Mark5204

Free Member
Jan 20, 2015
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Swift
Exp
Hi just a long shot really. Are there any members in Bristol area with a 54 Swift Kontiki that would be willing to give us a tuition on how things work and advice on draining down waste water etc. Complete novice.

joncris

Free Member
Jan 11, 2011
Where it matters
Funster No
MH
Rimor Katamarano 12p +
Exp
Hi Mark
I'm sure if you search the forum you'll find lots of info regarding your MH
There is a section which covers MH's both British & European

Upvote 0

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
You'd also need to say which model Kon Tiki, different layouts have things in different places.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Just looked that up. The layout is very similar to our Sundance 630L. If ever you find yourself in the Dorset area, I may be able to help you. (y)

Upvote 0
Nov 2, 2014
somerset
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Mark I think yours is similar to my bessycar I live in bridgwater if your down this way , just ask loads of quetions on here they will get answered im still new to mine, You will get help on here regards steve

Upvote 0

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
Of course lay outs vary from van to van-but there are basic principles as with most techy things.
Finding where things are can be tedious but great fun :LOL:
Do you have any specific queries ?
Mike

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Mark5204

Mark5204

Free Member
Jan 20, 2015
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Swift
Exp
Mark I think yours is similar to my bessycar I live in bridgwater if your down this way , just ask loads of quetions on here they will get answered im still new to mine, You will get help on here regards steve
Thank-you very much Steve. We are picking it up slowly . hope you are enjoying your bessecar lovely MH.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Mark5204

Mark5204

Free Member
Jan 20, 2015
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Swift
Exp
Of course lay outs vary from van to van-but there are basic principles as with most techy things.
Finding where things are can be tedious but great fun :LOL:
Do you have any specific queries ?
Mike
We are getting there slowly. Sorted one or two issues out.

Upvote 0
Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
We learned the hard way. (Kontiki 650) Filled with water then noticed river below, ah yes, lift carpets then trap door and insert rubber drain bung into fresh water tank. Now full but no water from taps but river below, oh yes, lift carpets and trap door and flick drain plug off. Tested fridge on 240v, didn't work, read book, my model has separate wall switch it tells me, no it doesn't, is it the one in this cupboard behind these bottles wife asks?
How do I get parking lights? Put side lights on but go off with ignition. Asked here and had reply in minutes. You press in button below key and key goes anti-clockwise one extra click, then remove key!
The fridge fan never worked, but then in France when it went over 30c it did! Ah I see why now.

Enjoy

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Mark5204

Mark5204

Free Member
Jan 20, 2015
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Swift
Exp
We are getting there slowly. Sorted one or two issues out.
We learned the hard way. (Kontiki 650) Filled with water then noticed river below, ah yes, lift carpets then trap door and insert rubber drain bung into fresh water tank. Now full but no water from taps but river below, oh yes, lift carpets and trap door and flick drain plug off. Tested fridge on 240v, didn't work, read book, my model has separate wall switch it tells me, no it doesn't, is it the one in this cupboard behind these bottles wife asks?
How do I get parking lights? Put side lights on but go off with ignition. Asked here and had reply in minutes. You press in button below key and key goes anti-clockwise one extra click, then remove key!
The fridge fan never worked, but then in France when it went over 30c it did! Ah I see why now.

Enjoy
lol. Couldn't have put it better myself. Not tried filling water tank yet.... Or draining waste water. I agree handbook not very useful for a novice.
Thank-you for parking light tip didn't realise that. I had noticed all lighting goes out with ignition off. Will be trying that in the dark tonight. Have fun very useful advice too. Thanks

Last edited:
Upvote 0

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
lol. Couldn't have put it better myself. Not tried filling water tank yet.... Or draining waste water. I agree handbook not very useful for a novice.
Thank-you for parking light tip didn't realise that. I had noticed all lighting goes out with ignition off. Will be trying that in the dark tonight. Have fun very useful advice too. Thanks
In 6 yrs I've never had occasion to use parking lights :) So,I would have to find out how to :LOL:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Mark5204

Mark5204

Free Member
Jan 20, 2015
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Swift
Exp
Lol. I only thought of it when we collected MH. Stopped at shops in dark and all lighting went out. Couldn't get lights to stay on at all.

Upvote 0

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
Oh BTW,when you're filling tank listen for sounds of water coming out below van:) Boiler auto-dump valve could be open in this weather.
Similarly when you've bled water system and got it all working,have a look underneath just in case.

Upvote 0
Nov 2, 2014
somerset
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
yeh i had same with fridge switch and also mark make sure cooker lid is right back or cooker wont work isolation switch is there regards steve

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Mark5204

Mark5204

Free Member
Jan 20, 2015
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Swift
Exp
Oh BTW,when you're filling tank listen for sounds of water coming out below van:) Boiler auto-dump valve could be open in this weather.
Similarly when you've bled water system and got it all working,have a look underneath just in case.
Lol what's the boiler dump valve. I have a lot to learn.

Upvote 0

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
Lol what's the boiler dump valve. I have a lot to learn.
Most boilers have a valve which opens when temp drops and there's a risk of freezing-I think it's around 5-8 deg.
Valve will be usually adjacent to boiler and would need resetting if it trips-I have clamped mine in open position.and am very carefull when temp drops.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Mark5204

Mark5204

Free Member
Jan 20, 2015
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Swift
Exp
Most boilers have a valve which opens when temp drops and there's a risk of freezing-I think it's around 5-8 deg.
Valve will be usually adjacent to boiler and would need resetting if it trips-I have clamped mine in open position.and am very carefull when temp drops.
oh okay. Thank-you something else to look for tomorrow..list is getting longer lol

Upvote 0

MikeandCarolyn

Free Member
Mar 18, 2008
Worle,North Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2009
Here's a couple of pics of truma dump valve on my LMC (same year)
Valve is closed when red knob is up .
Dump Valve (Copy).jpg
Dump Valve-1 (Copy).jpg

Upvote 0

Photo4x4

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Scottish Highlands
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt with over cab
Exp
We purchased our Bessacarr E495 in July last year and I'm still learning!

One of the problems is that the owner's manuals tend to be generic and not everything in the MH is exactly the same as the manual so don't worry about being a bit confused or overwhelmed Mark.

When we first got our MH I was going through the 'setting-up' procedure but couldn't get the gas to work on the stove. I did everything the manual says and I even had my brother-in-law, an experienced caravaner, take a look, however no joy. I then telephoned the technician at the dealership where we purchased it.

I was about to go and buy a new gas cylinder when I decided to read the manual again for the umpteenth time. This time I noticed that it said "Push in the control knob (on the cooker) and turn to full rate..." (my italics). Bingo, on came the cooker!

When you think about it they operate this way so you can't accidentally turn on the gas.

The 'quick start guide' tells you to "Press ignitor on hob, turn one burner control to 'ON' and depress that control." Which is the opposite way to what the owner's manual says, I suppose that it works either way but when you are new to this and are a bit overwhelmed it can be rather confusing.

Either way I missed the bit about pushing in the knob. Doh! My only compensation is the my B-I-L missed this as well.

Anyway Mark I have found that the quick start guide is a great help in 'setting-up' and is in general easier to read than ploughing through the manual. After you have done it a couple of times it becomes second nature.

Happy holidays, you are in good company!

Keith Hart

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back