Continental virgins require fresh aire. (2 Viewers)

RogueStorm

Free Member
Jan 8, 2015
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Peugeot Boxer Compass 740
Exp
Three years, Western West Europe 2015, Eastern West Europe (and some Western East Europe) 2016.
We're planning our trip starting on the second of March, Newhaven - Dieppe and then south. We're catching the 10am boat arriving in Dieppe at 1500 local. We are heading, initially, for Nailhac, my cousins place, right of Bordeaux and above Toulouse, before hearing into Spain. We were going to drive for a couple of hours, find an Aire, spend the night for a leisurely trip the next morning, however, I've been told it can get dark fairly quickly in France and as I don't want to be stumbling into my first ever aire in the dark, we plan on staying in one of the Dieppe aires on arrival. Apart from the fact that they cost an extortionate €7 for the night does anyone have any reservations/suggestions for an alternate first night? We'll be travelling towards Rouen - no tolls.

TIA.

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
Dunno on this particularly part of your travels but no prob when next to Toulouse for a stopover at my place. Not far from the ring road, only 3 minutes or so to get to my place.
Let me know if interested so I can give you my details in a PM

Amicalement

Frankie:)

Easyliving

Free Member
Dec 4, 2012
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
Hi

I know plenty of funsters are fans of the aire at La Mailleraye Sur Seine. Its about 71km from Dieppe according to Google maps. Aire is in Rouen direction and you park literally a metre from the Seine, nice town too.

Here's one of Keith Chesterfield's excellent videos:

Have a great time.

Paul

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
Decide how you feel when you arrive in Dieppe. If you don't want to drive on the Aire is 200metres from the ferry, really easy to access and you can walk to the town if you want, 5 mins pleasant walk. I've used the Aire a few times on my own and felt perfectly ok.

If you decide to drive on just pick a town or village say an hour and a half drive and there's sure to be an Aire in the locality.

I've stayed on a really nice, privately owned one probably along the way you're going but can't remember where exactly. Owner has a workshop there, builds vehicles? Wooden vehicles?

Apr 12, 2010
Bury St Edmunds, West Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg Cara
Exp
since 2007
Hi

I know plenty of funsters are fans of the aire at La Mailleraye Sur Seine. Its about 71km from Dieppe according to Google maps. Aire is in Rouen direction and you park literally a metre from the Seine, nice town too.

Have a great time.

Paul

Excellent aire. cost us 7€ in high season,( hardly extortionate) dont know about low season.
Phil

gozomike

Funster Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 16, 2010
Warwickshire - sometimes - but not often
Funster No
MH
Wildax Constellation
Exp
Since August 2008
cost us 7€ in high season,( hardly extortionate) dont know about low season.

I have used it a few times and normally they come around for payment but when I stopped in November it was free.(y)

Easyliving

Free Member
Dec 4, 2012
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
According to Vicarious Books my copy of their latest All the Aires France guide has 'been despatched' and I am quite excited about receiving it (sad I know). I know there are plenty of free / cheap aires guides and apps but I find the Vicarious Books one very good.

Steve101uk

Free Member
Jun 6, 2012
EUROPEAN UNION
Funster No
MH
Pilote G740 C
Exp
since 2007 caravan before that
Hi

Have a great time.

Paul

Agree with this, we paid 5 euro a night in July this year. Problem with this aire is you wont want to leave!

There are some pics of the aire in my gallery

OP
OP
RogueStorm

RogueStorm

Free Member
Jan 8, 2015
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Exp
Three years, Western West Europe 2015, Eastern West Europe (and some Western East Europe) 2016.
We have the Aires books for France, Spain and Portugal. I think, even driving for an hour after getting off the ferry it is likely to be dark or getting there. Having seen some good reviews and none bad about the Dieppe sites we'll probably stay at one of those and make a leisurely start the next morning. The extortionate €7 a night quip was tongue in cheek.

Many thanks for the replies; if there are any more options or ideas, keep them coming.

We will certainly keep the La Mailleraye Sur Seine in our options list for our return journey at the end of May. It looks great.

Thanks.

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
We have the Aires books for France, Spain and Portugal. I think, even driving for an hour after getting off the ferry it is likely to be dark or getting there. Having seen some good reviews and none bad about the Dieppe sites we'll probably stay at one of those and make a leisurely start the next morning. The extortionate €7 a night quip was tongue in cheek.

Many thanks for the replies; if there are any more options or ideas, keep them coming.

We will certainly keep the La Mailleraye Sur Seine in our options list for our return journey at the end of May. It looks great.

Thanks.

And the nearby Brotonne bridge over the Seine is FREE !!
I use the Aire going and returning. There is another nice Aire at La Fleche as you head South. See picture.
Free, park alongside the river and free water. Just a nice days driving distance from Mailleraye.
Being very mean and never in a hurry, this is a cross country Aire. Not near the toll roads.

