LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Talk about tempting fate. You'll have to forgive the sniggering from FUN as you count out the €1000.

But good luck to you.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
klaus Knaus

klaus Knaus

Free Member
Jan 20, 2014
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Well I certainly wouldn't want to be judgemental about this but the world and his wife is riding around on twist grip e-bikes round here and no-one (campers or site personnel) has heard of any issues with them at all

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2010
Torrevieja, Spain
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip H720
Exp
December 2011
Guardia Civil and local police really don't seem interested in cyclists. have never even spoken to me when I have been riding my bike down a one way street the wrong way and they have been coming the other direction.

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
now there is a funster. admitting he drives the wrong way down a one way street.

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
but the wrong way. and I can do that.. because I am a funster.

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Since 2011, previously a tugger
It does seem that this lady that had a huge fine is an isolated case. I gather it was posted on a C&CC site notice board last year in Spain. Having already spent £600 on a bike that's only 18 months old I'm loath to spend another £900 to get another!

I can just see us cycling about in Spain and seeing ebikes with throttles all over the place (n)

Aug 4, 2013
Oop North
Funster No
MH
None now 😢
Exp
We will use our A & S bikes too ... But maybe more in France than Spain, suppose the problems would really escalate if we hit someone with the bike!

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
i guess the issue is if you are breaking the law and you are involved in an incident...... then :doh:

its like having no insurance, matters not until you are involved in an incident..:RollEyes:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
It does seem that this lady that had a huge fine is an isolated case. I gather it was posted on a C&CC site notice board last year in Spain.

Maybe it was an attitude problem, a little friendly warning and she laid into the cop. Who knows ?

Last Mar we did a fair bit of cycling in Spain. Never had a moment's trouble in Germany, Italy. And will be throttling in Italy in 4 months.

But the choice is yours.

I have the option on my bike insurance to ride other bikes, so, maybe, if it's a motorbike at least I would be insured, maybe.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
It does seem that this lady that had a huge fine is an isolated case. I gather it was posted on a C&CC site notice board last year in Spain. Having already spent £600 on a bike that's only 18 months old I'm loath to spend another £900 to get another!

I can just see us cycling about in Spain and seeing ebikes with throttles all over the place (n)

Perhaps the report on the C&CC board did not give the whole story. Since we weren't there we will never know but could it be that she was involved in an accident?

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
dont think so, she just refused to pay the 4000 € fine and ended up in court, where fine was upheld and she got hit with another 400€ for her trouble. from earlier threads it was a reprint of spanish newspaper article. Thing is if its the only one which i somehow doubt, a precedent has now been set. as has been said unlikely to get pulled in a tourist town..more chance by traffic police if they can be bothered.

obviously an incident or accident and situation COULD change dramatically. at the end of the day it really is a lot nicer and safer to ride legal e bikes and IMO they are far better bikes...sorry guys. Also while its fine to do your own thing and ignore the risk, encouraging others to do so out of order....we are all adults capable of our own decisions

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
We will use our A & S bikes too ... But maybe more in France than Spain, suppose the problems would really escalate if we hit someone with the bike!
A&S bikes have 3 position twist grips so you don't have to ride it on electric only.

petrol tin glyn

Free Member
Jun 29, 2012
Cardiff
Funster No
MH
autotrail cheiftain
Exp
since 2006
So if you ride electric bike in spain with throttle its against the law but not in france, when in spain don"t put the battery on the bike then its a normal bike is that ok ???

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
It's against the law in France as well (so I am told) but the law isn't enforced.

From what I have read, within the EU it's only in the UK that a throttle of up to 15.5mph is legal. In Germany you can have a throttle of up to 6kph but even that would be illegal in Spain. This is assuming I correctly understand what I have read of course.

Personally I would be happy to register my ebike with the DVLA (already have 3rd party and theft insurance but might need to upgrade it) and put on number plates but as it is already legal in the UK the DVLA won't allow this.

It's a funny old world.

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Since 2011, previously a tugger
We have been looking about for a replacement bike for Ginny but It's unlikely we will find anything suitable before we head off to Spain in a couple of weeks.

I'm by no means suggesting this is the answer, or in anyway makes the bike legal, but I have managed to disconnect the throttle wire at the control box and now her Pro Rider just provides motor assist only when the pedals are being rotated.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
That's what AS Bikes recommend. Stops the throttle turning in places where the throttle is illegal and easily removed when you get home.

But it's only a bluff because the bike has not been certified to the standard and will not be marked as the standard demands, so it's quite wrong for them to give this advice as suppliers.

I just suggested it as better than nothing.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
IF they can be bothered, they will be looking for sticker on frame stating bike is EN1594 compliant. both our different make german bikes have these on front of lower frame, behind front wheel

what makes me laugh members are going back to the suppliers for advice...Its like an abuse victim returning to abuser for even more of the same. how can you trust someone who sold you these chinese bikes in the first place beggars belief.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
But it's only a bluff because the bike has not been certified to the standard and will not be marked as the standard demands, so it's quite wrong for them to give this advice as suppliers.

I just suggested it as better than nothing.

I have a CoC saying it is legal in the UK. I would give that to any policeman who took an interest :). Not that it is likely to happen as I have no intention of taking the bike to Spain.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
They sell them at motorhome shows. The law will say nothing, but I know what I think. They play on impulse buying and nievity IMO

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back