Free Member
Aug 19, 2011
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 997M Auto
Exp
Virtually none ! :)
Hi all, I wondered if someone could advise if the bulbs in the circular ceiling lights in my Rapido 997m are G4's?
They just push in with the two wires going into the holder.

I have ordered one of these to try Broken Link Removed

Anyone advise if they are the right ones or suggest any better?

Thanks

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Since 2011, previously a tugger
I cannot say for your particular vehicle, but if they are spot or ceiling lights and the current halogen bulb is fitted from the side, then they are probably correct. There are numerous posts on here concerning LED's from ebay that are well worth reading through before you buy many more LED's

After getting a few from ebay, I now get them from here and would recommend them, a little more expensive but easier to source the correct bulb and you know, hopefully a reputable source. Dave

http://www.jmgoods.co.uk/acatalog/G4_LED_Bulbs.html

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
You should probably remove one of your existing lamps and look at it if you aren't sure.

G4 is a standard type fitting so if the LEDs look the same basic size and shape as the existing lamps they will fit. The only issue you may possibly have is with the transformers. Some of them need a minimum load to work. This is usually quoted it watts, so if you can see stamped on the transformer 20-50W for example then the transformer will only function with a minimum load of 20 watts which an LED lamp won't be close to. If the transformer is marked 0-50W or similar then it will work. The 0W minimum is the important bit.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
There is someone who attends the shows that sells LEDs and the like this might be him:

http://ledlights4you.co.uk/

but I'm not sure - actually looking at the website I don't think it is......

Anyway if you go to a show I am sure he would advise.

Upvote 0
Nov 2, 2014
Maldon Essex
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Ebay Item 151349749382 9SMD 2.5W fitted these to my van and a friends van work well and 5.99 for 10

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
You should probably remove one of your existing lamps and look at it if you aren't sure.

G4 is a standard type fitting so if the LEDs look the same basic size and shape as the existing lamps they will fit. The only issue you may possibly have is with the transformers. Some of them need a minimum load to work. This is usually quoted it watts, so if you can see stamped on the transformer 20-50W for example then the transformer will only function with a minimum load of 20 watts which an LED lamp won't be close to. If the transformer is marked 0-50W or similar then it will work. The 0W minimum is the important bit.
No offense but what are you on about?

These are a direct replacement 12v lamp for G4 fittings...there are no transformers.

If used in a domestic installation (household) then yes, that may need a transformer to drop 230vac to 12vdv

Upvote 0
OP
OP
jaykay

jaykay

Free Member
Aug 19, 2011
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 997M Auto
Exp
Virtually none ! :)
Ebay Item 151349749382 9SMD 2.5W fitted these to my van and a friends van work well and 5.99 for 10
Look like the one I ordered to try, so should be ok. If it is I will order the lot, thanks.

Upvote 0

Wickolad

Free Member
Sep 10, 2013
Wickersley
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Newbie to MH, 20yrs+ Caravanning.
I fitted G4 LED bulbs identical to the ones jaykay has enquired about, but sourced on ebay 10x for about £5 free delivery. I fitted them into the ceiling lights of a coachman caravan I had at the time. They worked a treat, however I did find they are +ve -ve sensitive.
When you fit the bulb into the light fitting, if the LED bulb does not appear to work (as I thought with a couple of the light fittings) just turn the bulb over 180 degrees and refit (LED's facing upwards) if they then illuminate, you will need to remove the fitting and reverse the +ve -ve on the light fitting.
My ceiling lights had 2x 15w halogen G4 bulbs. I had to reverse 1x fitting on each of the 5x ceiling lights in the van.
Just something to be aware of rather than thinking you have bought duff bulbs. :)

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
No offense but what are you on about?

These are a direct replacement 12v lamp for G4 fittings...there are no transformers.

If used in a domestic installation (household) then yes, that may need a transformer to drop 230vac to 12vdv

Ooops sorry. I somehow forgot that in a MH the lighting is 12v. :doh: My post would apply in a domestic situation where the supply is 230v.

Can we call it a senior moment and move on (y):whistle:

Upvote 0

treetops1

Free Member
Feb 25, 2013
yorkshire/ lincolnshire.
Funster No
MH
Sold last van-
Exp
a long time,since 1996
Hi jaykay, I fitted those same led lamps a couple of years ago ,they work very well only needed to change one since fitting them .go for it lol.

Upvote 0

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Ignore any doom mongers who come onto this thread saying avoid cheap LEDs!

The one you bought will be fine.
In fact these days, over a quid each is a rip off!

We have never had a cheap LED replacement fail yet.

Upvote 0
Nov 2, 2014
Maldon Essex
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
The first G4 LEDs I got from Ebay got very hot and turned black the ones in my last post have beed left on for 10 hours and seem ok 10 hhours on a test rig

Upvote 0

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Since 2011, previously a tugger
When you fit the bulb into the light fitting, if the LED bulb does not appear to work (as I thought with a couple of the light fittings) just turn the bulb over 180 degrees and refit (LED's facing upwards) if they then illuminate, you will need to remove the fitting and reverse the +ve -ve on the light fitting.
My ceiling lights had 2x 15w halogen G4 bulbs. I had to reverse 1x fitting on each of the 5x ceiling lights in the van.
Just something to be aware of rather than thinking you have bought duff bulbs. :)

Could this +ve -ve be the reason 4 single pole bayonet LED bulbs I got just the other day don't work? I have bit of an old fashioned set up in the loo. 4 individual bulb holders, silver back to reflect light and a cover that gives appearance of a strip light. Can't see anyway easy to reverse them though?

Upvote 0

nospamandy

Free Member
Apr 4, 2011
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Not yet - soon I hope
Exp
In my mind - forever
You can always use a battery or charger to connect the bulbs to find their polarity (positive and negative) and prove they work or not. Two bulbs supplied in a batch of 10 were defective. Fortunately I tested the bulb rather than ripping out light fittings.
Sometimes it's nice to avoid the stress.

Andy

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back