Mark5204

Free Member
Jan 20, 2015
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Swift
Exp
hi all. Sorry for the stupid question but just got our first MH. Today tried lighting gas ring to boil a kettle and took about half an hour to get gas to ignite. What we doing wrong. Gas in bottle and turned on.

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
I wasn't with you and don't know what type of gas hob you have but here goes.
Assuming you did eventually get the gas to light it could be that, (if you've got one), the glass cover wasn't pushed back. There is a valve attached to that (you can't see it) that prevents the gas from flowing if the lid is anything but fully back.
Here's another tip. Don't try to get the gas to light on the fridge without first purging the air out of the system first by getting the gas hob to light. The flame on the fridge is so small it takes an age for the gas to get to the exit point. Turning the hob on gets the gas to the manifold where all the master on/off switches are.

Upvote 0

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
what colour of gas bottle.. blue or red ?

in this weather you need red , propane..
blue, butane won't gas off at low temperatures.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Mark5204

Mark5204

Free Member
Jan 20, 2015
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Swift
Exp
I wasn't with you and don't know what type of gas hob you have but here goes.
Assuming you did eventually get the gas to light it could be that, (if you've got one), the glass cover wasn't pushed back. There is a valve attached to that (you can't see it) that prevents the gas from flowing if the lid is anything but fully back.
Here's another tip. Don't try to get the gas to light on the fridge without first purging the air out of the system first by getting the gas hob to light. The flame on the fridge is so small it takes an age for the gas to get to the exit point. Turning the hob on gets the gas to the manifold where all the master on/off switches are.
Thank-you very much for your reply. I will push the glass top back a further next time you see if that helps.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Mark5204

Mark5204

Free Member
Jan 20, 2015
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Swift
Exp
what colour of gas bottle.. blue or red ?

in this weather you need red , propane..
blue, butane won't gas off at low temperatures.
Hi. Our Gas bottles are yellow. It's the refillable system that you can fill in a gas station.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Mark5204

Mark5204

Free Member
Jan 20, 2015
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Swift
Exp
Silly question I know but are you holding the gas control knob in long enough for the flame failure device to work???

Hi yes we held in at one point for about two minutes. Thank-you for your response.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
I always light the job before anything else. On our caravan it did used to take ages first time out because there was a really long run of pipe from the gas bottle to the hob. On the campervan it doesn't take long.

Upvote 0

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
sounds like either you didnt know to purge the air from the pipes by holding in the knob for up to 2 minutes or the thermocouple isnt aligned properly in the flame

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back