dshague

Free Member
Aug 22, 2007
Funster No
MH
VAN CONVERSION
Exp
20 years
just changed my van .the old one had a truma hose to fill water with .left it for the new owners .
Witch standard water hose do you recommend .are the flat or flexi ones any good ? ,,,food grade or not ? filler is the round type ..thank you david

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
I have a couple of different lengths of garden hose. I can't believe that food grade is necessary if a small quantity of water is flushed through before use.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Been using green garden hose for 9 years have a couple of different lengths that'll join together if necessary.
Tried a nice expensive lay flat jobby a couple of years back didn't last 6 months.
Ended up in a nice green skip in Pickering. :)

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.

Wickolad

Free Member
Sep 10, 2013
Wickersley
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Newbie to MH, 20yrs+ Caravanning.
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I use a Blue food grade hose.
Yeah I got one of these, took me quite a while to pluck up the courage to spend 12 quid on an hose but after two garden hoses that were forever kinking , I did it and now I don't regret it

StefAndDi

Free Member
Nov 3, 2014
Near St. Austell, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ceased motorhoming 1/3/16
Exp
2010 to 2016
This subject was discussed at length on the Caravan Club forum four weeks ago.
Most contributors stated that they use ordinary garden hose.
However, one member stated that toxic chemicals are used in their manufacture and many manufacturers of garden hose warn on their packaging that the hose should not be used for drinking water.

The reason I chose to use Blue food grade hose is simple. Take a look at the hose used in the manufacture of your MH. Chances are that all fresh water pipes will be Blue. In fact, the only place you are likely to see 'ordinary' hose in a MH or caravan is the supply to the toilet flush.

Stef.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
A good quality garden hose which won't kink is what we used and have done for many years, cut into a 1/3rd and 2/3rd lengths which can be joined if needed so it covers most eventualities.

I would be cautious of the 'expanding' snake hoses as the amount of water that flows through them is quite a bit less than a standard hose as the bore is smaller, same with the ones that look like a coiled spring and also some of the flat hoses too, this means that it can take quite a bit longer to fill up your water tank as we found out once on an aire where we had to pay for water by a set amount of time rather than volume ... it cost us twice as much as everyone else to fill a smaller tank as it was so slow.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
However, one member stated that toxic chemicals are used in their manufacture and many manufacturers of garden hose warn on their packaging that the hose should not be used for drinking water.

The reason I chose to use Blue food grade hose is simple. Take a look at the hose used in the manufacture of your MH. Chances are that all fresh water pipes will be Blue. In fact, the only place you are likely to see 'ordinary' hose in a MH or caravan is the supply to the toilet flush.

Stef.
IMV the garden hose warning about not using it for drinking water is to ensure that it is NOT used for a more 'permanent' fresh water supplies such as supplying a fresh water tap on a campsite/CL as the water remains in it all the time and therefore the toxins/chemicals from the pipe could leech out into the water.

The food grade (blue) hose is used in motorhomes because it is a permanent installation and the water will sit in it all the time (except when you drain down obviously!).

The only time I would bother to use a food grade hose was if I intend to connect up to a serviced pitch where the water turned is on continuously during your stay and therefore the fresh water is in the hose for a long period of time.

When you are just filling a tank for a few minutes where the water passes through very quickly, using a standard garden hose won't have any effect on the water at all as it doesn't 'sit' in it.

Sep 10, 2013
Chelmsford Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Getting better
If all you are doing is filling the MH tank then any hose will do, simply run the water through for a few minutes prior to filling he tank. The food grade thing is all about perminant installations of potable water supplies, the time the water spends in a hose is minimal as it flows to the tanks, so contamination from the hose materials is not an issue.
Choose a hose that's easy to store and does not kink. A hose that 'fights back' is a nightmare.

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006

Stef.

We have red ones too!

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
We are in the same position as you, we've just bought one of these...

15 mt hose on a reel for under £20.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Always used to use regular garden hose, but I only use the blue food grade now after one particular garden hose imparted a rubber taint to our water that stayed in the tank till we sold the van. Never had a good cup of tea in that van again.

OP
OP
dshague

dshague

Free Member
Aug 22, 2007
Funster No
MH
VAN CONVERSION
Exp
20 years
We are in the same position as you, we've just bought one of these...

15 mt hose on a reel for under £20.
like it ..being from Yorkshire wanting to save a bob or two could buy this on a Wednesday and get 10% oap discount ....

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988

Stef.
The warning re "non food quality hose" reminds me of the warning that Cadbury's Fruit and Nut chocolate may contain nuts.

Overkill.

StefAndDi

Free Member
Nov 3, 2014
Near St. Austell, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ceased motorhoming 1/3/16
Exp
2010 to 2016

My post was not a statement of fact. Simply quoting a comment made by another party.

Last edited:

musson

Free Member
Dec 25, 2013
grantham
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
since Jan 2014
I use one of the expandable hoses and find it ok ,and it is easier to store than garden hose that i used to use.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Flat reel hose in the locker.

Standard green garden hose if filling at home.

Pamper your stomach, you'll always have problems.
treat it like yer grandma did years ago and you'll be fine.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back