More help re Alden Phenix auto tracking solar panel (1 Viewer)

Nov 25, 2014
Essex
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2006
does anyone know if this panel charges whilst folded down? I can't tell because the control panel is off when the solar panel is down & if I turn the control panel on, to see how many amps I'm receiving, the solar panel deploys.
thanks in anticipation.
Richard

OP
OP
Richard Birkett
Nov 25, 2014
Essex
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2006
Im sorry but I'm a complete idiot where electricity is concerned! What exactly would I do with the volt meter?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Im sorry but I'm a complete idiot where electricity is concerned! What exactly would I do with the volt meter?

First find you leisure battery - not always easy - measure the voltage.....

12....12.5 Volts it's off charger
13.6V charging nicely.
14.5V max you will see.

Buy one of these and you should get the reading from a leisure side 12V socket.

Broken Link Removed

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
It would be a very fool hardy design if it did not continue to charge when laid flat. I believe the controller switch simply turns on the tracking. Fine in Summer but I imagine in winter it would draw as much power is it will make. I would leave it flat but make sure it is clean.

OP
OP
Richard Birkett
Nov 25, 2014
Essex
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2006
Thank you Brian for such a clear explanation.
I know where the batteries are and I will check them.
Should not the main Carthago panel be showing me this information?
Regarding the tester, we don't have any 12v sockets, they are all 240v from the inverter (or mains when on EHU).
As an aside, why 13.6 when charging? Would this be irrespective of the amount of amps being generated?
Thanks again

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
How old is the van and do you have the name of the person that had it installed?

As I said in your original post, we probably supplied it even if we didn't install it.

It acts just like any normal 100 watt flat panel when parked. It takes very little power to track, but, there is very little sun this time of the year lol

The display is a guide only and not representitive of the amps produced. On the hideaway controller there is a port which allows a specific ammeter to be plugged in if you want to know exactly what the system is doing.

The on board ammeter will just tell you of course the net gain/discharge not what the panel is producing.

There is also an optional anemometer available which when fitted will automatical retract the Phenix when it gets too windy. Of course as you know the Phenix will automatically park itself at dusk

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
As an aside, why 13.6 when charging? Would this be irrespective of the amount of amps being generated?
Thanks again

It's the chemical reactions going on in the lead+sulphuric acid soup. 13.6v is the "proper" constant charge voltage. Off charge it then drops to 12.5v as the fully charged voltage and by 12v it's flat.

OP
OP
Richard Birkett
Nov 25, 2014
Essex
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2006
Eddie, It's 8 years old & I don't know the name of the original owner. Do you know how much the anemometer is? As I would be interested in having that fitted. There are a few other bits of kit I'm thinking of upgrading/adding to, such as adding a sky box to the Oyster digital satellite, potentially replacing the batteries which appear not to be holding a charge, identifying the garage alarm (strikeback T) etc

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Eddie, It's 8 years old

Prices have changed in 8 years, although a tracker will give significant gains over a flat panel now they are down in price a couple of flat panels is a much simpler solution if there is room. Just an idle thought if it does go expensively wrong. KISS.

The real oddball tracker for me is the solar mounted on the back of a sat dish, so in daytime you choose, charge batteries or watch TV.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Prices have changed in 8 years, although a tracker will give significant gains over a flat panel now they are down in price a couple of flat panels is a much simpler solution if there is room. Just an idle thought if it does go expensively wrong. KISS.

But you have to also take into consideration weight and space.

We have 3 x 130 watt panels on our Motorhome, and ALDEN Phenix's on our exhibition unit ( the one people see at shows) and on my Sons Winnebago

My 3 x 130 watt panels produce a lot more power during the day, but the Phenix produces a good rate ALL through the day as it is perpendicular to the sun from early in the morning till the sun sets

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Eddie, It's 8 years old & I don't know the name of the original owner. Do you know how much the anemometer is? As I would be interested in having that fitted. There are a few other bits of kit I'm thinking of upgrading/adding to, such as adding a sky box to the Oyster digital satellite, potentially replacing the batteries which appear not to be holding a charge, identifying the garage alarm (strikeback T) etc

If you email me eddie@vanbitz.com the registration number I'll look for you in the system and see exactly what you have.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back