Quickie: Sending Docs to Swansea (1 Viewer)

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
The detail is in the title.

Sending off the whole raft of docs. to Swansea to change Taxation class. This includes Log Book (quaint!) Cert. of Ins. and MOT

Do I trust to luck or send it 'Signed For'?

I appreciate that it could, might, possibly, will (cross off all that do not apply)
fall into the Black Hole as it crosses the border into Wales but which postal service would you go for.

All replies gratefully received.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I sent mine off in early December to change the GVW via Special Delivery and had them back in 10 days. I suppose all that means though is that Royal Mail guarantee that they get there, not that the DVLA won't lose them. :confused:

ludo

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 12, 2011
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 1990
Definitely "Special Next Day Delivery", about £7

When you use this service, your package goes into a special bag! If you use Recorded signed for delivery your package goes with all the other mail.

We sold our van last October and sent off the V5 by the latter method, 1st class.

About 10 days later, I checked with Royal Mail tracker and my letter had not been delivered. I called Royal Mail and was told that I must wait 15 working days before they were able to investigate.

In the meantime, I received a road tax refund by cheque from DVLA. According to the Royal Mail my letter has still not been delivered to this day!!!!!

DON'T RISK IT!

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I'm sure it was mentioned on a thread a while ago that DVLA don't actually sign for anything regardless of how it's sent due to the volume they receive. It's just less likely that Royal Mail will lost it before it gets there with Special Delivery.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Signed for, recorded...a waste of time.

Swansea will receive hundreds, if not thousands, of letters each day in sacks.
How are they supposed to sign for every letter.

Can't see special delivery being any different.

In their eyes, If it goes awol in the post it's your fault.
If they receive it and it goes awol in their system it's still your fault.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
When we were putting a private plate on one of our vehicles I sent everything in and in due course got a new V5 and a new tax disc back. No problems.
About three weeks later I received another envelope from them containing the the original paperwork I had sent them, minus the old tax disc, together with a covering letter rejecting the application because I hadn't included the old tax disc. :doh:

Several amusing phone calls later I was not to worry, they didn't know what had happened and to throw the second letter in the bin.

They have plenty of scope for cock ups without Royal Mail helping.

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
I sent off our docs to DVLA last year, 3 weeks later I had heard nothing, so I phoned them. Nothing received they claimed. So I sent off the new keeper supplement, but this time used recorded delivery.
Another 3 weeks passed and still nothing, so I phoned again, still claimed not to have received them. This time I gave them the name of the person who signed for the docs, and the exact time and date that they had arrived.
Miraculously my new docs arrived within a week!

OP
OP
Emmit

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Right, The results are in (before I freeze my nuts off going to the P.O.)
Send Supa Dupa Post costing an arm and leg 3 Votes
Send 'Signed for' 2 Votes
Send ordinary post 1 Vote
Didn't give an answer 1 Vote

I think I'll pin the envelope on the Welsh Cob in the field next door and give it's ar$e a slap. I reckon he's got more idea than Royal Mail in getting to Swansea.

LARRY99

LIFE MEMBER
May 27, 2011
South wales
Funster No
MH
C class Rv/ Dethleff
Exp
Ages
Sent my v5 away on jan 6th,, came back yesterday .

Ordinary mail/ post

Think it,s just pot luck with both the dvla/ post

Atb lau(y)

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Remember to COPY EVERYTHING, especially driving licences as they also forget entitlements,

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
As already been said they don't sign for any mail they get -simply too many -it may be a good idea to keep a photo copy anything you send -not that they will take any notice of copies if it goes tits up -but at least you have copies ;):D
I have just received a letter asking me to tax a van that ran out in November or declare it SORN -Tried online but it's above a mth ago so cannot SORN it -awaiting the fine now because I can not get to talk to anyone that understand what has happened -not my fault letter is 2 mths late :(
terry

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Always send special delivery - or even by courier.

DVLA will blame the post office and the post office blame the DVLA. With special delivery or courier you do have some come back. :)

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)

DVLA will blame the post office and the post office blame the DVLA. With special delivery or courier you do have some come back. :)
You have no comeback simply because they dont sign for anything -plus there is no value to anything except cost of postage -it's still hassel :)
terry

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Off topic kinda alert:)
Was reading in Sunday paper about HMRC tax returns being intercepted in post because of obvious envelope and cheques being changed and cashed....:)

Someone lost nearly 5k and tax man still wanted the money! It was proved cheque had been changed and they got there money back from bank who should have been more observant:) paying tax by mail ? dont use their envelope....

andrewjw

Free Member
Oct 23, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
La Strada Regent L
Exp
20 years plus
Despite using special delivery for all docs etc sent to the DVLA it has taken from 4/11/14 till yesterday to for them to send me a V5C with the correct VIN no on [their mistake originally]....:rolleyes:

Even so I'd still stick with SD as you can track its progress which at least confirms it has got to Wales..:)

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
I sent off our docs to DVLA last year, 3 weeks later I had heard nothing, so I phoned them. Nothing received they claimed. So I sent off the new keeper supplement, but this time used recorded delivery.
Another 3 weeks passed and still nothing, so I phoned again, still claimed not to have received them. This time I gave them the name of the person who signed for the docs, and the exact time and date that they had arrived.
Miraculously my new docs arrived within a week!

