Jan 18, 2015
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Shank's Pony
Exp
Bad
Hi,
I am expecting delivery of my new MH in March and would appreciate some advice.
The MH will be parked/stored at my business premises which is on an electronically gated industrial estate, locked inside my unit which is covered by 24 hour internal and external cctv.
I will at times be using it to travel to and from work, by virtue of the fact I will be taking it away via my home (to load up) and vice-versa, so may well require business use on my policy.
Which companies offer this cover?
That's the first question, more to follow on this subject.
Thank you all in advance.
Spud.

joncris

Free Member
Jan 11, 2011
Where it matters
Funster No
MH
Rimor Katamarano 12p +
Exp
We use our MH because my BH works away from home for 3 days per week. I go with her because I'm disabled and being my principal carer she prefers that I be there with her. The DWP, HMRC and our insurers know this and our insurers have never asked that we include business cover.

Kool Kroozer

Free Member
Apr 19, 2014
Cannock Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hobby Premium
Exp
Always learning
Try getting a quote from "Advance Insurance " of all the quotes we had they offered us the best deal and i didn't have to surrender any of my no claims to insure the MH (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

jaykay

Free Member
Aug 19, 2011
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 997M Auto
Exp
Virtually none ! :)
I have just insured first motorhome through Safeguard (part of Swinton) and found them great value after a bit of haggling.

Wickolad

Free Member
Sep 10, 2013
Wickersley
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Newbie to MH, 20yrs+ Caravanning.
Unless you are driving it in the course of your business, i would have thought you would just require cover to include To and From place of work. I don't think this increases cost of policy but would be worth checking. Business use will no doubt be a substantial increase.

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
safeguard / swinton and comfort insurance are 2 worth a try both good cover through Alianz and Aviva

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
what you described is social domestic and pleasure plus commuting. shouldn't increase your premium. I would be more concerned that the need for a gated compound at your storage choice indicates higher than normal risk

OP
OP
Spud

Spud

Free Member
Jan 18, 2015
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Shank's Pony
Exp
Bad
Thankyou all for your responses.
Having once met a quite officious Road Traffic Officer, I was duly informed (rightly or wrongly?) that my insurance, giving me cover for social, domestic & pleasure use, did not allow me to use it to get to & from work and we all know that the small print is where all insurance company's make their money!
I have now had a couple of quotes. Surprisingly having the MH parked on my drive in full view is less than half the cost (I could only get one company to quote) of it being parked in a very secure unit, all be it in group 3 of the postcodes (4 being the worst).
Spud

Feb 13, 2017
Newcastle
Funster No
MH
2007 N-B Arto 69 EGB
Exp
I'm a newbie
Try getting a quote from "Advance Insurance " of all the quotes we had they offered us the best deal and i didn't have to surrender any of my no claims to insure the MH (y)
Just curious - were you happy with Advance? They are coming cheapest quote for us at the moment...

Kool Kroozer

Free Member
Apr 19, 2014
Cannock Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hobby Premium
Exp
Always learning
Yes, never had any problems with them at all, even their 2nd yr renewel price was cheaper than anyone else - even when we told them the MH was not being kept in a secured gold award storage compound anymore, but on the drive at home - no price change at all... It was only when we changed vans the renewel price went up by around £100, Saga then offered us the same policy with the same price as our smaller older van so we went with them.

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Thankyou all for your responses.
Having once met a quite officious Road Traffic Officer, I was duly informed (rightly or wrongly?) that my insurance, giving me cover for social, domestic & pleasure use, did not allow me to use it to get to & from work and we all know that the small print is where all insurance company's make their money!
I have now had a couple of quotes. Surprisingly having the MH parked on my drive in full view is less than half the cost (I could only get one company to quote) of it being parked in a very secure unit, all be it in group 3 of the postcodes (4 being the worst).
Spud

SD&P does not cover commuting to and from work.

Most Insurance Co.s insist, (don't they all) that if you use the vehicle to commute then you must inform them. Their questioning usually involves them asking first if you have employment and then asking if the vehicle will be used to travel to and from that or other employment.
That doesn't of course excuse the superciliousness from the White Cap.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back