Any Sugestions Besides Burn It (1 Viewer)

Sweet Chariot

Free Member
Sep 30, 2007
Staffordshire Moorlands
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2006
My laptop started to play up some weeks ago and it has gradually deterioated to such a state that I carried out a system Restore. I have now come to carry this out again as the last restore did not put it at a point I required and now System Restore just opens up on a blank page.
It is running on Windows XP and Internet Explorer. To indicate how erratic it has become Mcafee is shown in my programes but apart from looking under the control panal (Instal delete it is no where else to be seen and is not running.I have an external hard drive which i fortunateley backed up some days ago but when i connect this Windows shows error and will not let it run. Any sugestions around any quality free software which you have used to repair Windows XP I would be grateful.It will not even allow me to include any smilies on this thread. Or as I have just tried check spelling.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Hi

I'm probably the last person who should give advice ... had more than enough problems of my own.. but, if it were me I would do a reformat and a fresh install of XP and forget trying to repair it.

Mrs Munchie

Funster
Jan 3, 2008
Champagnac-La-Riviere
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2004
My laptop started to play up some weeks ago and it has gradually deterioated to such a state that I carried out a system Restore. I have now come to carry this out again as the last restore did not put it at a point I required and now System Restore just opens up on a blank page.
It is running on Windows XP and Internet Explorer. To indicate how erratic it has become Mcafee is shown in my programes but apart from looking under the control panal (Instal delete it is no where else to be seen and is not running.I have an external hard drive which i fortunateley backed up some days ago but when i connect this Windows shows error and will not let it run. Any sugestions around any quality free software which you have used to repair Windows XP I would be grateful.It will not even allow me to include any smilies on this thread. Or as I have just tried check spelling.

Some problems can remain when using "system restore" save as much essential info from your pooter as possible then re format it using the original disc. This gets rid of any unwanted bumf and takes pooter back to the day you bought it. Assuming there are no hardware problems. ::bigsmile:

To reformat put in original disc, shut down then restart and boot from disc. Do not "repair" rather format disc (all info will be lost) then re install windows. :thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Are you in a position to do a complete re-format of the hard drive then re-install windows ?

It's often the only way with windows.

It all depends on you having all the software on CDs or floppies.

If you are sending messages here with it then it's 99.99% working from a hardware point of view.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
My advice after getting your machine up and running is to take a disk-image. We all know how our machines zip along when new and then slowly grind to a halt. :cry:

When your machine is flying, take a disk image using Acronis, it takes just a few minutes. Acronis takes an exact image of your disk that you can restore at any time. All you need to do is keep a regular back up of "my documents" which of course you do anyway right?:Cool:

Then when later you feel like your hard drive is running in porridge you can restore the image in minutes and your machine is literally as good as new and as fast as it ever was.

It just so happens that that Motorhome Fun is an Affiliate for "Reg Now" which consistently provides software cheaper than anywhere else, so if you buy it from this link MotorhomeFun earns a fiver.:thumb: The link is here Link Removed

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Hi,

As Jim has said, the easiest way is to back up all the data to another HDD (I use an external usb HDD) and format and reinstall the complete drive (Assuming you have all the CD/DVDs.)

There's a great range of tools >>>Here<<<

There's a very Valuable tool called >>>DriverMax.<<<

Run it on the laptop first and it will let you save and export all the drivers currently installed on the laptop.

Then you can load it on the newly installed drive and choose which ones to import back.

Download >>>Belarc<<< and save the results to a usb pen drive.

It gives you all the serial numbers you might need later.

Another one is Systeminfo >>>HERE<<< Handy if you lose or forget a password too.:winky:

This can save a LOT of time as long as the fault isn't a driver issue.

Good Luck.:thumb:

Steve.

Last edited:

Mrs Munchie

Funster
Jan 3, 2008
Champagnac-La-Riviere
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2004
Hi,

As Jim has said, the easiest way is to back up all the data to another HDD (I use an external usb HDD) and format and reinstall the complete drive (Assuming you have all the CD/DVDs.)

There's a great range of tools >>>Here<<<

There's a very Valuable tool called >>>DriverMax.<<<

Run it on the laptop first and it will let you save and export all the drivers currently installed on the laptop.

Then you can load it on the newly installed drive and choose which ones to import back.

Download >>>Belarc<<< and save the results to a usb pen drive.

It gives you all the serial numbers you might need later.

Another one is Systeminfo >>>HERE<<< Handy if you lose or forget a password too.:winky:

This can save a LOT of time as long as the fault isn't a driver issue.

Good Luck.:thumb:

Steve.

I have to confess I'm a bit confused here. If you "copy" your hard drive then transfer it all back after re formatting are you not transferring the problem back? I would suggest re formatting, install all drivers and programmes then copy the drive for future use.::bigsmile:

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Sorry,I wasn't too clear on that part.

Copy all your data to DVD or usb HDD.You are correct is stating that if ALL data is restored you'll be back to the stage where you are now.

Never restore the registry unless you know 100% it is ok.

Totally reformat the drive and reinstall.

Image points of the config can be made at any stage where the lappie is performing ok.Ensuring that any antivirus is installed and working prior to connection to the internet.

Personal data can then be reinstalled back to the users My Documents area.The same with users .pst outlook files or other email.

Image only the known-good drive after it has been scanned for Virus' and Malware.

Last edited:

Mrs Munchie

Funster
Jan 3, 2008
Champagnac-La-Riviere
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2004
Thanks for the clarification. What I do is when the machine is up and running "clean" I only put programmes on the "c" drive all my other docs, pictures n stuff is put onto an external drive, I find this keeps the machine running better for longer. In saying that, I still reformatt around once a year (job for a rainy day) as all versions of Windows "bloat" over time. :thumb:

ginge61

Free Member
Oct 29, 2007
n/wales
Funster No
MH
c class/t25 vw
Exp
since noah was a lad lol
hi try this clik start small box opens on the bottom of the boxis a symbol with run on it click that opens another box which says misconfig if i rember click that and then ok it

start
look for run and click
enter misconfig
then ok or run

soz a bit vague but now on vista will check pc with xp but has it written down that way :thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back