Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
I have just spoken to a friend who hired a van conversion MH for Christmas, got 2 hours down the road and the engine went to limp mode on the M1. He got it off the motorway and the AA could not repair it so it had to go onto a transporter back to the Hirers depot However they had closed for Christmas holiday so the AA got him a transit minibus as a loan vehicle so that they could get all the stuff out of the MH and off they went for a hotel stay. The hire company opened up and got out a replacement but not prepared properly.
They really liked the concept and now want to buy a proper MH and he fancies a Globebus as the layout suits what they want.
He has looked for an ex rental German model and was wondering what need doing to import it to the UK. Tax paid in Germany and C of C
in order.. Anything that needs changing to register it her ie Headlights Etc. The other thing that concerns him is insuring it until it is UK registered, He is looking on a German site that advertises MH but I do not know which one.
Does anyone have any pitfalls to look out for and as the £ is high it looks to save many thousands to one bought here . Any comments from the FUN knowledge base????

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Try a search of past threads on importing from Germany. Some of us have a lot of experience and happy to answer specific questions. Yes it is worthwhile doing, have been doing it for 20 years....

JimboT

Free Member
Nov 6, 2013
Welwyn Garden City
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I'm a newbie
Why don't you just buy in uk less stress I am thinking?
Jim

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
if he can find a previously imported van at german prices yes I agree why not. but if not, can save a bundle if happy with LHD and personally import. and its not stressful at all, once you know what you're doing....

99 for sale on here from £25K

Broken Link Removed

OP
OP
GWAYGWAY

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
I will pass that site to him there is a new one there for a very attractive rate, especially with the Euro. The ones here are the same in £s with a delivery charge on top.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
I will pass that site to him there is a new one there for a very attractive rate, especially with the Euro. The ones here are the same in £s with a delivery charge on top.

Your welcome... Want any help with the import itself feel free to ask. I also know a Dethleff dealer who I and others on here have used..PM me for details if interested

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
GWAYGWAY

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
I have passed the details of the website and the forum details to him, so there might be another member soon.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back