help cannot open caravan door (1 Viewer)

dshague

Free Member
Aug 22, 2007
Funster No
MH
VAN CONVERSION
Exp
20 years
went out to my swift escape ,cannot open the caravan door it will open on the lock ,pull out two inches .it seems to be jammed on the top ,there is a door restrianer
at the top of door,,, any idea's how to fix thanks

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Try moving the restrainer by placing a thin piece of metal alongside? Just a guess.

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
When we used to gave a caravan , the lock was in the middle. It didn't have a lock at the top or bottom. Could it just be the rubber seals stuck together.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
We have a similar problem with my sisters hab door, only in reverse - we can't always close it! It appears that the restrainer has bent slightly. We have to manhandle the bar at times to get the door to shut. The intention is to replace the restraining bar in the top of the door soon.

OP
OP
dshague

dshague

Free Member
Aug 22, 2007
Funster No
MH
VAN CONVERSION
Exp
20 years
thanks for your reply can get my fingers round door when open a not stuck on seal

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Assuming you are at home and not stuck outside literally, wait until tomorrow when it is light, stand on some steps and with a torch try and see what is jamming it. A thin, long, flat screwdriver could be useful for poking things.

If you are stuck somewhere and freezing to death, just pull hard!

wingman

Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
You say it's a Swift Escape 'caravan' as opposed to a Motorhome?

If it's a caravan and you can't budge it (maybe the door stay was bent in recent wind' or it's just Sod's law???)

If you can only get 2" access from outside, you may have to use the coat hanger trick on a window to get inside and tackle it from the interior. Won't tell you how, as you never know who's reading the thread. Think you get the gist?

Last edited:
OP
OP
dshague

dshague

Free Member
Aug 22, 2007
Funster No
MH
VAN CONVERSION
Exp
20 years
wingman thanks,,,, van is a coachbuilt its the rear door that's the problem am at home will try to open in morning ,coat hanger /slim metal /big crow bar ....

markh

Free Member
Jun 4, 2014
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Lots
Can you go in through the cab and see what's stopping it opening?

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Oh is it a coach built Motorhome? You said swift caravan Door ?

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Just a thought. As an ex-caravaner I had a similar experience some years ago.

The cause was :- corner steadies not wound down equally twisting the body/chassis slightly. This caused the door frame to distort.

Lifting all four off the ground cured the problem.

Hope this helps.

wingman

Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
I'm doubly confused now! @dshague said it was an Escape Caravan ( I believe Swift do an 'Escape' both in the caravan AND Motorhome ranges?)

Now, the OP talks about a 'coachbuilt'. I wouldn't have suggested getting through the window if it were an MH (n)

wingman

Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
OK 'dsh'. I see it all now. Sorry for suggesting you climb through the window :smiley:
Just wait till tomorrow's daylight, get in via the cab and investigate from the inside.

As outlined above, could be all sorts....

Good luck. Let us know what the outcome was.

Regards
James

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Think it needs clarifying...
Swift Escape Caravan 1 door...... go in through a window..(y) ;)

Swift Escape Motorhome 3 doors..... go in through another door.. (y) ;)

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Take the key, open the driver door, get inside, walk to side door and remove stay.Open the side door!!! Simples.

motorhomer

Free Member
May 17, 2008
South Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005 (but 30 years caravanning)
Exactly the same thing happened to my neighbours Bessacar - ie also a swift! Possibly not a coincidence.

The door stay was between the door and the door frame, at the top, so not possible to get at it from inside the van.

My only suggestion is to spray my favourite fix it - ie WD40 around the door stay, above the door.

After that I think you have to force it from the inside, and hope nothing breaks. If its under guarantee I would take it back to the dealer!

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Is it a Hartal door? There were problems with those manufactured in 2007/2008 if it is chances are the retaining cap that holds the mechanism in place has come off, easy to repair & mod once you have taken the rear cover off.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
DO NOT FORCE IT! you will twist the door and frame

open door as far as it will travel and spray in releasing lubricant. WD40 or GT85 both are good. leave to work half an hour. then open the door and wiggle it back and forth to make the retainer slide along its track.

once its fully open strip down the retainer and either free it off and clean it or replace it.

some vans are more prone to this than others, as water/rain can settle on the top of the door and it starts to corrode the track. there is no permanent cure other than removing the retainer

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
We had trouble with the door retainer on our swift mh. Had to tape it to the frame way in the end as it used to pop off its rivets and hang down in the way of shutting the door. Never got it fixed. Traded van in for another swift more fool us.

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Just a thought. As an ex-caravaner I had a similar experience some years ago.

The cause was :- corner steadies not wound down equally twisting the body/chassis slightly. This caused the door frame to distort.

Lifting all four off the ground cured the problem.

Hope this helps.
Sorry!

Didn't see the clarification that you were talking about a M/H. Original post referred to "caravan door".:(

OP
OP
dshague

dshague

Free Member
Aug 22, 2007
Funster No
MH
VAN CONVERSION
Exp
20 years
steep ladder out ,small screw driver lift up door stay nothing door still stuck ,,then spot the problem .the captive screw that holds the door stay to frame had come lose and dropped in to grove in top of door .lifted up screw . door opened .threads on screw had worn out .have re tappet a new captive screw in to door frame and all is well .silicone sprayed runners .
I only got this van two weeks ago only opened the habitation door three times .
thank you all for you replies...

wingman

Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
Well, there ya go dsh. Good to hear that it's all sorted. Thanks for letting us know.

It's not unusual to have a problem with a van one's just bought. These pages bear witness to that! The screw could have been dislodged at any time. Better that this happened outside the house and not at some more remote place!

Sounds like you've done a great job there.

James

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back