LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
Our last motorhome had an electric step which retracted when the engine started...brilliant.

Our new Hymer step doesn't. Not brilliant.

There is a step, with a switch by the door to lower and retract, there is supposed to be an audible alarm when the engine starts, with a button on the dash to retract the step.

The alarm doesn't work, where should we be looking to mend it? How do we mend it?

Anyone else had this problem?

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Be slightly grateful, one less annoying noise, do you have a switch in the cab?

My first look is in my mirrors I tend to see it before I get the alarm

On a plus note though, if all you are doing is going on to ramps or similar small move, it will be nice to do it without the alarm going off

As for mending it, sorry, don't do mending, I seem to be into destruction of my Hymer :D

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Mousy

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
Be slightly grateful, one less annoying noise, do you have a switch in the cab?

Yes we think so, got a few small buttons not sure what a few of them do!

Lol, you do make me laugh. Thanks for your refreshing honesty David.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Where will find those?

its a job for a dry day, ours is right up under the floor where the step reaches when closed, you will need the step out to see it and if the same as ours you are looking for something the size of a thick pencil with a rubber boot over it, the switch is inside

does the electric step work OK, other than the alarm?

I suspect someone might have disconnected the buzzer if they had the same issue we did, the step went away but the buzzer wouldn't stop, drove us and Lola bonkers, we had a tea towel wrapped round the controller where the buzzer is

OP
OP
Mousy

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
Yes the step works fine. Just a bit nervous about driving off with it down, but if the alarm is a pain, may leave well alone.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Hi Mousy

When ours stopped beeping it was the earth contact switch inside the mechanism housing at the back of the step, I drilled out the pop rivet and put a brass screw and nut instead.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Where will find those?

There should be a black box at the back of the step, when you get the cover off you will see the switch that will most likely look like and old fashioned car door/interior light switch which when closed sets off the beeper, you can test it by just shorting the wires together.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Mine doesnt have a buzzer, never has had.
i guess Americans arent as gadget reliant as Europeans.

Hab door closed, ign on, step retracted with a subtle clunk, CHECK IN MIRROR.

Jul 8, 2008
Weymouth, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
c build
Exp
6 yr
instal12valu_5.jpg
might help

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
The buzzer switch wires are the grey and brown shown in the bottom left diagram where it says omnistep, so if you short grey to earth/brown it should buzz, if it does just sort the switch out as that will be the issue.

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
It may not be a problem with the switch / buzzer contact. I see you have a Sprinter-based Hymer. If it is like mine, the step warning buzzer is beneath the driver's seat (or passenger's if RHD) next to the Elektroblok. The buzzer is a very simple affair: a small white plastic cube. This is attached to the metal of the seat base with a self-adhesive pad and the whole box section then acts as a resonator, or sounding board, to amplify the buzz. Try listening under the seat with the step out and the engine running. If you can hear a faint buzz then the buzzer has fallen off the seat base. You need to find it by 'fishing around' and then re-attach it to the steel box section with a fresh adhesive. Be careful, the wires connecting the buzzer to the EBL are quite fine and could be torn off by rough handling. If this is the cause of the problem but you cannot find the buzzer then it will probably be a 'seat out' job.

I am assuming that yours has the EBL beneath the seat and that the buzzer is with it. I know this was the case with the twin-headlamp B Star-lines made between 2000-2005.

OP
OP
Mousy

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
Thanks for the pm had missed these replies.

Ours is a merc based LHD auto.

More investigation by us is needed. We are away in the van for the first time this weekend. Hopefully a couple of Funsters will be crawling around under the step!

I'll keep you all posted, thanks for the replies.

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
Thanks for the pm had missed these replies.

Ours is a merc based LHD auto.

More investigation by us is needed. We are away in the van for the first time this weekend. Hopefully a couple of Funsters will be crawling around under the step!

I'll keep you all posted, thanks for the replies.

I'll tell him to bring his knee pads and a cushion.......

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
I can see that this new van is going to be nothing but trouble, so can I suggest that I take it off your hands for £25,000..........Griff.......No, no don't thank me, that's just the sort of guy I am.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back