MH
Timberland
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
that's how I've always done it .. but I still get skin rash on my fingers and wrist
Gosh , you must have some sort of allergy to it. Onions sting my eyes but I've never had garlic do it, and never get a skin rash off it. We use it a lot too. I just do it the same way as Janine. You could always buy lazy garlic , or the whole cloves you buy in jars?

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Gosh , you must have some sort of allergy to it. Onions sting my eyes but I've never had garlic do it, and never get a skin rash off it. We use it a lot too. I just do it the same way as Janine. You could always buy lazy garlic , or the whole cloves you buy in jars?

yes, my skin is very sensitive.. I had bad eczema from constant contact with oil when I worked offshore and in an oil refinery .. ever since they break out for very little reason.. skin is thin from using hormone creams ..

when I crush a garlic glove the juice squirts onto my wrist .. next day it is broken out.. so now I just ask Jan to do it.. for the amounts we use, Lazy garlic is too expensive

Also thought storing in oil was a good idea ..

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
Did you read the warnings about botulism posted after the video, Jim?
I've heard about it occurring when preserving chilli peppers in oil, not sure about garlic.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
Have you tried the jar method Jim? If you only use a little can you separate the bulb ok as the skin is still on at that point and then just put as many cloves as you need in the jar.

Never seen this method - wondered how long it would take, but then would you have a problem chopping/squishing it anyway? You may be better letting oh do it anyway.

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Dec 27, 2014
Funster No
1. Put full garlic bulbs in heatproof container.
2. Pour over boiling water and leave overnight.
3. Each clove now pushes out easily. Press each out into dish
4. Cover cloves with good olive oil
5. Add good amount of rock salt
6. Blend until smooth with stick blender ( or any blender)

Store in jar in fridge. Lasts for months. Brilliant way to have garlic to hand and no chopping or smell of raw garlic.
Usually do about 6 or 8 large bulbs at a time, learned this from a chef friend of mine.

Scattycat

Free Member
Jan 3, 2013
Mayenne, France
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
Since 2010
yes, my skin is very sensitive.. I had bad eczema from constant contact with oil when I worked offshore and in an oil refinery .. ever since they break out for very little reason.. skin is thin from using hormone creams ..

when I crush a garlic glove the juice squirts onto my wrist .. next day it is broken out.. so now I just ask Jan to do it.. for the amounts we use, Lazy garlic is too expensive

Also thought storing in oil was a good idea ..

I've suffered from various skin problems for years especially on my face and have recently come across a product from a company called 'PureOptions' and it seems to work quite well, apart from easing the discomfort it also creates an protective barrier.
Someone mentioned 'easy garlic' We bought it once but having read what was added to the paste to help preserve it we decided never again
We've found the best way to keep garlic is, as others have said, to freeze it

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
Show that garlic who's boss.

12288908.jpg

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
I've tried the egg yoke bottle method, and it does work.. but frankly find it quicker doing it the old fashioned way (no funny comments please)

@Wildman .. to make ice cream you only use the yokes

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
tried that.. bought food handling disposable gloves, but the latex ? irritates my skin as well..

We use the "Very Lazy Garlic" , in White Wine Vinegar (200gms) We get ours from Asda but we have seen it in Sainsburys.
No peeling/dehusking, just in with a teaspoon.
Also VL Ginger and VLChillies available, All good stuff

Made by English Provendor Company, PO Box5 Greenham, Berks RG19 6YP.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
We have (or maybe had, I've not seen it for a while!) one of these. Does the job very well.

garlic.jpg

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
that's how I've always done it .. but I still get skin rash on my fingers and wrist
Easy solution to preventing the rash, same as when chopping a chilli, before preparing either chilli or garlic pour a little olive oil on you holding fingers.
The olive oil will form a protective coat stopping the natural oils from the garlic and chilli from getting onto your fingers.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Great link Jim. As Jonkil, I break the bulb but not the cloves, chuck what I need in a bowel with boiling water, five minutes later peeled cloves of garlic.

What I hadn't tried was the oil salt and blender! Will now :) Thanks Jonkil

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back