Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Since 2011, previously a tugger
I have slowly been working my way through van changing the halogen bulbs to LED. No problems what so ever until the 4 single pole bulbs that are in row behind a long lens cover that looks like a strip light. Ordered from ebay, £8 for the four.

They duly arrived and I rushed out to try them...nothing, I thought faulty, so negotiated a part refund and got £5 back without having to return bulbs.

Then it crossed my mind that I had read something about polarity on LED bulbs. So just been out and swapped the live and neutral over in the light fitting and hey presto!

They seem to be working fine, had them glowing for past hour, no sign of heating, should be ok....yes? :rolleyes:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I seem to have forgotten my ebay log in details ;)
Wont be the first time that happened to my memory too.

Bought some LEDs from China.......THEY sent the wrong ones with the wrong base, single contact instead of twin contact.

contacted seller, they refunded in full and i got to keep the bulbs.
not worth their postage back to China i guess....they cost £5 for 4 bulbs post free.

what i forgot to mention i had fittings with this type of base as well as the ones i wanted.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I'm sure if you contact ebay they will help you recover your log in.:)
On a more serious note I make a good percentage of my income selling on eBay so please don't buy anything from me.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Dave and Ginny

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
I'm sure if you contact ebay they will help you recover your log in.:)
On a more serious note I make a good percentage of my income selling on eBay so please don't buy anything from me.

It was not intentional to commit such large scale fraud, :unsure: but it does make a change for me to be on the winning side! I did in fact ask the seller if polarity could be a factor and he ignored my question. It was only whilst reading a later post on here that I read something confirming that polarity can be an issue with LED's.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Most low voltage LED's now have a bridge built in so polarity does not matter.
If they can't be bothered to reply I don't have any sympathy for them, I'm having grief with a Chinese supplier at the moment a laptop power supply failed after a few hours use, they asked me to send them £3 so they could then send me a replacement & have not answered any further messages.

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
Most low voltage LED's now have a bridge built in so polarity does not matter.
If they can't be bothered to reply I don't have any sympathy for them, I'm having grief with a Chinese supplier at the moment a laptop power supply failed after a few hours use, they asked me to send them £3 so they could then send me a replacement & have not answered any further messages.

Be careful using Chinese power supply leads. I had a replacement one on my laptop, puff of smoke, sparks and smell of burning. Had I not been in the motorhome at the time and had left it on charge, might not gave had a motorhome to return to.

( sorry---don't mean to hijack thread but wouldn't want your laptop to go up in flames)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Dave and Ginny

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Be careful using Chinese power supply leads. I had a replacement one on my laptop, puff of smoke, sparks and smell of burning. Had I not been in the motorhome at the time and had left it on charge, might not gave had a motorhome to return to.

( sorry---don't mean to hijack thread but wouldn't want your laptop to go up in flames)

Not a problem, spreading the word on these issues is most important (y)

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Last one lasted 5 years, it's the 12v dc to dc converter type I'm talking about.

I don't think you can buy laptop power supply that isn't made in China.:D

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back