P1050239.JPG

Glandwr

Banned
Jul 10, 2014
the Berwyn Mountains
Funster No
MH
Hymer S740
Exp
since 2009
If you have a smartphone or tablet there are a number of apps that will show you aires on route or near to you wherever you are. I use compercontact (small charge but will work off line) and CampingCarinfos (CCinfos) a free French site. Beteeen them I reckon the list every aire there is. A quick look shows 8/9 on or near the main road to Rouen and just beyond. You will need french or dutch to read the reviews but the ratings will give you a good idea. You can set a filter on the dutch one to show free ones only LOL

Dick

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Since 2011, previously a tugger
Hi

I know plenty of funsters are fans of the aire at La Mailleraye Sur Seine. Its about 71km from Dieppe according to Google maps. Aire is in Rouen direction and you park literally a metre from the Seine, nice town

This was also the very first Aire we stayed during our initial venture to Spain. It is delightful with the town just a short walk away. You would not be disappointed. Have fun!

Last edited:

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Having lost '"OUR" virginity in November, all I can say is. Don't worry.
Alright, we had been on the Continent before tugging a caravan but that is not the same.
You said,"We're catching the 10am boat arriving in Dieppe at 1500 local." You then in a later thread posted, "I think, even driving for an hour after getting off the ferry it is likely to be dark or getting there."
Can I point out that the 2nd March is the equivelent of 10th October as far as the Sun setting. The Lighting up time in France will be at about 6.45pm (one hour later than the UK) and getting better the further you drive south.
The only way I can describe Aires to a first timer is thus.
Imagine you find a car that is a bit exotic. You've not seen many of them on the road but really fancy one so you buy it.
The following day and for days after that, all you see coming in the opposite direction is the model you have bought.
Aires are like that. You wouldn't know they were there until you drive through rural France in a motorhome/camper and, surprise surprise, every city, town village, and sometimes hamlet seems to have them. They're everywhere.
Put your worries away, you'll have a great time.

Last edited:

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
If you have a smartphone or tablet there are a number of apps that will show you aires on route or near to you wherever you are. I use compercontact (small charge but will work off line) and CampingCarinfos (CCinfos) a free French site. Beteeen them I reckon the list every aire there is. A quick look shows 8/9 on or near the main road to Rouen and just beyond. You will need french or dutch to read the reviews but the ratings will give you a good idea. You can set a filter on the dutch one to show free ones only LOL

Dick

Hi Dick, I've downloaded the free version of the Campercontact app, seems pretty good and I'm tempted to purchase the upgrade. Can you answer a question; looking at areas in France I'm familier with, I notice quite a lot of Aires not showing. I'm wondering would they appear on the purchased up-grade? Dave

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
Lots more appear on the paid version as I found out. Pity I can't read Dutch for the reviews though. You can read them translated on pc but not on phone.

Glandwr

Banned
Jul 10, 2014
the Berwyn Mountains
Funster No
MH
Hymer S740
Exp
since 2009
Hi Dick, I've downloaded the free version of the Campercontact app, seems pretty good and I'm tempted to purchase the upgrade. Can you answer a question; looking at areas in France I'm familier with, I notice quite a lot of Aires not showing. I'm wondering would they appear on the purchased up-grade? Dave
Yes there are more, there is also the option to download a picture gallery and full offline mapping (do it at home or on free wifi). As I said what is not on that one is on CCinfos (free but you need 3g or wifi). There is talk of a CCinfos offline version (paid for) you can I think, buy it on a USB stick too. Both cover the whole of europe Turkey and Morocco.

Dick

54mud

Free Member
Sep 18, 2009
Stone, Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
24 on and off
There is an aire here
1485 Route du Bac
76940 Saint-Nicolas-de-Bliquetuit
France
that we stayed at, on our first night when we did the Dieppe crossing. And you miss going through Rouen.

OP
OP
RogueStorm

RogueStorm

Free Member
Jan 8, 2015
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Exp
Many thanks for the replies guys, there's a lot to think about. I think we'll probably suck it and see; if it's grotty weather on the day we go over we'll probably stay in Dieppe, if it's a beautiful sunny day we could push on. One way or another we'll be spending a night at an Aires between Dieppe and Nailhac. I'll let you know which option we go for in six weeks.

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
There is an aire here
1485 Route du Bac
76940 Saint-Nicolas-de-Bliquetuit
France
that we stayed at, on our first night when we did the Dieppe crossing. And you miss going through Rouen.
Hi, We've used this one twice, bit out in the sticks, nice riverside aire, village about a mile away.
aire gps N49.52083 E00.72778
We went via Yvetot so avoided Rouen. here's a couple of pic's of there.
upload_2015-1-20_16-5-27.jpeg

upload_2015-1-20_16-6-33.jpeg

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
This is a wonderful Aire, we wanted to stay here last October but when we arrived the water had just been turned off and as we needed some we moved onto La Mailleraye Sur Seine which is also lovely.

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
Yes, We've stopped at La mailleraye several times, very nice also. Clere's is OK but we have been there twice both times it's been quite busy, nice town but once when we were there they had a wedding reception on in the sports hall behind the aire very noisy (enjoying there selves) went on all night with fireworks at 2.30 am

ojibway

Free Member
Jul 17, 2012
Eastbourne
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005
Nothing wrong with Dieppe - we have stayed there many times but not since they made parking available on the main seafront.
There is a really nice little cocktail bar by the Hotel de L'Europe run by a father and son, worth a visit!
Considering how generous the French are to motorhomers - of all nationalities - compared to the UK, I wouldn't baulk at paying sometimes. As British motorhomers we can have very cheap holidays there;)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back