Free Member
Apr 11, 2013
United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
5 years
We recently bought a 2012 Hymer B544 and have a problem with the settee back which won’t stay put because the material used to grip the circular ‘velcro hook’ type fastening has insufficient integrity to prevent it being pulled apart.

In this picture you can see the material clinging to the hook fastenings

Broken Link Removed

This photo shows the damage in just 2 years!

Broken Link Removed

In this photo you can see the amount of fabric that I’ve picked out of the circular fastening.

Broken Link Removed

Has anyone had a similar problem and found a simple solution?

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
We have the same on our 09 Hymer, but only 'problem' is that the cushion tips forward when travelling

On arrival, put back in place, all OK till we move again

Or is yours a bigger issue?

:)

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Mine is nine years older than yours and uses the same fixings for the L-shaped settee back. There is some sign of 'pulling' on the cushion backs but nothing like the problem you have - the fabric's integrity has not been compromised. It might be worth talking to Hymer in Germany, or Travelworld in the UK to see if they can offer any advice regarding repair.

p.s. I have just noticed you mention that the B544 is a recent purchase. I would go back to the dealer first.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Valkman

Valkman

Free Member
Apr 11, 2013
United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
5 years
Bought from Travelworld who say Hymer don't want to know as the vehicle is more than 2yrs old. Thanks Hymer! Travelworld tried a solution which involved stapling Velcro to the wooden backboard and the other part through the seat back onto plwood baton, but this didn't work. Travelworld are looking for a solution but a round trip for me is about 230 miles. Not really cost effective. I'm looking into having 'fuzzy ' Velcro sewn onto the back currently. We haven't got a sewing machine so looking into costs of having it done professionally. One suggestion is to have a 50mm wide tape of 'fuzzy ' Velcro sewn across the back through the material into curtain header tape. This should definitely be strong enough. The purpose of the post was to gauge if this is a common problem and to seek a common cost effective solution

Jul 29, 2011
Urmston, Manchester
Funster No
MH
Former owner.
Exp
June 2012
Your solution of a 50mm strip on the back of the cushion is the same as we have, no problems with movement or damage to the cushion.

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
When we had our Hymer -although the issue wasn't as bad as yours we also pulled the closed curtains over each end of the back cushion , but we also had the Hymer side cushions or other loose cushions against the rear cushion and didn't experience the cushion coming adrift whilst travelling. it would seem that the material backing on your cushion appears to be rather loose also.Maybe the velcro has to be positioned higher?

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
You don't say where you are in the UK. If near us I would stitch the velcro on for you.

OP
OP
Valkman

Valkman

Free Member
Apr 11, 2013
United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
5 years
You don't say where you are in the UK. If near us I would stitch the velcro on for you.
That's a great offer Puddleduck and very much appreciated. I live in Norfolk so too far away (for most things :D) I know one or two local businesses that are capable though so I'll get in touch. shouldn't cost too much. (Born optimist :))

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Since 2011, previously a tugger
My 2002 B544 doesn't seem to be suffering with the same problem as yours, happily do a straight swap with you if interested? The vehicle that is, not just the cushion back! ;)

We do have a little bit of the same 'plucking' that I keep an eye on. I had thought that if it got too bad I would probably get an upholsterer to replace that somewhat inadequate linen with something more substantial and sow in additional velcro.

Last edited:

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
I can't say how big the job is until actually looking at it. I've made / sewn some weird and wonderful things in my time :)

Hope it works out well for you. I have seen simialr problems before and not just on motorhomes but also chairs and settees where velco has been used. Cheaper office chairs often use velcro to keep the seat cushions in place.

WAG2CRU

Free Member
May 31, 2012
Argyll
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654SL Star Edition
Exp
since2012
Our Hymer also 2012 (B654SL) doesn't have this problem but, where required, the seat backs hook into a plastic retainer. It may be worth having a word with the parts guys at Brownhills, we have never bought a van from them but, these guys know a lot about Hymers and have good contacts at Hymer.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Just as a guide Julie across the rd from me (does all my upholstery)only charges aprox £30 to sew a complete cushion -a little more on double sized ones - inc zips and backing / uses your own face material and done on a proper industrial machine that uses ind cotton so they don't fall apart ;):D--edit If you can take the cover off and mark where you want velcro stiching and send it to me I will get her to do it -You pay postage both ways -it would be good if you know if you need the hook side or the fuzzy side ;)
terry

Last edited:

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Since 2011, previously a tugger
Our Hymer also 2012 (B654SL) It may be worth having a word with the parts guys at Brownhills, we have never bought a van from them but, these guys know a lot about Hymers and have good contacts at Hymer.

