Speed Limits over 3.05 tonnes (1 Viewer)

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
That is 3.05 tonnes UNLADEN.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
That is 3.05 tonnes UNLADEN.

That's right. Trying to find the true unladen weight can be a bit of a chore. Best not to take the risk if your van is plated as over 3.5 tonnes and in any case, you don't get there much earlier driving a little more slowly but will certainly save quite a bit of fuel

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Of course, there aren't many coachbuilts and A classes under 3.05 tonnes unladen these days!
Especially if you don't believe the optimistic manufacturer's figures and visit a weighbridge!

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
Single Carriageways: 50mph
Dual Carriageways: 60mph
Motorways: 70mph

Why would anyone owning a MH want to be going faster than the speeds above!!!!! - The whole idea of owning a MH is to enjoy life, not speeding from A to Z as fast as you can. Enough said.

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
As a side note, I have my speed limiter set to 62mph so I don't get near to 70 even on the motorway. I find that gives me excellent fuel economy. (well excellent for a 4 tonne motorhome that is).

dickieo

Free Member
Oct 12, 2012
Cantoria . Spain .
Funster No
MH
Coach Built .
Exp
Two Years ...
Have been passed on the Autovia.s here at speeds the Starship Enterprise would be proud of , ( and it is mainly UK registered M H ) There is no need to drive fast anywhere , you will get there in the end !

hdvrod

Free Member
Dec 27, 2011
devon
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since jan 2011
Fifty suits me and usually pulling a trailer anyway.

54mud

Free Member
Sep 18, 2009
Stone, Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
24 on and off
Had me worried for a bit there. Thought I have been speeding all this time (on the single and dual carriageways) when I saw those speed limits. But now having read it again, it is over 3.05t UNLADEN and my m/h weighed in at 2.8t when it was finished and empty,and is just under 3.5t when full. So I can legally speed along at 61 mph on dual carriageways.

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
Like 50 to 55 most of the time.. But when things get "scenic" its VERY ssssllllloooooowww !
And then stop !!
I also get 28 mpg.. Measured over 6,000 miles, but I do watch the "MPG readout" on the dash a lot more than the speedo !! It gives a very good "feel" for how far down your foot should be on the loud pedal, when coupled to engine noise.. ((Back to truck driving days )) I think the Euro 6 engine is a "Tad" more economical than the Euro 5 was..
OOOOps ! I have got totally side tracked from the original jist of the thread.. SORRY !!
Still.. It is "Chat" !! :LOL: Mitch.

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
@Jim I've seen a lot of these threads recently.. I wonder if one of them should be made sticky.. seems many many people don't know about the speed limits and it would be helpful especially to new members if it was made obvious to them .

I am increasingly amazed by the stuff salespeople don't tell you when you buy a vehicle..

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
@Jim I've seen a lot of these threads recently.. I wonder if one of them should be made sticky.. seems many many people don't know about the speed limits and it would be helpful especially to new members if it was made obvious to them .

I am increasingly amazed by the stuff salespeople don't tell you when you buy a vehicle..

I'm sorry, but if you don't know about the speed limits of the vehicle you are driving you should NOT be on the road - you are a danger to me and other drivers PERIOD.

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
I'm sorry, but if you don't know about the speed limits of the vehicle you are driving you should NOT be on the road - you are a danger to me and other drivers PERIOD.

I can't agree with that. My campervan currently has a speed limit of 50mph. When I finally get it reregistered as a motor caravan it will have a speed limit of 60mph (on extra urban single carriageway roads) so ... What has changed? Why is it dangerous to drive it at 60mph now, but having completed some paperwork it is safe? If I didn't know it had a lower speed limit and adhered to the higher one, why would that be more dangerous than if the reregistration was already complete?

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
I can't agree with that. My campervan currently has a speed limit of 50mph. When I finally get it reregistered as a motor caravan it will have a speed limit of 60mph (on extra urban single carriageway roads) so ... What has changed? Why is it dangerous to drive it at 60mph now, but having completed some paperwork it is safe? If I didn't know it had a lower speed limit and adhered to the higher one, why would that be more dangerous than if the reregistration was already complete?

but YOU KNOW YOUR speed limits for your MH ( when you register it ) and currently for your camper van.

ENOUGH said

Bobby22

Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 680ff
Exp
since 2013
Your "campervan" is currently a van and not a motorcaravan which are two very different vehicles. Van drivers are often caught out with speed limits.

Regards your post to Jim about speed limits.....it's not his nor the forum's duty to advise or confuse....best to know ones self.

Threads like this should be enough to have motorhomers make themselves familiar with the speed limit for their own particular vehicle.

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
We don't half get a long queue behind on a single carriageway road. The road to Inverness has a terrible record of car crashes when driver try and overtake lorries that are following the limit. How can a slower limit be safer it is just a bureaucratic move the limit for all road should be 56 for lorries and not dependent on what what class of road outside built up areas. In real life it probably is.

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
We don't half get a long queue behind on a single carriageway road. The road to Inverness has a terrible record of car crashes when driver try and overtake lorries that are following the limit. How can a slower limit be safer it is just a bureaucratic move the limit for all road should be 56 for lorries and not dependent on what what class of road outside built up areas. In real life it probably is.

The A74 to Stranraer is a prime example of this. My brother was driving artics for the Post Office, restricted to 40 mph on this road, causing a mobile roadblock, then nearly getting into a punch up at the ferry terminal with Irish wagon drivers who think the limit doesn't apply to them, not to mention the suicide jockeys trying to get past at any opportunity.

John & Joan

Free Member
Mar 30, 2010
Darlington
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
10 years this time
We have no problem when abroad. Drivers are patient (even HGVs) and will stay behind if there is a solid white line even if it looks OK ahead no matter what our speed is. Drivers respect the law.

In the UK drivers have little regard for the law or speed limits and will push and overtake in inappropriate places even crossing hatching and double white line to do so.

Time for the UK to slow down a bit. Lorry speed are the same abroad or in the UK so why the impatience over here.

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
I like cruising at 50 MPH ............ I find that this speed stops me from catching up other vehicles and allows the trucks to overtake me easily instead of sitting 'on my tail'. Also I get excellent economy (37 to 45 mpg).

'Cruise control' ............. easy drive, low stress (y)

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Have been passed on the Autovia.s here at speeds the Starship Enterprise would be proud of , ( and it is mainly UK registered M H ) There is no need to drive fast anywhere , you will get there in the end !

I found the same on the motorways in the UK.

The A74 to Stranraer is a prime example of this. My brother was driving artics for the Post Office, restricted to 40 mph on this road, causing a mobile roadblock, then nearly getting into a punch up at the ferry terminal with Irish wagon drivers who think the limit doesn't apply to them, not to mention the suicide jockeys trying to get past at any opportunity.

Same on the North Devon link road.
Never understoofd why they have multiple speed limits for different vehicles on the same road. You can obviously only go at the speed of the slowest so leading to stress , frustration , etc.
Why reduce the speed limit of coaches to the EU level & still allow them to use the third or fourth lane ?
Personally I think that it is all done to increase "fines " revenue & no other reason.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back