Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
Took the MoHo for its first birthday hab' check today and on arrival at the dealership, was duly shown to the 'hostility' suite to wait and raid the complimentary beverage machine.

Whilst waiting, I got into conversation with a really nice gent - also waiting for his check to be done. We both paced like expectant fathers. He said he quite fancied going abroad and so we whiled away the time chatting about France and all sorts including tolls, places to visit, Aires etc etc. He asked how trips were planned and I found myself jabbering away without realising how much I'd learned in such a small time. Sounded good to me anyway :D

Another chap came in with a camper that had waterworks problems. After a conflab and walk-around with a technician, he admitted that despite having the camper for some time, he didn't realise that it had a water pump under a trap door! Shame really because it was really costly for the fellah to have the simple pump replaced.

In addition, his missus had been driven mad for months by a dripping monoblock tap. Due to the age of his van, he had a domestic type tap assembly that could easily be fixed, but admitted again that he'd never "got down on his knees to look". I opened my trap again and more 'advice' flowed. I thought that ALL motorhomers were experts; apparently not!

Sooo, they thought I was an expert. Hardly! It's really all thanks to Motorhome Fun and those threads that cover everything from a tap washer to why you tilt your awning when it rains!

Of course, I directed them to the MHF website; something else they knew nothing about.

davejen

Free Member
Aug 21, 2008
Preston
Funster No
MH
Given up travelling
Exp
Since 1992
I know we can't all know everything about everything but it amazes me sometimes at the questions some people ask , after spending (usually) many thousands of hard-earned on a motorhome or whatever, and don't know a jot about the workings of such item. maybe they have plenty of dosh to get it sorted by "professionals" and it doesn't matter....
Just my thoughts....
Cheers, Dave(y)

Mel

Free Member
Oct 6, 2012
De Haan Belgium
Funster No
MH
Caravan LMC
Exp
Since 2010 Caravan since 1995
We are all experts at something to do with motorhomes.
The great thing about Fun is we can all tap in to the other experts on here.
And nobody thinks your question is stupid.
You are never belittled for asking anything.
And when we help a fellow motorhomer its because we found out on here what the answer was.(so we always appear to know the answer and then they buy the drinks)

Mel

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
I know we can't all know everything about everything but it amazes me sometimes at the questions some people ask , after spending (usually) many thousands of hard-earned on a motorhome or whatever, and don't know a jot about the workings of such item. maybe they have plenty of dosh to get it sorted by "professionals" and it doesn't matter....
Just my thoughts....
Cheers, Dave(y)
No one is an expert on everything. We all have our areas of ignorance.

And I should know!:rolleyes:

OP
OP
wingman

wingman

Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
Yeah. I've been a drip under pressure many times :D

Like @davejen, it just amazed me how anyone could pay all that money and not know much. I forgot to say that the guy with the camper only used it twice last year!

Jack Russel

Free Member
Feb 16, 2013
Stockport
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
We would love some advice from any of the experts.
We have a self build transit (I will get around to a photo, honest) registered as a motorhome. We are about to renew our insurance and plan to travel France + Spain in the late summer. But getting at least 180 days EU cover including up to 10K miles with occasional commuting until we go seems to be a big ask.
Any suggestions gratefully received.
Alex + Sandra

Traveller_HA5_3DOM

Free Member
Jul 13, 2012
Following the Sun
Funster No
MH
Hobby Premium 65GE
Exp
since 1985
I think we could get away with a smaller van if I was prepared to travel without any tools and wire, connectors,adhesives and spares.

Traveller_HA5_3DOM

Free Member
Jul 13, 2012
Following the Sun
Funster No
MH
Hobby Premium 65GE
Exp
since 1985
We would love some advice from any of the experts.
We have a self build transit (I will get around to a photo, honest) registered as a motorhome. We are about to renew our insurance and plan to travel France + Spain in the late summer. But getting at least 180 days EU cover including up to 10K miles with occasional commuting until we go seems to be a big ask.
Any suggestions gratefully received.
Alex + Sandra
Just wait until you try to insure your house and contents for over 60 days unoccupancy!!

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
>> I'm an expert (apparently)!

You can fool some of the people some of the time.........