That might still be happy to talk to you but I thought Brownhills had lost the Hymer dealership?

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
It shouldn't be too big a job looking at your photos. It's as if the corresponding velcro hasn't been put in place. Do any of your other cushions have the same fixings and do they have velcro on both cushion and seat back?

OP
OP
Valkman

Valkman

Free Member
Apr 11, 2013
United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
5 years
Just as a guide Julie across the rd from me (does all my upholstery)only charges aprox £30 to sew a complete cushion -a little more on double sized ones - inc zips and backing / uses your own face material and done on a proper industrial machine that uses ind cotton so they don't fall apart ;):D--edit If you can take the cover off and mark where you want velcro stiching and send it to me I will get her to do it -You pay postage both ways -it would be good if you know if you need the hook side or the fuzzy side ;)
terry

Thanks Terry - very kind of you. Can I take a raincheck on that? - I'll see what I can arrange locally first. If successful, I'll post pics.

OP
OP
Valkman

Valkman

Free Member
Apr 11, 2013
United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
5 years
It shouldn't be too big a job looking at your photos. It's as if the corresponding velcro hasn't been put in place. Do any of your other cushions have the same fixings and do they have velcro on both cushion and seat back?

Hi Puddleduck - there all the same. It's not actually 'Velcro' the circular items are plastic and are designed to 'hook into' the backing material. The problem I think lies with the integrity of the backing material. I think the problem is exacerbated if the backing is slightly loose which probably accounts for the varying degrees of reported problems. There's still sufficient though to show that there is a problem with Hymer's method of fixing.

OP
OP
Valkman

Valkman

Free Member
Apr 11, 2013
United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
5 years
Our Hymer also 2012 (B654SL) doesn't have this problem but, where required, the seat backs hook into a plastic retainer. It may be worth having a word with the parts guys at Brownhills, we have never bought a van from them but, these guys know a lot about Hymers and have good contacts at Hymer.

Any chance of a quick pic?

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
Hi Puddleduck - there all the same. It's not actually 'Velcro' the circular items are plastic and are designed to 'hook into' the backing material. The problem I think lies with the integrity of the backing material. I think the problem is exacerbated if the backing is slightly loose which probably accounts for the varying degrees of reported problems. There's still sufficient though to show that there is a problem with Hymer's method of fixing.

Anything hookie enough to snag the backing fabric will eventually cause fraying and tearing unless the fabric is of animal fur or wool when it will felt. Heavy duty felted wool will stand a lot of stress and strain. Synthetic and plant based fabrics do not felt as the underlying cell structure is different. If the system Hymer may used tweed type fabrics in the past with no problems then changed and you see the result :(

This goes into fibre cell stucture in more detail:

Broken Link Removed

WAG2CRU

Free Member
May 31, 2012
Argyll
Funster No
MH
Exp
since2012
That might still be happy to talk to you but I thought Brownhills had lost the Hymer dealership?

They are no longer Hymer Dealers but, still hold large stocks of Hymer spares and are still very much in contact with Hymer, although I bought through one of the new dealers and have the hab servicing done by another, if I want to know anything or need spares, experience has taught me to phone Brownhills! In fact the spares guys still wear Hymer logo's.

WAG2CRU

Free Member
May 31, 2012
Argyll
Funster No
MH
Exp
since2012
I will see what I can do.

P1290047.JPG

Although on the other side we have the same as you but no problem with it whatsoever.

P1290049.JPG

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
On our current van the side sofa back is held on the same way only had the van 7 months, just had a look no signs at all of the fabric tearing , probably only taken it off a few times when doing wiring mods.
Last van same fixing had it for nearly 6 years again no problems, sofa back would have only been taken off 2 or 3 times a year though.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
So in effect they are like flat stubbled scrubbing brushes with sharp stubble! Of course they will keep 'nibbling' away at the material and are a stupid way to fix cushions that are going to flex as you travel, thus encouraging them to 'nibble' even more! The best thing would be to get some normal Velcro pads and sew/stick them on in more appropriate places an remove the stupid plastic things before they 'eat' right through! If you have a Boyes department store near you try them as they have all sorts of haberdashery materials.

OP
OP
Valkman

Valkman

Free Member
Apr 11, 2013
United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
5 years
View attachment 53091

Although on the other side we have the same as you but no problem with it whatsoever.

View attachment 53092
Thank you for the photos that brilliant. I bought a roll of 100mm wide fluffy Velcro off fleabay and am having it sewn across the back and bottom cushions. Should pick up on Friday when done and will post up results after....

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back