not be covered if it is without a valid MOT. Are you saying that this statement is not valid and would not stand up in court if there was a dispute
As I said in an earlier post, once they have issued a policy they are legally obliged to maintain 3rd party cover however if you have not complied with the terms of the policy and they pay out a 3rd party claim, they can re-claim the monies from you.

The low life's get away with it as they won't bother pursuing anyone who hasn't got anything, but if you have got a house worth a few hundred grand they will sure come after you.

Deleted User
Thank you for your reply. So basically the statement on my insurance policy is incorrect, they should be saying the vehicle will be insured but will re-claim any monies paid out from the policy holder.

OP
OP
Bica

Bica

Free Member
May 13, 2014
Wymondham
Funster No
MH
Panel Van Conversion
Exp
when I had my business I used copnor bridge garage I fund them very good firm but fare
I had both my vehicles serviced there when I was working in the RN dockyard
bill
Copnor Bridge mot center
Unit 2, Copnor Bridge Business Centre, Copnor, Portsmouth, Hampshire, PO3 6AP
023 9200 1879

Thanks for that - Arrive Portsmouth Harbour 17:50 Friday 13th (weather permitting) MOT 09:30 Saturday 14th Copnor Bridge. Any idea for safe overnight? - Have stayed at the port on way out but not overnight coming back.

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
have over nightied at Portsmouth head up past the royal marines museum the marina near the marina was a good spot a few years ago
bill

OP
OP
Bica

Bica

Free Member
May 13, 2014
Wymondham
Funster No
MH
Panel Van Conversion
Exp
After all the help I got on here I thought I would update the final solution.

1) While in Portugal I booked an MOT at Copnor Bridge MOT Station for the Saturday morning on the day after we landed and told them it was a six meter panel van.

2) Sent 3 emails to DVLA pointing out the previous errors in the V5 and the fact that it stated no previous registered owners. I got replies from 2 of the but not the last one.

3) When we landed we overnighted at Britstop 108 - The Bold Forester at Soberton Heath) A good traditional pub with great pub grub

4) Turned up at the MOT station and they said could they measure the length of the wheel base.- oh whoops tool long for their ramp.

5) Phoned the guy in Norfolk who does my MOTs and booked it in for Monday morning (16th)

6) Decided to drive home

7) Worked my way though 6 months post - opened letter from DVLA and guess what NEW V5 with date first of first Registration 23-03-2012

EUREKA

Thanks to all who helped will advice

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back