Reactions: GJH

Nel

Free Member
Sep 24, 2014
Peebles
Funster No
MH
auto-cruise alto
Exp
off and on since 2005
Ok @ wingman. Do u know what a choledocalduodenostomy is? Can you type with your eyes shut? We all have to learn. then again I can just ask here.

OP
OP
wingman

wingman

Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
Thanks all (and particularly @bernardfeay for his kind comments).

True as it was, I wrote the piece tongue-in-cheek and rue the day I used the word 'Expert'. I did humbly add 'apparently' but, of course, it didn't wash with Funsters!

I know from my medical days that an 'ostomy' is an opening (as opposed to an 'otomy' which is to cut or incise). And no, I didn't look it up! As to the rest of the condition, it sounds bloody painful!

Spelling? Well, I'm a product of a 60's education. All those spellings brought home from school in a tabacco tin for me to learn obviously paid off!

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2014
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Eldis Majestic 115
Exp
Vans and tugs since mid 70's
emm...................Tobacco is a plant within the genus Nicotiana of the Solanaceae (nightshade) family:):):)

Feb 8, 2014
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Eldis Majestic 115
Exp
Vans and tugs since mid 70's
sorry, typed my comment too quickly following my nicotine withdrawal:(

Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+
It's still a bit like DIY? You read the instructions, or read the brilliant advise on Fun but if you happen to be born with the inability to hold a screwdriver or whatever you still make an absolute b******ks of it and have to get the experts in, not me I hasten to add but it's suprising how many people cannot do simple practical tasks.

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
It's still a bit like DIY? You read the instructions, or read the brilliant advise on Fun but if you happen to be born with the inability to hold a screwdriver or whatever you still make an absolute b******ks of it and have to get the experts in, not me I hasten to add but it's suprising how many people cannot do simple practical tasks.

I can't cut wood straight with a jigsaw.. I've never learnt to weld. Those are supposedly simple things..

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
I can't cut wood straight with a jigsaw.. I've never learnt to weld. Those are supposedly simple things..
Welding and working with metal I'm ok at
When it comes to wood I'm completely useless

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
my son has told me to leave his tools alone. they don't have instructions on them.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
my son has told me to leave his tools alone. they don't have instructions on them.
If you need instructions for his hammer its proly good advice :whistle2::rofl::rofl:

Jack Russel

Free Member
Feb 16, 2013
Stockport
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
We have found room for the tools etc and even the dog! See the picture. No it isn't a cigar in her mouth, just a bone.
I will check our house insurance for the small print on unoccupancy.

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
It's still a bit like DIY? You read the instructions, or read the brilliant advise on Fun but if you happen to be born with the inability to hold a screwdriver or whatever you still make an absolute b******ks of it and have to get the experts in, not me I hasten to add but it's surprising how many people cannot do simple practical tasks.
This is me to a tee :crying:.

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
I've picked up a lot of great hints and tips on this forum, thanks to a lot of Funsters, but still have a lot of learning to do. Funnily enough, I have spoken to quite a few motorhomers and tuggers on our travels over the past three years and have been asked questions.......I even surprised myself as I knew the answers:LOL:

It's amazing what knowledge can be picked on this forum and from chatting to other motorhome owners along the way. It's always a nice feeling to think that you have managed to help someone in some small way. I learnt a lot from a full-timer who was pitched across from us last week.

However, I recently overheard a conversation between two men at the disposal point. One had bought his van from a show at the NEC recently and he said to the other guy......."This was just the thing I wanted, I could always see myself in one of these.......but nobody told me I needed to empty the tanks like this"!:(

I wondered to myself it this would have made any difference to him buying the van or not.......

Bill

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
as a plumber i can tell you its not just motor homes some people have absolutly no idea about any of the services in their home
and many have no intention of ever learning these are the same people who get the hump when i charge them an hour to switch the spur back on or change a fuse
my stock answer now is you dont pay me for an hours work your paying for 40 years of learning

Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+
It's not just tools, and not always but mainly young people today cannot even hold a " Sweeping Brush " correctly!!!! In other words they can't even sweep up its as though they are holding something completely alien to them and cannot fathom how to operate it. Unbelievable,but true,we're doomed.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back