USB sockets in dash, a good idea? (1 Viewer)

Jul 2, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon Tiki Tag, 2007.
Exp
We have sat nav and dash cam plugged into cigarette lighter sockets, quite often we want to also charge other things on the move so use those naff 3 cigarette lighter socket adapter things. Right pain they are, must have gone through at least 4 that just stop working for no reason. Anyway, we always seem to be fiddling with the plugs to keep everything working.

Considering having 2 x double USB sockets fitted in dash, not a job I would tackle but I know many would so will be looking locally to get it done.

Thinking that if one double socket was wired through the ignition we could leave the sat nav and dash cam plugged in there and if the other double was permanently live, we could use those for charging when parked. At the moment, everything that needs to be charged via USB when stationary has to be done from the single cigarette lighter socket in the bedroom.

Apart from the risk of running down the engine battery by inadvertently leaving something plugged in, is there any other reason not do go down this route? Is there a better way to get away from using the cigarette lighter sockets.

Thanks

Steve

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Cant see a problem and i have done it myself....only difference its ign controlled and behind the dash...not in it.

Feeds my TomTom permanant installation.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I brought a Broken Link Removed, twin USB supplies, one fitted under the dash fed from the radio feed so it is switched via the ignition, one output feeds the dash cam the other one used an extension lead brought it out in top glove box for charging phones etc. on the move, For satnav reversing camera etc. brought a Clarion NX502e double din stereo (wired to hab battery), so no wires trailing round the dash.
The other USB socket I fitted in the hab with an on/off switch area see photo.

P1000039.jpg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Encantador
Jul 2, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon Tiki Tag, 2007.
Exp
Thanks for the replies.

Thanks for the photos Andy, not thought about just replacing the existing cigarette lighters with USB sockets.

Mind me asking where you got those sockets from?

Thanks

Steve

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
They are standard in some cars - almost universal in the USA so I can't see a problem.

Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
Andy as you've probably seen I have fitted the same double USB socket but with a switch on account of the very intense blue led indicated being lit when socket is powered. Does this not annoy especially at night when driving or have you managed to find a way of switching the damn thing off. :)

Last edited:

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Not noticed yet but simple solution is to cover the led with:-
black tape
black silicon
black sticky dot
black enamel
etc
:LOL:

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Any as you've probably seen I have fitted the same double USB socket but with a switch on account of the very intense blue led indicated being lit when socket is powered. Does this not annoy especially at night when driving or have you managed to find a way of switching the damn thing off. :)
A dab of paint will cover the light. A dark nail varnish would work as well if you have some to spare!

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
I have noticed there is a difference between sellers. Some are CE marked and marginally better quality and it is not related to price.

To make things even prettier there is an amazing choice of usb cables on ebay to fit every situation.
This is a favourite and if it don't point in the right direction then just rotate the socket to suit. £2.59 China
$_57.JPG

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back