On some UK car forums I use most who deal with them have been given every excuse.
"signed for " yes , but there was nothing in the envelope when opened ! :sneaky:

Most of the people who use them regularly ,use couriers . They deliver docs to them & are videoed doing so ,as are the docs; being placed into respective addressed envelopes. The chain of evidence, for that is what it is , continues with continuous video up to & including identification of the person receiving the documents. One bloke said it cost him around £50 a time but was cheaper than trying to get foreign registration documents /titles/invoices replaced, plus he had never had one ounce of problems since doing it in this manner.

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988

What Pd said as there may not be a signature but you can get a specific time of delivery on the tracking print-off. Have to say my experience has always been positive, but when I ring I always emphasise my accent......isn't it boyo!(y)

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
And if you were Lady BasBett it would be the sexy, husky voice purring "cariad" at the end of every sentence.... I know your tricks :)

Oh yes, a bit of a Sian Lloyd on steroids, but she's no longer our weatherlady sadly, the new one's nice though, Benaz Akhtar an Iraqi lady and she sounds more Welsh than Sian now!:D

OP
OP
Emmit

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
The Welsh Cob wasn't available today. It was running at Fontwell Park!!!
I therefore had to make a decision and, sob! I went to the Post Office and, sob! and spent, (Oh! that's a terrible word) £6.40 of my meagre pension on a supposedly fabulous service where they personally guarantee that they will look after my little envelope and ensure that, whatever the weather??? they will get it to the DVLA by 1pm tomorrow.

After that my application could spiral into the 'Black Hole' that is their system? never to be seen again.

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
I therefore had to make a decision and, sob! I went to the Post Office and, sob! and spent, (Oh! that's a terrible word) £6.40 of my meagre pension on a supposedly fabulous service where they personally guarantee that they will look after my little envelope and ensure that, whatever the weather??? they will get it to the DVLA by 1pm tomorrow.

After that my application could spiral into the 'Black Hole' that is their system? never to be seen again.

Follow the tracker on the Royal Mail/Post Office site the print off tomorrow will show exactly what time it was delivered. (y)

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Remember to COPY EVERYTHING, especially driving licences as they also forget entitlements,
Always copy everything.

When renewing my driving licence I enclosed a letter reminding them that I needed to retain my motor cycle entitlement as well as cars. After three weeks, hearing nothing, I rang them and they asked me to send my licence!
When I said they had had it and reminded them I wanted to retain my bike entitlement they asked me to prove I had passed my bike test. I passed in 1967 so had no other proof.

Fortunately, the photocopy of my licence was accepted as said proof.

Copy everything!

Bertie Bassett

Free Member
Jul 25, 2014
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 1988
I use the post office "next day" service for 99% of my business parcels. It really is very good.

And in my view getting better, our local postie (yes we have one) is thrilled to bits because they are now getting so much small parcel business from Amazon. Good for the business and good for his pocket!(y)

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
Always copy everything.

When renewing my driving licence I enclosed a letter reminding them that I needed to retain my motor cycle entitlement as well as cars. After three weeks, hearing nothing, I rang them and they asked me to send my licence!
When I said they had had it and reminded them I wanted to retain my bike entitlement they asked me to prove I had passed my bike test. I passed in 1967 so had no other proof.

Fortunately, the photocopy of my licence was accepted as said proof.

Copy everything!

Surely the DVLA must have records of our entitlement? Not going back years but currently. I have read on here before that the DVLA renew licences and people's entitlements are missing.

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Motor Cycle News ( I think) reported the suspension of a motor cyclists entitlement on renewing the licence. He had not kept copies and the DVLA said that, without proof of his having passed his test he would have to take it again.

It was only when he pointed out that he was a Motorcycle Test Examiner by profession and, if they did not accept his entitlement to the licence, all the candidates that he had passed over the previous years would also have to have their licences revoked, that they changed their minds.

You would think that they would keep records, but they are clearly inadequate.

Margaritaman

Free Member
Oct 27, 2013
East Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile C Class
Exp
since 2008

You've done the right thing. Wish I had followed your example when changing my taxation class. 6 weeks after posting all my docs to Swansea had heard nothing. Emailed them said they didn't know if they received my docs or wouldn't know until they were "processed" by them. After 7 weeks rang them. Same reply wouldn't know if they had received them until they processed them. So decided to request duplicate docs so I could resubmit my change of taxation class application. Had to pay about £35 for a duplicate V5 I think. The day after I received this now week 8 my new V5 with change of tax class arrived! Grrrrr!
Complained to DVLA that I was out of pocket by £40 approx. They agreed to compensate me for this amout.
When the cheque arrived. They'd spelt my name WRONG. Waited weeks for the correct cheque.

Your £6-90 is well spent IMHO

Spanishsteve

Free Member
Oct 18, 2014
Eastbourne
Funster No
MH
Hymer 578
Exp
When Royal Mail go to deliver Special or Recorded Delivery Mail, they scan the relevant barcodes into the PDA and then enter the recipients name who then signs the PDA to accept delivery. I don't know how many barcodes can be entered consecutively but it certainly is not one for one.
Recorded Delivery is dealt with as normal mail but you get a signature, but Special Delivery is different as it goes in green sacks, gets it's own York (trolley), and when taken to a Mail Centre is taken to a high security facility.
The Royal Mail internal tracking intranet webpage goes into more detail than the RM internet website.
If any mail is important it's SD only.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back